Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Really special. Unique, in fact.
    He never played completely solo other than that show.
    You might like the shows with John Kahn better than the Grisman bluegrass.

Shem the Penman likes this.
  2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Well I never actually heard these recordings until last year. We would record them and the radio station would take them after the show. I discovered this one when somebody posted a link to it on the forum, which was pretty cool.

There is a weird backstory. The way I remember it is that they played 2 nights. The first night Jerry threw a fit because we didn't have EV mics. I told him that the SM57's and 58's would work just fine, even if they weren't his preference. He wasn't swayed and refused to play until the promoter calmed him down.

I got some RE-16's for the next night from my friend Greg Herreman who was the sound engineer at the Backdoor at SDSU. I'm pretty sure it was the second night that we recorded, but I can't be entirely sure of any of this anymore. Apparently I've mixed up some of the details of some of my other La Paloma recordings.

Ultimately I don't remember much about this recording, but I surely remember dealing with Jerry over the mics.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Jerry also joined Ornette for 3 Wishes during the Ornette and Prime Time opening set at the first of those '93 appearances.

4. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Shake it, shake it, Sugaree.

Also Old & In The Way.

5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Cueing up "Reflections" this a.m.

6. Daedalus

This a.m. cued up "Old and in the Way" vinyl and a radio show promo LP with interview and music issued at the time of the Arista double CD "Jerry Garcia Band" live set.

7. Daedalus

This weekend I have some time to go through the "All Good Things" box and re-hear the original songs plus all those tasty bonuses! I would think that we should be hearing some news pretty soon from the estate on a new release. Also will spin the Garcia/Dylan compilation today-I love that one as well-tremendous versions of those Dylan tunes. I would love a release of the dead/Dylan rehearsals as well. Cheers!

8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The copy I have is from the early show, Doug. Sounds wonderful!

Daedalus and Doug Sclar like this.
  9. Daedalus

Later today I will listen to the complete Keystone box set.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  10. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Recent Deadpod from 9-20-76 in Reading Pa. is a nice listen, albeit an audience recording. Keith Godcheaux IMO at his finest - he even takes more than one chorus in his solos.
    JG/KG/DJG/JK/Ron Tutt

11. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Thanks. It's clean, no doubt, but not the greatest mix.

We generally had no video or eyes on the stage so it was hard to micro mix these types of shows. Most of these were pretty much set and forget in that I'd try to get a decent mix and then let the band dictate dynamics. After all, I wasn't creating records. I was really just trying to capture what was going on on the stage the best I could.

12. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

+1

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  13. hackster

hackster Forum Resident

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Legion of Mary was an American rock band, formed by Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead and his friend and musical collaborator Merl Saunders.[1][2][3] The band existed from December 1974 to July 1975, and played about 60 live shows.[4] Its members were Garcia (guitar and vocals), Saunders (keyboards), John Kahn (bass guitar), Martin Fierro (saxophone and flute) and Ron Tutt. The previous lineup of the band, with Paul Humphrey on drums, is sometimes also referred to as Legion of Mary,[5] but later research has shown that they did not use the Legion of Mary name.[4]

In their concerts, Legion of Mary played rock music that had an eclectic mix of influences, including blues, funk, reggae, rock and roll, and especially jazz.[6] Performances included extended improvisation solos, which Garcia made famous with his role in the Grateful Dead.

phillyal1, laf848 and Daedalus like this.
  14. Daedalus

Yesterday afternoon at work I watched/listened to Garcia/Grisman at the Warfield on YouTube from 91 and 92. I really want a release in high quality of these shows. David, Trixie-anyone listening?I can't be the only one who thinks these shows were special and should be out in clean video and HDCD sound. There are teasers in the Grisman/Garcia movie doc. from a few years ago which made me think they would do a project on this for release but so far nada.

vegafleet, Crispy Rob and Olompali like this.
  15. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I copied them down to DVD from Youtube and they sound surprisingly good. I only listen to them, the video is not great, so the TV is off. But a release is warranted.

16. Daedalus

I was listening on laptop used as desktop. I will try home set-up to listen. Thanks for the tip.

17. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

laf848 and Daedalus like this.
  18. Daedalus

19. serge

serge Forum Resident

I think I now have the entire Jerry on vinyl......up to about 82..plus a few other things like cds with Grisman

I love Jerry's stuff....to me Jerry was the Dead....I can't believe they have continued without him

to me if you take out the Garcia/Hunter songs (what a fortuitous match...Hunter maybe in my top 2 or three lyricists along with Cohen and Dylan), his guitar playing, his covers and his voice you're left with something I just don't care for all that much...not to mention his production and mixing on a lot of classic Dead...his contribution to cannonical Dead works such as Ace....

I love his solo career....I'm reading Rock Scully's book right now.. pretty clear what he thinks...

Daedalus likes this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Expanded edition of Zabriskie Pt soundtrack has about 20 minutes of 4 takes of Garcia doing solo electric guitar improv with the guitar plugged straight into a board. This was edited together into a piece the length of one of the takes that was actually used in the film (and is also on the disk)

phillyal1 and Daedalus like this.
  21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

"Ruben and Cherise" is one of my favorite Jerry tunes. Too bad the Dead only played it a couple times over the years.

Daedalus likes this.
  22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Ha! Have that beat. '75 grad.

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Also surprised to see no mention of "Shady Grove"! Man I wish MOFI would do this one :

[​IMG]

Daedalus likes this.
  24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

"Love Scene" is certainly a piece of beauty, and those outtakes are a must-have for anyone interested in Jerry. I've read that he sat alone in the MGM recording stage and played while watching the scene. Pink Floyd recorded music for that part of the movie too, but it was not used (also included as a bonus in the expanded edition).

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Shady Grove is by far my fav of the Garcia Grisman collabs.