Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

One of the few official releases I am missing is that Eel river box. But even as it is I probably haven’t fully played or completely absorbed all of the official García band I do have, I have a lot of it —-and a lot of it is really great -//but there’s a big musical universe out there and we will only have so much time!

here’s a question for everyone, are there any songs the various Garcia bands did regularly that have not yet been officially released in any form? I can think of two from the 70s that I wish they would release as they really wonderful versions —- the stones “moonlight mile“ and George Harrison‘s “I want to tell you“ both of which I think Jerry did back in about 76 a few times.

I don’t think he ever did any on stage but it just occurred to me that I bet Jerry could’ve done some wonderful versions of a few various Leonard Cohen songs had he been so inclined….

and on the other side of things I wish in the late 1970s or early 80s Frank Sinatra had used Nelson Riddle to arrange again and done things like “stella blue“ (as well as covered. say. , Paul Simon still crazy after all these years, , Bob Dylan’s you’re a big girl now etc. etc. What an amazing record that would’ve been! …..:

2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Tons of songs I wish he did…he pretty much owned the covers he did over the years

3. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I was disappointed that they released Providence '93 instead of Providence '91. Wasn't '91 the show with the 15-minute "Lay Down Sally"?

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and Daedalus like this.
  4. Daedalus

Yes it was. Excellent version.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  5. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Finally sprung for a copy of 'Old and in the Way' this week, what an excellent record. Great songs and Bear seemed to be on a sonic roll recording then.

Swansong, ianuaditis and KCWhistle like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Looking at Jerrybase I find he did "I Want To Tell You" with JGB in early 1976, then a few times in late 1986/early 1987 and finally with the Dead in 1994/95 including the show I saw. None released as far as I know.

7. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

I’m on the porch listening to “Going, Going, Gone” from 9/1/74, the Pure Jerry Vol 4 release. It’s just absolute gold.

Are there other favorite versions of this tune? The guitar, sax, and keys trading solos on this version are what make it so great. It takes a middling tune off of Planet Waves and elevates it to another level.

8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

From Garcia's only solo performance.

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Agree. The Eel River ‘89 and ‘91 shows stand out from the pack for a reason, and so does this one. first show back after a few months off due to a health scare fired up the band and audience, setlist was really good and well played, and the tape circulated widely pretty quickly for those reasons. This has seemed like an obvious release for ages. Probably the most well known high quality previously unreleased Jerry show of the 90s, and finally getting it out officially opens the door to other, lesser known shows, which is always a good thing.

WaterLemon, Swansong, bzfgt and 5 others like this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

This was pretty much instantaneously considered a
    classic high water mark show. I would highly recommend it.

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Liked despite “middling tune” comment.

12. Daedalus

I re-visited the Hampton 91 show CD set. I like the show, I like the Fall 91 tour and I like the Hornsby contribution. It is a John Cutler recording which may be a minus. The recording itself has some of the dreaded digital harshness but it is clear and well-balanced to me. We shall see-I think the CD set is long out of print so for those who want this show and like vinyl releases it may be just the ticket. I am not in the market for this as I am happy enough with the CD set but….

Crispy Rob and Swansong like this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Jerry seemed quite partial to the Dylan album Planet Waves. In one interview he mentioned "Tough Mama" and "Going, Going, Gone" as songs that he felt like he could have written himself.

14. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

I love Planet Waves too! I guess in listening to the Dylan album, that track didn’t jump out at me, whereas Jerry just blows it out of the water with this version.

Crispy Rob, WaterLemon and uzn007 like this.
  15. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

Being a completest of Jerry & the Dead, I’m thrilled that this Pure Jerry is getting the vinyl treatment. An excellent show and a nice set list. I’m hoping this is the beginning of more JGB on vinyl, and although they are a big investment, the sound quality has been such an upgrade to the CD’s. The technology has improved so much over the past ten years or so that even when the source is digital, the vinyl sounds good in comparison to the CD.

16. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Sorry, Jerry, but this one's my favorite:

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

18. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

That looks like a fun and bouncy 2nd set.

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I love Robbie Robertson's pinched harmonic guitar work on the Planet Waves version, and have always dug it since first hearing that album as a teen. Anyway, I also love what Jerry does with it.

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It is! This was a no-brainer for release at some point.

21. Daedalus

I had a great listening session this afternoon on a long hike streaming some Reconstruction shows as available on the YouTube platform. I want a CD release with remastered sound and all the trimmings but this will do very nicely for now to scratch the itch.[​IMG]

22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I love Going Going Gone which Bob played live in 76 and 78 with different words each time and then never played it again. Some great covers by Jerry, Richard Hell and of course Richard Thompson/Ralph McTell with the GPs.

Crispy Rob and KCWhistle like this.
  23. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Garcia (solo) is about the only artist who covers Dylan, that I love their interpretations.

As a Fairport fan, the only thing I dislike about them is their Dylan covers (except I'll Keep It With Mine) ......that said I pretty much dislike most cover versions of Dylan songs (don't get me started on the Byrds)

Blue Note and KCWhistle like this.
  24. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Covers of Dylan songs can be really hit or miss, and I couldn't disagree more about the Byrds (not that I think they always work), but the Fairport I'll Keep It with Mine is damn near the top of my list. Just utterly sublime.

I relistened to Garcia Plays Dylan a month or two ago and, as always, it was a delight. I think it's just so cool to hear such a range of songs, performed over such a lengthy time span, and in a variety of musical settings. He makes the songs feel so "lived in." He picked good ones, too. Or he knew which ones he'd be able to do best, or something.

25. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I had certainly heard "Going Going Gone" before, but it never really registered with me until I heard Sean Watkins do it.

WaterLemon, adamos and uzn007 like this.