Grading a record with a small skip that’s otherwise in VG+ shape?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by mrgopal, Jan 23, 2023.

1. mrgopal

mrgopal If you get bit Just hate the bite. Thread Starter

Record looks like a strong VG+ and plays great. But it has a small skip at the start of the opening track. Couldn’t find what Goldmine says about a situation like this. Is it an automatic Poor or Good? Or is it a VG+ with an asterisk?

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It’s not a strong VG+...it skips. G+ is where it maxes out, to me.

Shawn, mackeyse, lazydawg58 and 4 others like this.
  3. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Did you try playing it on more than one turntable? It might not skip on a different machine with a different cartridge.

Cronverc, MGM and c-eling like this.
  4. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i would list it vg+ and then add a comment at the bottom about the skip...

5. MetalliJoe

MetalliJoe Forum Addict

Agree that you can call it a VG but if it’s got an irreparable fault causing a skip, then it can’t be more than a G+.

Have you checked whether you can fix the skip by inspecting the groove and using a toothpick to reshape the groove? Have saved records doing this.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

What’s causing the skip?

Is it a feel-able scratch? If so then it’s visually no higher than VG. And in fairness, the scratching skip would technically grade the side at Fair, but you can be more specific about how well the rest of the disc plays.

If it’s a mystery skip I would investigate further. Sometimes it’s just the most specific piece of stubborn foreign material.

Is it bass heavy? I have a bunch of hip hop that demands to be played with a heavily tracked conical or else the kick drum will cause the needle to jump.

What kind of rig did you test it on? Like idledreamer said.. it’s advisable to play it on some different setups, different carts/needles and weights. Lighter tracking force doesn’t necessarily correlate to improved tracking and decreased wear, there’s a point where it’s quite the opposite. If you’re findings yield different results I would just post them in the listing, more info is always better, it shows you care.

idledreamer, MGM and audiotom like this.
  7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I would say P+, maybe G-, even though I don't really think a plus/minus grading is meaningful at that grading level. It skips, it's automatically P. Good shoud not skip, so maybe I'll allow G-. Good means it's playable all the way through. So lower than G, is what it is.

breakingglass and lazydawg58 like this.
  8. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

As have I, but I know from experience that if it's one of those infuriating tiny scratches that go in line with the groove and you can only see it under a strong light then it might be a little harder to fix.

9. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

F is the highest possible grade for a record with a skip. Period.

You can explain it if you wish, and should, but for a grade, the only possible grades for records with a skip are F or P.

10. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

If I have to stomp on the floor to get my turntable to skip past the skip then it grades well below a VG+

DrJ, Shawn, wampachompa and 2 others like this.
  11. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

Put it this way: if a retailer grades the record as VG+ and it skips on my turntable due to a scratch that I can only see on close inspection, it gets returned. In fact, there's a record I'll be returning tomorrow for this exact reason. If I pay for VG+, I want VG+

tommy-thewho and lazydawg58 like this.
  12. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Just like she can't be "a little bit pregnant", it can't be "mostly VG+" if it skips. If you can fix the skip it's a VG. If you can't it's a record that skips and you either keep it and always start the record just past that spot when you play it. Or you give it away to someone telling them the situation, or you toss it in the trash can.

ARK likes this.
  13. lazydawg58

There really shouldn't even be a grade below G+. Or the grade should be "U" for unplayable without skipping.

ARK and Saturns Pattern like this.
  14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I don't think anything with a skip should be higher than G+.

That being the case, for such a record I'd probably be trying it out on a few different tables to see if it's skipping on all of them.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Depends which song it skips on.

If it's my favorite song getting a bad grade.

16. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Rate it VG and include a coin and a piece of tape... :)

[​IMG]

idledreamer, Jrr, ARK and 8 others like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IMO, any grading for a record with a skip is an oxymoron...In my vinyl days I would stay away from an album with that description...the skip would drive me nuts!

18. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

I fixed a skip on a record. I played the skipping part numerous times, with my finger very lightly touching the pickup on the inner side. After a while the skip became a click.

19. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

My Goldmine price guide states that even a scratch that audibly clicked throughout a record can't be VG+, never mind a skip.

ARK, aravel, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  20. lazydawg58

But you couldn't really try to sell it without noting that it skips on some set ups. I mean, you could but that would certainly be dirty pool.

21. lazydawg58

VG+ is suppose to be audibly as good as NM, just not cosmetically. That always struck me as odd. But few real world graders are that strict. A click would certainly put it in VG territory.

Bobby with a dollar likes this.
  22. mstoelk

mstoelk Well-Known Member

This is the only answer.

Anything higher is a disservice to the marketplace. Grade it properly, describe it accurately, and price it accordingly. Just do the right thing.

23. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

If the first one you played it on didn't skip, would you try it on a bunch of others to determine if it did?

IMO, it's a gray area, and case-specific.

If it skipped on 1/5, I'll admit I'd grade it VG+ and roll with it. If it skipped on 4/5, I'd call it a G+ and note that it didn't skip on a particular setup.

idledreamer and lazydawg58 like this.
  24. oldcurmudgeon

oldcurmudgeon Anti-audiophile Extraordinaire

I thought the oxymoron was the guy who said "All Over Your Face!" in the old Oxy-10 adverts.

That said, records with skips are unsellable. I used to use a pair of binoculars in reverse to locate the skip and determine whether it was lodged dirt or dust or a broken groove wall.

lazydawg58 and Michael like this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you got it! very funny... I don't remember that one.
    Interesting Bino thingy!