Gordon Lightfoot: where does he rank to you among the greats?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Feat77, Feb 21, 2020.

1. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

Summer Side Of Life is his best album in my opinion.

Headfone and wrappedinsky like this.
  2. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

Precisely why I never want to meet any of my favorite artists. Awkward? Yeah, probably. Will the encounter make me like his music more? Probably not. On the other hand, could it make me not want to ever hear his music again?...

Glenn coates and Record Rotator like this.
  3. Lilainjil

Lilainjil Forum Resident

Theme from Mannix. Brilliant.

I'm guessing that's Rick Moranis doing his best Gord?

gregorya likes this.
  4. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Hi, FR.

Sadly, likely not. I lived in Northern Illinois about 60 miles from Wrigley Field during that time. I was a Gord fan even then, though, and would've enjoyed spinnin' his creations with you.

Gordon played a concert in Fall, 1975 at the Community College I was attending. He was touring on Sundown, and previewed Cherokee Bend & other material from the upcoming album, Cold On The Shoulder. Red Shea & either John Stockfish or Rick Haynes were accompanying him, but no drummer. That was his touring band at the time.

Be well,

GT

5. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Oh, gawd! I hope you're not right. I'm going to meet my hero (Steve Kilbey, of The Church), at a concert in June.

6. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Yep. Old Dan's Records is right up there as well...Farewell to Annabelle, That Same Old Obsession, Hi-Way Songs, the Title track,....

Bern, tillywilly17, rd1 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

starfieldroad likes this.
  8. wrappedinsky

Uh-oh....I've read a bit about Steve, and apparently he can be a bit dodgy! (I love The Church btw. I have most of their CDs, and even got to see them in concert a couple of years ago.)

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’ve told this story in other Gord threads. He works out downtown here in Toronto at a gym in the Sheraton Hotel, which is also near my work. A few years back, one day while walking to work I thought I saw Gord talking to this busker who used to frequent the same location. A few days later I asked him if that was Gord he was chatting with. He told me that Gord often stopped to chat, and had givien him a pair of tickets to his upcoming show at Massey Hall (open at the time).

Gord is not — by nature — an unpleasant man. But alcohol takes its toll, and we all have off days...

10. lightfootfan

lightfootfan Forum Resident

He is VERY appreciated here in Canada (awards in the music business and honours goivn from the government as well as statue and bust commissioned and installed in his hometown of Orillia, north of Toronto) and the U.S. loves him as well.. he tours constantly in the U.S. and always has.. He had a major tour again in the U.K. a few years ago..

11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Mine too.

Gord, your avatar, Mr Fogelberg and Al Stewart. Nary a duff song from any of them.

Record Rotator likes this.
  12. lightfootfan

lightfootfan Forum Resident

Are you speaking of Lightfoot the man or Lightfoot the artist? Sad that a one time encounter would have you deny yourself the pleasure of his music. During his 'off' years he probably had times when he wasn't all that pleasant all the time. His bio LIGHTFOOT by Nicholas Jennings delves into his alcoholism as does the recent documentary where he candidly speaks of his regrets and attempts at redemption ...

13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

He was excellent on that UK tour.

14. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

In full agreement with this post,

15. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident

about #43

16. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Gord is absolutely one of the greats. Too many favorite songs to even list. Most of his Lps are very high quality start to finish.

17. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

What a great gift for using words Gordon has! A true wordsmith! Like his guitar work and melodies as well. one of the very best in the singer-songwriter category.

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Many thanks for posting. Excellent stuff. Needs to be on a CD! :righton:

Has he got any official live releases from the Seventies? I have Sunday Concert and All Live but that's it.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Outstanding, isn't it?

I play it regularly at open mic nights and even with my meagre talents, it goes down well.

Glenn coates and Gramps Tom like this.
  20. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

For the sake of fairness, when I met him in 2000, I found just the opposite to be true.

21. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Gordon Lightfoot ranks high on the list of greats to me - an outstanding singer and songwriter.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

on the top for me...an amazing man.

23. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Lightfoot and Fogelberg are my two absolute favorite singer-songwriters. As for that third singer-songwriter, I suppose that, for me, it's a toss-up between Al Stewart, Jackson Browne, and Neil Young, depending on my mood (though, admittedly, it's primarily based on their '70s works).

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I think that's where Al has an edge for me. Like Dan and Gord, he's not released anything I haven't enjoyed. Jackson Browne and Neil Young have made some brilliant records and a bunch I haven't connected with. Both huge talents though.

Gramps Tom and Record Rotator like this.
  25. wrappedinsky

It appears that that's all there is to choose from. I would love to have that BBC concert I linked on CD!

carlwm likes this.