Grading a record with a small skip that’s otherwise in VG+ shape?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by mrgopal, Jan 23, 2023.

1. mrgopal

mrgopal If you get bit Just hate the bite. Thread Starter

Toothpick trick did not work! Can’t even see the mark. I might try it on another turntable.

2. mrgopal

mrgopal If you get bit Just hate the bite. Thread Starter

I got mine drown a record store too. It has been a while though. Probably too long to return it.

3. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I wouldn't go from one set up to another if there wasn't an issue on my normally used turntable. But if there was and I tried the other one (I've got two stereos set up in the house) and it didn't I think I'd still have to consider it a skipping record, based on the fact that the turntable I use to play grade it skipped on. If however I cleaned the record again, brushed the stylus, etc. and it didn't skip on the original turntable I'd chalk it up to an aberration and grade it as having no skip. It doesn't get tricky doesn't it. :sweating:

NettleBed likes this.
  4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yep!

5. Soulsanista

Soulsanista Forum Resident

F or P, price it accordingly. Keep it moving. Don't waste your time or others on this with anything less. Sellers who don't adhere to this only degrade the marketplace IMHO as others have said here.

6. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

F grade. Goldmine standards do not allow for skips unless it’s in F or P condition. Even G has the exact wording in the description of “can be played through without skipping”.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  7. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

Sorry, but a record with even one known skip is not VG+. That is a major defect that would cause it to be poor. Most collectors detest skips as it makes for a difficult listening experience.

lazydawg58 likes this.