Grace Jones - Nightclubbing Deluxe Edition - April 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by j1804, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

This is such a great reissue. Definitely one of my favourites this year. My only gripe is the packaging - the dreaded digi-pack!! Mine is already decaying... sigh.

2. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

This thread convinced me I needed this, went to order and got this:

"Item Under Review
    This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page."

There doesnt seem to be too many negative comments on the vinyl quality here....

3. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Has anybody had problems with the bluray version? Mine has little pops here and there when I play it with Oppo 95 or Sony mediaplayer. It played well with by laptop.

4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Is the bluray worth getting rather than the 2cd version?

Is it hi-rez?

5. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Yes, 24/96. And it sounds quite nice exept those "pop" sounds that I have. But I haven't compared it to cd version.

6. brokenhanger

brokenhanger Well-Known Member

My copy was supposed to be delivered a week ago Friday, but I'm still waiting...

It is KILLING me reading all these glowing reviews and not having it in hand. The payoff is going to be sweet, though...

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Slave to the Rhythm was on EMI America so it's probably owned by Warners now. Maybe Rhino will do a deluxe edition.

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I suspect brokenhanger is correct. Amazon.com's price looks right for the two-disc set (though it is an import), but some Marketplace sellers have it for under $6. It's probably the single-disc version.

9. KeithH

Is that for the CD set or Blu-Ray disc?

10. KeithH

I'd like to get the Blu-Ray disc, but not with the popping issues that folks are reporting. So it's on to the two-disc set. It looks like importcds.com has the best price in the U.S. at present. Amazon.com doesn't seem to have it.

11. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

No problems with the Blu-ray here but I have only played it on my PCs Pioneer internal drive as I don't have a stand-alone player.

12. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Good point. But I do wonder who owns the actual masters now?

13. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Has anybody else played bluray with stand alone player? I'd like to know this, because I had problems with two players I tried (Oppo and Sony), but not with my Fujitsu laptop.

14. brokenhanger

brokenhanger Well-Known Member

Word from ZTT during other various projects - most recently the Blank and Jones/ZTT remix disc - is that a lot of their masters are missing/unusable due to deterioration. It's entirely possible that 'Slave to the Rhythm' is one of them, though that's never been confirmed/denied as far as I recall.

That said, last year ZTT polled on Facebook for what fans wanted most for their next archival project; 'Slave to the Rhythm' was one of the choices put up by the label and it won handily. So who knows?

That said, its continual absence from modern day ZTT retrospective/reissues - the 12" series, label samplers, etc. - aren't a good sign.

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This is not uncommon with GZ vinyl pressings. I have found the same with old and new US pressings including RTI. Frankly if the pressing marks you observe do not affect the sound I wouldn't worry about it. BTW The vinyl version of this is excellent sounding and didn't notice any crackle on my copy.

Tojo likes this.
  16. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

FWIW, I have the blu-ray edition of this title and I didn't notice any clicks or pops during playback on my Oppo BDP-103. Also, the rips I made from disc play without any unexpected audio artifacts.

17. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Thanks for the information. I'll upgrade my OPPO's firmware. I have never done it because it's not connected to monitor or internet. If I continue having problems I'll contact the seller.

18. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I've got the blu-ray too and havn't noticed any pops playing on my Oppo but I'll re-listen again. I thought it sounded awesome but have only had time to spin it twice.

19. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

If you have the problem, you can't miss it. By the way, what OPPO you have? I have BDP95EU with old firmware. The only thing that worries me that my SONY home theater media center/player have the same problem.

20. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

That was for the LP but it seems to be shipping again now, might be time to take the plunge

21. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Ok. I updated the latest firmware to OPPO. The clicks and pops are still there. I must have defected copy. Otherwise it sounds excellent. I'll contact the seller.

22. KeithH

O.K. Thanks.

23. JDS77

JDS77 Member

- Yes i can only assume the Hi-Res download was a mistake, as the sticker on the cover (and the download coupon) said "MP3" - has anyone else used their download code for this, and if so, was it MP3 or WAV 24-bit/96kHz? The total file size of my download was around 4GB. I can't fully assess how it sounds, as i converted it down (with XLD) to 24-bit 48kHz Apple Lossless files in order to play on my iPod and through my Hi-fi (i've done this with the 3 or 4 Hi-Res albums I have until i get a 24-bit DAC). I can say that even at this sample rate it sounded really nice, with the exception of Pull up to the Bumper which has a slightly annoying high treble click sound in the rhythm section (also present on the vinyl, but not annoying). I assumed this was maybe due to the conversion down to 48kHz.
    - I bought the vinyl from FNAC (i'm in France) and downloaded the files from the Back to Black Records website.

- I need to give it another listen as i seem to remember a very slight crackling on the second disc (it was filthy with 2 thick lines of dirt which i mostly removed - i was going to try cleaning with a vinyl spray cleaning product i have, but didn't think it was a good idea to use any products on it if i plan to exchange it). I'll probably end up keeping it, as i've kept other records with more audible faults than this one.

This also got me thinking; Why is it that all the slightly faulty vinyl albums i've bought have been re-issues? In the last year i've exchanged Bowie's Ziggy Stardust, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, Kraftwerks' Autobahn and now maybe this one. Yet i've bought many brand new releases and not had a single bad one. It makes we wonder if maybe new releases possibly sell in bigger quantities and therefore maybe have better quality control/made in better pressing plants? Any ideas????

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have found having an RCM (Okki Nokki) invaluable with a lot of new vinyl and would likely remove the crackle if related to the dust marks. My copy was pristine without any static so I have not cleaned it. Usually the problems are one-off faults and I have had a few recently where a second copy was fine. The small pressing runs should in theory have better QC and less chance of a faults. At least two of the reissues you complain about use either of the best two German pressing plants but in my experience most plants have their share of duds. Contrary to others I have found the relatively mass produced GZ product having a low fault ratio if you going on sound rather than appearance.

25. BRush

BRush Senior Member

What a great re-release. I forgot what a great LP this is. It was a big party record during my college years, right up against B-52s and Talking Heads. Disc 2 is so hypnotic I can't remove it from the car.

I've pulled all the other Compass Point lps: Joe Cocker "Sheffield Steel", "Warm Leatherette", and Black Uhuru "Chill Out".

I noticed there was an expanded CD version of "Sheffield Steel", has anyone heard it?

footprintsinthesand likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.