Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

12/21 & 12/22/76

budwhite and E_Braunn_Fan like this.
  2. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Thanks! Never knew these shows even existed.

trd likes this.
  3. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

On those 12/76 shows that isn't Garcia on pedal steel (it's John Rich). Not that isn't nice, it is, but some people my think Garcia broke out the pedal steel.

uzn007, WaterLemon, sami and 4 others like this.
  4. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

You're saying it's not release worthy because people might think Jerry is playing guitar and steel simultaneously?

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
  5. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

They're sleepy in the best of ways and the steel adds such an interesting element of texture to a format we're so accustomed

E_Braunn_Fan and trd like this.
  6. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

When did I say it wasn’t release worthy? I don’t believe I even addressed that aspect. My point is that when someone seems the pedal steel mentioned with respect to a dead or Garcia show they may think he played it, which he doesn’t.

uzn007, Tom H, sami and 5 others like this.
  7. trd

trd Forum Resident

I appreciate the clarification! I wasn’t aware of these shows and assumed it was JG on the steel. I still want to hear them though!

KCWhistle, sami, J Borland and 3 others like this.
  8. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

1976 is a mixed bag for JGB. There are a number of shows in which the playing is not inspiring. I prefer the shows early in the year as opposed to late but there are some mice fall shows as well.

Crosseyed, trd, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

10. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

We’re talking about the next Garcia live and you’re saying a steel player would confuse people. It struct me as a weird thing to say is all. It would be cleared up in two seconds with a blurb about the show. And even if people saw “steel” and “jgb” they’d probably be like “woah I’ve never heard those two things together, I should check that out”

trd likes this.
  11. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Thank you for that link. They should compile and release that unreleased 1976 JGB studio album.

I always wondered if they have any of the recordings that Kahn talked about of JGB playing all the Beatles songs and jazz standards during rehearsals.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    trd likes this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I seem to remember that a "Garcia plays Beatles" rehearsal clip from the 70's turned up on Lossless Legs recently, pretty informal as I remember.

trd and E_Braunn_Fan like this.
  13. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I just listened to this show on your recommendation, and it's fantastic! I enjoyed the whole show, but the second set really picks up with the full band involved. Tons of great interplay. Thanks for posting it!

The Thrill is Gone
    Old Rocking Chair
    So What
    Off to Sea Once More
    Friend of the Devil
    Dawg's Waltz
    Russian Lullaby
    Arabia
    Ripple

[​IMG]

US Blues, bzfgt, SJR and 4 others like this.
  14. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

As a poster collector, I must say, not a piece that I feel I would enjoy owning.

jmcinnis and luvtotha9s like this.
  15. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

I only went with the CD/Shirt Bundle this go round...I wasn't feeling the Poster either.

Bossyman likes this.
  16. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Ugh, same old setlist. JGB’s downfall.

17. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I really liked the T-shirt actually, so I sprung for the CD/shirt bundle this time. My father-in-law is an artist and we have tons of his work so wall space is not really something we have to spare.

adamos and US Blues like this.
  18. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Pretty excited for vol 17. The set list is :pineapple:
    Must be something about the t-shirt because I picked it up too.

adamos and Freebird like this.
  19. trd

trd Forum Resident

I need another t-shirt like I need a hole in my head but I like this one and their shirts are pretty HQ. I grabbed the download though, I’ve stopped with the physical releases for the Jerry releases after the Eel Box. Need to cut down on physical media somehow and that’s not an option with Dave’s and I like the content and packaging of the GD boxes

KCWhistle, adamos, sami and 1 other person like this.
  20. sami

sami Mono still rules

I've gotten to the point that I'll usually settle for a SBD if it's a clean one. I know the official release will be a bit better, but unless the shows and setlists are among my favorites a good SBD will be just fine. I'm not a completest anyway, and the frequency of releases has gotten insane.

Erik B., E_Braunn_Fan and trd like this.
  21. trd

trd Forum Resident

Can’t say I blame you. I didn’t buy the most recent Melvin era release for just this reason

sami and E_Braunn_Fan like this.
  22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I did that too; I think it’s the first time I’ve bitten on related merchandise but I thought it looked cool.

Daedalus, trd and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Agree. The first two JGB shows I heard from '76 did nothing for me, and turned me off from the year for a long time. That caused me to skip the Don't Let Go release when it first came out, but that one turned out to be a hot show. The '76 show that they released earlier in the GL series is pleasant enough, but kind of "meh" overall.

trd likes this.
  24. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Yes. “Eschew” is too strong of a word I think in that context.

25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I thought that also until I revisited it.

uzn007 and US Blues like this.