Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

Jerry's first solo effort is absolutely awesome.
    Look at the songs on Garcia and then look at set lists for the Grateful Dead shows throughout the 70s and beyond and you'll see these songs are an integral part of Dead concerts.
    If you're going to buy a solo Garcia recording, his self titled is the way to go.
    If you don't have it or haven't heard it, you should. You must.

2. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Jerry had so much to offer whether in the Dead or solo.

The albums that I dig the most are:
    • Garcia
    • Cats Under The Stars
    • Pure Jerry volumes 9, 6 and 2
    • Almost Acoustic
    • Ragged But Right
    • Pizza Tapes
    • Shady Grove
    • Grisman/Garcia
    • After Midnight
    • GarciaLive volume 2
    • Let It Go
    • Keystone Companions

laf848 likes this.
  3. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

It may seem amazing now but during the late 70s the first solo album was actually out of print. At the time I lived in tHe Bay Area and you could find it used or tape a copy from a friend.

At the time it was a source of snigger that jerry put out a true solo album and weir's ace was really a closet dead album.

phillyal1, Joti Cover and ianuaditis like this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It was OOP for a long time, it was only in the late '80s that it was reissued on CD, I remember being excited to finally be able to get a copy (which I sold when I got the All Good Things box) - Reflections and Compliments were equally hard to find, a particular crime in the case of Reflections (half of which is yet another closet GD album). The first Garcia solo album has also been OOP on CD again for several years now, although at least it was reissued on vinyl last year. It's probably been out-of-print for almost 50% of the time since it was originally released, which is ridiculous for such a great album.

AxiomAcoustics and Daedalus like this.
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I have all of the previous releases of the Lunt-Fontaine from the Pure Jerry series-two separate releases with acoustic and electric on each one. These shows are celebratory in nature due to the near miraculous return of Jerry from the diabetic coma. He is happy to be back and the fans are happy to have him. The enthusiasm in these shows is infectious. I hope they release all of the shows in a mega box this year. They could do a comp. for the less committed or the curious. Great idea for an issue in this big 50 year.

6. Daedalus

PS-I just looked up these shows-it was a 2 week run of shows with early and late shows. So there is a bunch of stuff waiting to be released. I could not attend any of those shows at the time so I would be happy to see another release.

7. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I love this one as well.
    Great SQ.

8. bobc

bobc Bluesman

True. That must be why he's not on it.

I feel there's a joke of dubious taste lurking here somewhere, but I can't quite work it out. Anyone got any ideas?

vegafleet likes this.
  9. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

In keeping with the lesser known material, any fans of this fine release? Everyone talks about his wide-ranging influences and breadth of abilities and I find it most interesting when he's in a situation where the 'comfort zone' is breached a bit.

This was recorded between 12/94 and 5/95 so the end was near.

Blue Incantation: Sanjay Mishra and Jerry Garcia

Music for guitars,tabla, percussion, bamboo flute, midi and bass

[​IMG]

10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I think Blue Incantation is great. Like the non-Jerry tracks as much as the Jerry.

ianuaditis and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  11. Daedalus

Listening to "Cats Under the Stars" this am. Will bring the Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band duo with me for the drive to work.

12. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Check this out..sorta' pre Old and In the Way (Grisman/Rowan/Greene) with Clarence White!

ruben lopez and wormburner like this.
  13. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

Dennis beat me to it, but pretty much anything he did with the Legion Of Mary side-project.
    Love JGB, the stuff with Grisman and all of that, too.

14. Daedalus

Great Warfield footage with Grisman,etc on YouTube.

wormburner likes this.
  15. wormburner

wormburner New Member

its disputed but old and in the way is the number 1 selling bluegrass lp of all-time

Daedalus likes this.
  16. Daedalus

Back in the day that album started me on my journey into bluegrass music (and related). I still find it endlessly fascinating to consider the wide range of music that influenced Mr Garcia and the way he was able in turn to influence it.

17. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I read a folk/bluegrass book (title forgotten:help:) in which the author tells a story of being in an elevator with a young man who was sort'a singing Goin' Down the Road (Feelin' Bad) and wondered where the kid got the song
    The kid simply replied,
    "Jerry."

ianuaditis and Daedalus like this.
  18. wormburner

wormburner New Member

del and dawg at springfest 3 wks! anyone going to suwannee springfest?

19. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muleskinner_(band)

This lineup can be considered as a bluegrass supergroup, term not often used with bluegrass. The original start of the group was connected with Bill Monroe, as Richard Greene (who played for his Bluegrass Boys before), was asked to put a band together to join him in a television program. However, Monroe's bus had some technical problems and Muleskinner had to play the whole evening on their own and it was a success.

20. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

There's a lot of solo Jerry that I haven't heard but from what I have, my favorite is the work he did with Merl Saunders and/or Legion of Mary - the Complete Keystone Recordings box is just awesome.

I do have the All Good Things box set which is also very good and I think all his solo albums have something to offer.

But I lean towards the Saunders/Mary material because it's, to me, a nice counterpoint to his work with the Dead in that it is lean and funky.

Daedalus, vegafleet and davmar77 like this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Jerry Garcia played guitar on three tracks from Coleman's Virgin Beauty (1988): "Three Wishes", "Singing In The Shower", and "Desert Players". Coleman joined the Grateful Dead on stage twice in 1993 playing the band's "The Other One", "Wharf Rat", "Stella Blue", and covering Bobby Bland's "Turn On Your Lovelight", among others

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Here is one from a show we did at the La Paloma Theater in 1976. I recorded shows from that venue that were used for delayed radio broadcasts.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I forgot about that. I always liked that album.

24. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident

I'm always looking for more solo acoustic Jerry - I love those 82 shows. Something about the Grisman stuff grates on me after a while, I like it but it can get a little too bluegrassy. But something about that solo stuff - "Going Going Gone," "Freight Train>Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie," "Gomorrah." 4/10/82 is a really special recording.

25. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Cool! I'll have to listen to your recording when I get home. I didn't realize there were two shows. Not sure which one is the one I have.

Doug Sclar likes this.