Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

saw them do it at a Cap Center show. What a surprise for everyone including the band.

Zack and aoxomoxoa like this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Big doings at Meriweather Post Pavilion this spring! Check out the Jerry website. All the boys will be there along with a lot of other fine musicians.

3. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Somebody complimented my choosing Moonlight Mile by the Rolling Stones in a recent thread on favorite Stones songs which lead me to youtube to check out cover versions. I'm familiar with the fantastic version by Alvin Hart on the Paint It Blue compilation. So I found a version of Jerry Garcia doing the song with his solo band. And it has totally blown me away, 11 minutes of total perfection. I've known about Jerry and the Dead for thirty years but it's never been my thing, I own none of their records.

So digging further I also find Jerry (and solo band) doing The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Visions of Johanna, Accidently Like A Martyr, Dear Prudence. Songs I've always loved and they are just brilliantly interpreted by Jerry and his crew. I'm impressed beyond belief!

phillyal1, laf848, bzfgt and 10 others like this.
  4. jimdavies111

jimdavies111 Active Member

I prefer Legion Of Mary and the 1978 Garcia Band. Then Saunders and Garcia.

laf848 and rstamberg like this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Garcia was a true master and a consummate artist. He is missed!

bzfgt and Daedalus like this.
  6. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I think Cats Under The Stars is some of Garcia's best work, Grateful Dead or solo. Yes, it prominently features the dreaded Donna but she sang rather well in a studio environment and this was testament to that. Absolutely love that album.

7. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Find the recordings of the group called The Legion of Mary and search out the compilation of concert takes comprised wholly of Dylan material---that'll get you going in the right direction!

rstamberg, Purple Jim and Lonson like this.
  8. Daedalus

The pre-order is available for the new series of recordings taken from the shows at the Lunt-Fontaine Theatre in NYC in 1987. Acoustic and electric shows. I have the releases put out in the original Pure Jerry series from a few years back. The sound quality of those recordings is rough but even so the musical contents are well worth the price of admission in my opinion. This was a reinvigorated Jerry who was full of enthusiasm. I am looking forward to this new series and am wondering if they will be able to do something with the sound quality.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. Daedalus

Listened to the bonus disk of out-takes etc from the Jerry Garcia box set "All Good Things". I hadn't listened to that disc in a long while. Some great stuff on there including an alternate take of "Catfish John" . I have to say I have never actually heard a version of this song that I didn't like but there are some versions that rise above in their languorous swampy old south glory. I am going to "deadicate" some time to a replay of the entire box set this weekend. And then I am going to revisit the Broadway shows in anticipation of the new release. How about you'all?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The bonus disk is the jewel of that box set. If I'm not mistaken the rest of it is just the studio releases. At this point I prefer listening to the vinyl copies of those studio albums. Run For the Roses might be my current favorite.

ianuaditis and rstamberg like this.
  11. Daedalus

The studio discs each with many bonus tracks plus the extra disc with more bonus tracks. I have the LPs of all of Jerry's albums and enjoy them as well. I agree that "Run For The Roses" is a great album . It was dissed when first released but I loved it then and do so today. Similar to "Cats under the Stars" which went nowhere when released. Jerry was reportedly very disappointed because so much work was put into that album. Perhaps if he made a cynical guitar pyro album it would have been a big seller but he went with songcraft. Good for him.

ianuaditis and Dennis0675 like this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That collection is out of print and one of the few CD's that is going up in value.

13. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

Zack and Daedalus like this.
  14. Daedalus

Thought I would bump this thread. I spent some time Saturday listening to the complete Jerry/Merl Keystone box. Yes!

rstamberg likes this.
  15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

16. Daedalus

That looks really interesting. Great combo in a grate year.

17. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I love the Keystone box as well.

rstamberg likes this.
  18. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Anyone know if Jerry sat in for the whole show or just certain songs?

19. Daedalus

The blurb says the Allmans were joined by Jerry and Billy after midnight. No further clue there.

20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I have had decent Sbd copies of this show for years, its a fun listen.

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2009/08/allmans-dead.html

http://lostlivedead.blogspot.com/2012/12/december-31-1973-cow-palace-daly-city.html

Allman Brothers Band
    12/31/73
    Cow Palace, Daly City CA.

Disc 1: Set 1
    1. Wasted Words 6:05
    2. Done Somebody Wrong 6:02
    3. One Way Out 9:51
    4. Stormy Monday 9:00
    5. Midnight Rider 5:00
    6. Blue Sky 7:45
    7. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed 17:33
    Disc 2: Set 2
    1. Happy New Year >
    Stateboro Blues 7:00
    2. Southbound 7:23
    3. Come And Go Blues 5:27
    4. Ramblin' Man 8:06
    5. Trouble No More 4:22
    6. Jessica 12:59
    7. Les Brers In A minor > 6:09
    8. drums > 11:12
    9. Les Brers In A minor 14:35
    Disc 3: set 2 continued
    1. Bo Diddley > Mountain Jam > Bo Diddley 27:11
    2. Whipping Post 11:55
    3. Linda Lou > Mary Lou 9:18
    4. Hideaway > You Upset Me 15:12
    Disc 4: Set 2 continued
    1. Save My Life 18:55
    2. Blues Jam 11:22
    Set 3:
    3. You Don't Love Me 9:49
    4. Will the Circle Be Unbroken? 4:46
    5. Mountain Jam 16:26

Garcia, Kreutzman and Boz Scaggs show up starting at Bd>Mt Jam, and are in and out for the rest of the show

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    Grootna, phillyal1, laf848 and 3 others like this.
  21. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I own the first solo album Garcia and the recent box set reissue of the Keystone performances with Merl Saunders

peskypesky likes this.
  22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

A fine live album indeed. The band hit a really infectious laidback groove, especially on those epic-length jams. A 12-minute "Dear Prudence", a 17-minute "Don't Let Go", and more. Up there with some of my favorite Dead albums.

23. Daedalus

I was able to see the band during the period covered by these recordings during a couple of the tours on the east coast. The Providence show was one of the best concerts I have seen. This recording really captures what was so special about this time period. Highly recommended.

Folknik likes this.
  24. jonathan

jonathan Senior Member

He means without Jan.

25. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

agreed. a good quality pre? FM circulates though its been years since I saw it.