Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

A Reconstruction track is on this release, though...

[​IMG]

The Very Best of Jerry Garcia - Wikipedia

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Interesting.

That's from 2008, which I believe would have meant it was still under 'the widder Koons' and not the current Garcia Family entity.

US Blues likes this.
  3. Sad news. She was a key component of the JGB sound. RIP.

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Listening to the Pure Jerry Merriweather Post Pavilion set from September '89, RIP Gloria. A hot couple of shows, with the second one maybe being slightly hotter. I had tickets and a ride to these shows, but was flat broke and sold the tickets and passed. I did catch the two Great Woods shows and the Hartford Civic show slightly later in the tour, the latter of which is half of the Long Island Sound release. The Great Woods shows were very good as well, I thought Clarence Clemmons was a much better fit with the JGB than he was with the Dead.

Billy_Sunday, trd, Blue Note and 4 others like this.
  5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

This one is great . . .

"Since it cost a lot to win, and even more to lose; You and me bound to spend some time wondering what to choose" . . .

[​IMG]
    1972/2014 Round Records (3) ‎– JGFRR1005 (KPG@CA).
    Record Store Day Limited edition of 1500 copies white 180 gram vinyl. Includes Garcia sticker and download card.

Billy_Sunday, trd, ianuaditis and 6 others like this.
  6. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

I’m very psyched for this next release, and hope the sound quality of the source tapes is good. Wish I had gotten to see the JGB at a cool West Coast venue like Eel River. It sounds idyllic. I guess Magic Mountain, in the Catskills, was the most interesting outdoor venue I saw the Jerry Band play. One of the few outdoor venues, for that matter. I did get to see him in some good indoor venues, theaters and even the Roseland, but alas, only East Coast.

Very sad news. She played as big a role in the excellent sound of the latter day JGB as anyone else whose initials weren’t JJG. RIP, Gloria.

I’ve wondered about the legalities of the various Garcia solo project tapes and entities, and who owns & controls what, especially for projects like Reconstruction that weren’t “Jerry Garcia Band” and presumed legal implications of that. (I have no real insight or knowledge, just to be clear.). You’d imagine though, that all the various families would have an incentive to generate revenue by releasing whatever they have that is marketable.

I’ve assumed that JG gave David Grisman the rights to control all the studio and live music they created together during the last 6 years of Garcia’s life. I’m surprised Grisman hasn’t yet released any live shows, but I guess he wants to hold onto some for future release/retirement income.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  7. ianuaditis

Yeah, that's another curious one. I've only heard a couple of Garcia/Grisman tapes and the SQ was not great, maybe that's a factor. Grisman is 73 by now, and he hasn't released anything with JG since 2004, so maybe he should think about it, if he has the tapes.
    Finally bothered to search for this, now I feel dumb for telling you about your own post from last year.

Dennis has some thoughts on GASB around page 70 or so of this thread, also ties in to what Waterlemon is saying here.

Basically his take was Grisman seems like the type who, if he had the tapes, would have put them out already.

WaterLemon, budwhite and Daedalus like this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I agree, but I have to say that by the end of the second Great Woods show, I was starting to feel like Clemons was taking a little more solo time away from Jerry than I might have liked.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah the only time I saw JGB was with Clemons (sept 89 at Brendan Byrne, maybe the 8th or 9th?). In retrospect I wish I'd seen them without, CC was cool but I'd rather hear Jerry blast extra.

Daedalus, Crispy Rob, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Popping in a few days late to say RIP to Gloria Jones... her voice (along with Jackie) certainly helped me appreciate the 1991 JGB release when I first encountered Jerry's work outside the Dead.

Also super excited for the Eel River box, happily placed my pre-order even being completely unfamiliar with those shows.

11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Yeah. I thought a Warfield box set would have been put together with a concert video included.

WaterLemon likes this.
  12. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Some Grisman-Garcia shows were filmed. Vimeo has a show (not sure it is complete) recorded and filmed professionally at a bar-type place. Audio is good and clear but heavily favoring one channel over the other.

You tube has plenty of clips, I wonder who has the masters.

Daedalus, ianuaditis and uzn007 like this.
  13. Daedalus

I have to think that Grisman has them. Some Warfield footage was used in the video that was put out a few years ago. “Grateful Dawg”.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  14. Daedalus

Gloria, Jackie and Melvin brought Church/ gospel into the music big time. Helped create that special timeless gravitas to that band-this Band was so much more than “show biz”. Accentuated some of the trends Jerry was exploring earlier during the Cats sessions I think.

15. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

16. Daedalus

Some reports out there that Peter Shapiro is working with the Garcia estate to bring a music venue to Chicago. Do far no details or confirmation from Shapiro, etc.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

18. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

19. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

ianuaditis, US Blues and uzn007 like this.
  20. ianuaditis

I haven't even been to the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester personally, but I'm from the area (of course it reopened a couple of years after I moved 100 miles away,) but literally everyone I've talked to about it thinks its great.

US Blues and Joe Spivey like this.
  21. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Just threw on GarciaLive Vol 7 (1976-11-8).

One thing that came to mind. As much as I enjoy Bob’s playing, almost goes without saying, it is nice to have Jerry and Keith’s interplay right at the forefront of the mix/show. Sometimes with the GoGD if you aren’t paying close attention to everything at once, it is easy to miss amazing things. Almost like a small trade of complexity for groove and feel. Great change of pace music for me and I’m sure for Jerry as well.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Well put.

23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

So, getting geared up for the Steve Parish radio show next month and the upcoming Eel release, Ive been on a bit of a JGB bender.

One often(IMHO) overlooked period of prolific Garcia output is the period from Oct 93-April 94. I saw close to a dozen solo performances during this time, including a fanastic east coast tour, and often forget just how incredible the music was. No official release from this time period but there are some fantastic audience recordings out there and even a couple of decent boards if you poke around

Following the Fall MSG GD shows, I headed west for several utterly jaw dropping shows at the Warfield. Sublime performances of Shining Star and the Maker jump out at me from this run, but Jerry's sound was so clean and his vocals strong, I though this band was really clicking. My first JGB shows since the 91 east coast tour and it was a long haul only to pop back east for several weeks, but I hold those October Warfield shows dear to my heart. I also was able to meet the man outside one sunny afternoon, briefcase in hand, but that's another story altogether...

Heading back east, it was great to see some incredible shows on this tour, this felt more akin to what "tour" was like before the big GD fanbase growth in the late 80's(and the camping ban). Halloween at the meadowlands was especially fun, but thought every show was fantastic.

I had such a great time on this run when someone offered me tickets to the LA GD shows in December, how could I resist? This improved my Branford record to 3 of his last 4 appearances( Spring90, Fall91, Dec94). but Ornette Coleman? That was a surprise....

January found me back at the Warfield for 2 Garcia Grisman shows, the only time I saw this lineup. I was thrilled with every second of these 2 shows although a case of mistaken identity found me with a policemans' gun pointed at me in Golden Gate Park before the 2nd show. Another new experience....

I decided to hang on for another couple of weeks and am glad I did, the 3 night run at the Warfield(2/4-6/94) really brought my 6 month( Started in Eugene in August) fullcircle. These MAY have been the best shows I saw during the entire period....new drummer Donny Baldwin s first shows

Then reality struck and it was time to get a job. And Jerry got married....

But oh what a run it was. Maybe someday a full release will officially acknowledge this prolific time

24. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Aquarium Dunkard's "Unearthed" series (rarity-themed mixtape) is focused on Jerry at the Matrix

Unearthed, Vol. 4 :: Jerry Garcia & Friends at the Matrix, 1966-71

1. Viola Lee Blues (11/29/66) – The Grateful Dead / 2. Dark Star Jam (10/30/68) – Mickey and the Hartbeats / 3. Death Letter Blues (10/30/68) – Mickey and the Hartbeats / 4. Jam (12/24/68) – Jerry Garcia, Harvey Mandel and Elvin Bishop / 5. Soldier’s Joy (2/19/69) – High Country / 6. Triad (12/15/70) – David & The Dorks / 7. Free Flight (1970) – Jerry Garcia & Howard Wales / 8. All I Ever Wanted (7/30/70) – New Riders of the Purple Sage / 9. Rosalie McFall (7/30/70) – The Grateful Dead / 10-11. Save Mother Earth Jam-Funk Space Jam (1971) – Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders words / t wilcox

Haven't listened to is yet but looking forward to checking it out.

Here is the link

25. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Great post! (And not just because I agree with you. ;-) ) Agreed that Meadowlands ‘93 Jerry show was super fun and quite good! Great memories of that show (and subsequent tour). I had never really seen multiple shows on a Jerry Band tour, but timing was everything, and after really loving that “Halloween Opening Night” I caught a bunch of dates around the East Coast. One just seemed to lead to another. Faith was rewarded with the Murray MSG show. I had lived with a couple of jazz musicians so I had been super into David Murray before he ever played with the Dead. And while I lived in New York City, it was kinda fun to hit a bunch of the “classic” Dead venues from the era. I must admit, as much as I loved that tour, I can’t say I’ve listened to it much since then. Yes, I think a release would be great—but as I said—haven’t dug into that tour in a while.

And also really looking forward to Eel River!