Grace Jones - Nightclubbing Deluxe Edition - April 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by j1804, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Just listening to the vinyl, and remembering how much I loved the album back in the day! The download just finished and it's nice to see it includes all of the tracks (I think) included on the deluxe CD version. I'm just happy the vinyl was a double disc and included the two "new" tracks!

And I agree that I'd love to see reissues of "Warm Leatherette" (to include the original album cover, along with the US album version AND the longer versions included on the available CD) and "Living My Life" (to include the long version of "The Apple Stretching", her stunning version of Joy Divison's "She's Lost Control" and the title track, which strangely, was not included on the album!).

2. stem

stem Forum Resident

Is anybody able to compare the new vinyl with the original ?

3. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Well, here's my proposition for future reissues.

Maurice, noahjld, Kym and 2 others like this.
  4. pghmusiclover

Thanks for that. I was sure that "She's Lost Control" was a B-side from the "Living My Life" era and then I went back and checked and realized it was a B-side for "Private Life". My memory gets rusty some times from all the music details in there!

5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I recall the Sheffield Steel remaster being horribly high-endy.

6. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

mine arrived, its a Back to Black release, is that correct? Surely there is not more than one version of this issue, I was just surprised that a BtB release has been garnering such praise.

7. pghmusiclover

8. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

May I also recommend Barry Reynolds - I scare myself. Barry Reynolds was the compas point guitar ace and writer with Grace Jones and Marianne Faithful

9. pghmusiclover

Yes, that was a great album, and it fits nicely with the work of Marianne and Grace of the time. (I also liked his work with Sandra Bernhard on her album "I'm Your Woman".)

10. brokenhanger

brokenhanger Well-Known Member

My copy finally arrived and I have to echo the praise it's receiving in this thread. Content wise the second disc is stellar - even paced so that despite there being five versions of "Pull Up To The Bumper" on it, they're spread out so that you never think "ugh, not this again". (Then again, would you ever think that when "Pull Up To The Bumper" starts up? Probably not.) The outtakes, especially "Me! I Disconnect From You", are top notch, though it's easy to see why they weren't included on the original LP as they're just slightly out of place with what did make it.

I also realized while listening to the set that of the three Compass Point LPs, this is my least favorite. (Blasphemy, I know, but I prefer the song selection of the other two.) Bring on 'Warm Leatherette' and 'Living My Life', please!

Max Florian likes this.
  11. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Did you exchange your copy and, if so, did the replacement play properly? I ask because I just received this blu-ray and notice quite a lot of popping noises played back via an Oppo 93. I've updated my firmware every time the Oppo has prompted me to do so, so I know my firmware is up to date.

I think now I understand why so many sellers indicate that this title has yet to be released (Amazon.com and Deepdiscount, for two): They probably don't want to be burdened with returns.

12. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

I got a replacement blu-ray but it has same problems with OPPO 95. Both copies play well with Playstation 4, so I assume that the disks are "ok", but for some reason my OPPO does not like them.

13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Thanks. I had a hunch that the problem is player-dependent and not something that can be remedied by exchanging the disc. It's rather unfortunate since I don't plan to replace my Oppo anytime soon. I have a blu-ray read/write drive in my pc. Has anyone tried ripping the disc to see if a copy would then play properly in their Oppo?

14. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

I have not tried ripping it, but my guess is that it will rip ok. As I mentioned earlier my lapstop plays it flawlessly.

15. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, I might finally try playing something from a USB drive, then, since I don't have any blank blu-ray discs. Will be interesting to see if I can rip the disc and play it via USB without errors. Interesting that the popping noises don't affect every track. For example, I was most interested to hear the long version of "Pull Up To The Bumper" and I don't think I noticed any flaws there. The flaws are very obvious in the very first track, though, as well as some of the other tracks I sampled. The popping noises remind me of some burned cds I made that some drives had difficulty playing.

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What do we know about the new vinyl? Is this from a digital source? The fact that this is another GZ job would be enough to keep me away but unfortunately there is no US counterpart to this edition:( A local store has it 30% reduced so... fingerprints aside: Does this sound as good as UK originals? Is it worth buying?

17. Neonbeam

.... a quick Amazon research is not very encouraging:

"And as is usual for GZVinyl pressings, the vinyl itself looks appalling. Held up to a bright light there are a myriad of defects, most notably finger marks from latex gloves caused by mishandling in the factory."

Several other customers chime in, saying they found the same defects on their copy. I guess I'm not going to take a chance on this... too bad as this is a really nice package....

18. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

Do you know - I just happened along a mint UK pressed CD copy of the Island Masters version of this on the weekend, at a garage sale ($1) and I have to say, it sounds quite brilliant.

Think I'm going to forget about the vinyl re-issue - this CD is more than adequate.

19. Neonbeam

I know that this can be had for cheap but I really like the deluxe version. Still unsure if I shouldn't simply get, clean and play it despite GZVinyl. 'Cause I don't think this version will be reissued....

20. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Original 80s vinyl first pressings are plentiful,cheap and sound amazing.

21. Neonbeam

OK...so I bought this damned thing making this the very first GZ product I bought fully aware that it actually was a GZ product. Before I opened it I made some coffee, prepared myself for the worst , took a long deep look at Miss Jones, vowed not to get mad, angry or aggressive whatever I would find in there. Then.. I took a deep breath, pulled the shrinkwrap and... wow!

This being GZ OF COURSE both records had fingerprints but (and this is a big BUT) no dirt, no scratches... wow! Not ideal but completely acceptable. After a good cleaning I'm really looking forward to listen to this set tomorrow!

candyflip69 likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

Finally played this set and... it sounds fantastic, this is easily the best GZ product I've heard (and seen!!!! ;)) since the first pressing of Amy Winehouse's "Back To Black". And that was early in 2007! If GZ records were always like this... I would NEVER say anything again. Fingerprints are no big deal. But they continued to disappoint and frustrate me over and over again.

Musically this is a terrific "Deluxe" edition with tons of fantastic bonus material and great gatefold artwork. Really well done!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Barry Reynolds on cd is pretty hard to get though...

noahjld likes this.
  24. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

How do the cd and blu-ray sound compared to the Private Life double cd?
    Grace Jones's Private Life cd to me is the benchmark for enjoying timeless great sounding music in alle dimensions. I used to bring that 2CD to audiophile friends whenever they bought new equipment ... open up de cd player and remove the obvious Pink Floyd or Dire Straits disc, pop in cd 2 and start Nightclubbing then The Apple Stretching crank up the volume (no talking) and just watch their faces. Joe Cocker's Sheffield Steel (with the bonus tracks), especially the 12"version of Sweet Little Woman (also with Sly & Robbie) had pretty much the same effect.

Could only be beaten by hearing Robbie Shakespeare's bass live on stage with Sly Dunbar in Black Uhuru doing their version of Hey Joe.

25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Great album!
    Same question but even that I don't have the album maybe this is right?
    "Original 80s vinyl first pressings are plentiful,cheap and sound amazing"
    the question is, which original is better US or UK?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.