Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

It is going to be a while before there is a Reconstruction release but there are a lot of really good shows already in circulation.

Daedalus and MorningDew like this.
  2. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

What is the Reconstruction?

3. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

4. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

GarciaLive Vol. 5 was 12/31/75--Nicky's final show with the JGB. Sort of easy to tell why he was fired after this gig, even though it's a great show...

Crispy Rob and uzn007 like this.
  5. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

IWT. I’m in for the poster and CD.

JimSmiley and Gary C like this.
  6. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

There are a number of SBDs of the JGB fall 1983 tour for example, balance may not be perfect but worthy of release IMO. But where the masters are located is a whole 'nother issue, as dminches indicates.

7. sami

sami Mono still rules

That's very true. I have about a dozen, and they all sound very good to great.

8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

In this era when other bands (e.g. King Crimson) have released cleaned-up versions of audience recordings, maybe that is an option that the Garcia family could explore for a future release.

Given the economics, it's not surprising that they haven't yet done it, as they already own a vault full of content that requires much less effort to produce, I suppose one can only hope that eventually desperation will force them down that avenue.

KCWhistle and sami like this.
  9. sami

sami Mono still rules

They picked the worst show of that entire run, at least among those I have heard. It was certainly Weir's presence in the second set that was the reason. I have about fifteen Nicky shows, and while I listen to Let It Rock because it's an amazing release, I might have spun GL5 once or twice. There are 4-5 shows from that run that would make fantastic GarciaLive releases.

10. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

They BADLY need to start considering matrixes of early 80's shows. There are so many superb AUD from that era which would pair well with the FOH cassettes. Otherwise we're stuck in the 70's (no complaints for me - plenty more to explore) and the 90's. There's too much inbetween untapped

11. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I don’t think that will happen given the economics of these releases. If they knew they would sell 100k units it could be a consideration. However, I think the number could be closer to 15k which would make the cost of producing a matrix recording prohibitive.

I don’t know the spefics but this would be my guess.

ianuaditis and MorningDew like this.
  12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Sure mixing increases production costs but they’d be able to drum up excitement with the right pick — enough to justify it IMO. Also all their vinyl sets do really well I don’t exactly think they’re in the red.

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Terrific choice!

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

One of the Dave's Picks was a matrix (11/30/80). Would an early 80's JGB show sell as much? Seems possible, but I don't know.

15. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Make it a JGB matrix box set. Pick 6-8 top tier shows from the early/mid 80s that have good board and audience recordings. Easy seller and should be cost effective.

Crispy Rob, Daedalus and uzn007 like this.
  16. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I remember Vince Welnicks band opened the 10/31/92 show and played Here Comes Sunshine, Golden Road and Long Way to Go Home. I believe that HCS pre dates the Dead’s breakout.

17. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yes, HCS came back with the GD in December of '92.

Mad Dog likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Vince said in interviews that he wanted the Dead to do Golden Road. Reportedly Garcia refused. I heard a cover Vince did of Cream Puff War a bit later and he could do a good imitation of Garcia's 1967 singing style.

Crispy Rob, Daedalus, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  19. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

Old and In the Way: Breakdown, Boarding House SF, 10/73 recorded by Bear and friend. Garcia, Grisman, Vassar Clements, John Kahn & Peter Rowan. Quite an outfit.

jb

20. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

re the new JGB release- Interesting news- tho a little disappointing. I've had the soundboard of this show for years, and really liked it --and one big reason (its a fine show otherwise as I remember too) - it had the only version I had (before it was released on some other recent live volumes) of Jerry's version of one of my favorite songs, 'what a wonderful world' (that is, the jazzy song made famous by louis armstrong( "I've seen trees of green, red roses too.... and i think to myself, what a wonderful world", not the other song with the similar title (sam cooke (?) song) ("don't know much about history.....what a wonderful world it could be") (which is a fine song too, but I really love the louis armstrong one better as a song.. great chord changes to dig into as a player, too.

a quick check of the 10/31/92 setlist shows that I have official live versions from that era (1989-93)of almost everything on it, from multiple versions on the other releases. I'm not sure if I have many other versions of JGB doing 'werewolves', tho I do have that halloween '87 show, where I think he opens with it in the electric set).. and the only other 'the maker' I think I have is from the 'shining star' compilation, which version is from '93 I think.

somehow all the above is telling me that this release, tho a nice thing to have out there, is not something I need to buy all that badly. Part of the problem with JGB in the late 80's and 90s is-- yeah, it sounds great almost all the time, and some versions are hotter then others, but the basic arrangements of just about all the songs was the same, right? (could we tell 'oh this 'how sweet it is' or 'my sisters and brothers' is from x show as opposed to 'could be any of em in that four or five year period?'

And yeah, 'reconstruction' or some matrix of the early 80's would be more compelling to buy, given what I already have bought.

all that being said....hmm, I'll see.. lol

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    MorningDew likes this.
  21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Yes I agree that the late era band was generally pretty consistently good. But there are those shows which do stand out with a special vibe or sparkle-and some were better recorded than others. One of the absolute diamonds for me from this era is the last Eel River show. There is an intricate perfection to that show for me.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and MorningDew like this.
  22. sami

sami Mono still rules

There's no doubt that late JGB has a consistent excellence about it, with the emphasis on consistent. I've never heard a show from that period I don't enjoy, and yes, there are a few that might stand out a bit more than others, but it's the one period where I really don't feel compelled to add more shows. Totally agree on Eel River '91.

MorningDew and Daedalus like this.
  23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I saw them in June of 73 a few days before the wash DC dead and allmans weekend. Still one of my favorite musical weeks. A few years later I was working for a local band and we had a few occasions to open for Vassar. Super nice guy and an amazing musician.

24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I agree they're really consistent. The weaker shows don't generally have tangible defects. But something extra happens sometimes.

25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

The 11/19/91 show in Providence, RI, which I attended, was hair-raisingly great. my date( now my wife) and I had seats just a few feet from the fat man.