Got a UMG story?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vinylbeast, Mar 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylbeast

Vinylbeast But does it sound good? Thread Starter

So mine is that I got email Monday morning, 3/15, my birthday, saying Blue Note store was doing 20% off this week. Thought I would give them a shot on some TP releases since they became same price as what Target.com usually sells them for and treat myself for turning 40. Saw they had Lee Morgan- The Cooker and Cornbread both in stock along with Introducing Kenny Burrell. Added all 3 to my cart, paid and got confirmation email saying they would be shipped by 3/18. Just emailed them requesting an update to my order and they of course sent a robo message, followed by an actual message from a customer service rep. Said my order would be shipping around 3/29, but not sure. I questioned why it would take 2 weeks from date ordered/paid and now crickets on their end. So I am sure I cant be only one, whats your stories on dealing with big corporate vinyl conglomerates like this? Mainly just needed to vent. But frustrating as now Burrell title says its out of stock. So who knows if it will ship.

2. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

Oh boy, you are in for quite a ride. I have quite an endless collection of UMG stories.

Honestly, UMG is the absolute worst company to deal with when it comes to shipping things. I've placed dozens of orders for merch from UMG artists over the past few years, and the experience is always nothing short of awful. Not a single order that I have placed has ever shipped on time. The first few times it was frustrating, but sadly it's the norm for them so I've come to expect it. I wouldn't mind if I didn't have to always reach out asking for updates. A lot of the time, if it's beyond the listed shipping window, if you send them an angry e-mail, that sometimes gets the ball rolling. Other times it's a generic "we're experiencing a production delay and you selected ship all items together when the last item becomes available blah blah blah". The sad part about it is they do not care one bit about customer service. The generic e-mail is always accompanied by a half-assed 'take it or leave it' offer to cancel the order.

I have noticed that since Billboard changed rules and does not allow a physical sale to count towards an album or song's chart position, they've pressed and shipped out a lot of CD singles rather quickly, but that's about it.

Look them up on the Better Business Bureau. It's quite entertaining to read all of the complaints and to see that everyone is in the same boat.

Dubmart and Vinylbeast like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Got a couple of the Beatles mono vinyl boxes from them for around $150 each. Took a little while to ship, but that's fine.

No complaints in this case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.