Grading Issue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cporcp, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Yeah.. no sweat, ya know- but I would tell him.
    I would definitely give him a chance to make it right..
    It takes a lot for me to actually give someone a negative.
    Only had to do it once on Discogs, they reprimanded the other guy, he closed his account. Discogs deleted what he wrote..

Unbelievably - the seller is currently HUGE, one of the very top artists in music.
    He is awful, the worst crap. I'll never forget, just because he was such a complete azzholio.. Amazing really. Name escapes me for obvious reasons.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident Thread Starter

Three days and no response to my question. Since the vinyl was indeed NM/M-, I left neutral feedback and a comment regarding truthful & accurate grading. On a related note I received another NM/M- example today - Slow Train Coming. The sleeve was pristine - had to have been kept in a protector for most of its life. The vinyl was scuffed, noisy, and had embedded debris that wouldn't dissolve despite repeated washings on a 16.5. Oh, and it was dished to the point that a clamp made it playable - just.

This is atypical of me - I don't buy much used vinyl, because I don't want to deal with stuff like this - and these weren't expensive LP's. It's also possible that I'm slightly OCD when it comes to my albums - but probably no more than many of you.

So, is this how it is? Or do those of you that purchase used vinyl online have more reliable sources - just curious.

3. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Not only ring wear, but a lot of wear around the edges.

G.

4. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

If the shrink wrap is slit, you can assume it's been played.

5. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

If you buy online you'll have to accept that you'll get a dud every now and then. That being said, I've had mostly good luck buying from ebay over the years. That venue was my go-to for the 60s pysch records I used to buy and really couldn't find from any other source.

A local record store is the best option for common records such as the Crenshaw or Dylan LPs you mentioned in your thread. The advantages are obvious - you can inspect the condition prior to buying and possibly negotiate a better price.

Don't accept miss-graded vinyl or covers - send it back if you are dissatisfied. If the seller gets enough returns, he/she will have to improve their grading skills or pack up their tent and go home. If you don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back, ask the seller to send a few bucks back to you for what is, IMHO, a VG cover advertised as NM.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  6. cporcp

I've had good luck with Ebay too - my Discogs experiences are mixed at this point - I only have one good sized local shop, and I know their inventory by heart I think.

Seems like it would just be easier to grade accurately rather than deal with someone who's dissatisfied and wants a return / refund.

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

What was the seller's feedback rating?

8. cporcp

100% - figured I was safe, right?

9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

That should have been safe.

cporcp likes this.
  10. Psychedelic Sounds

Psychedelic Sounds Forum Resident

You can safely say it has been played.
    Sleeve looks like VG condition.

11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Fairly minor edge wear, IMO. Again, from what the pictures show that is a VG+ cover. If the seams are intact I can't imagine one in ten thousand people being unhappy with that cover getting a VG+ grade.

But as it was graded NM, this isn't really the point and the Seller should offer a partial refund or full refund upon return. Oversights happen. If he's got 100% feedback it's obviously not SOP. Sometimes on eBay it can be as simple as selling a similar item to your last one and forgetting to change the grade for the new listing.

Shouldn't take three days to get a response, however. At least IMO. Since eBay protects Buyers at almost any cost and nearly every situation this should be no big deal. Go through the process and get a refund.

Anyway, sheesh...surprised this thread is still going. An overgraded record cover!? Say it ain't so!

cporcp likes this.
  12. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

If the LP itself is in mint shape, that's what's most important, but there's no way any reasonable seller would grade that jacket so high. I'm sorry but NM sleeves do not have creases and ring-wear.

13. cporcp

Yep we can put this one to bed - someone had asked for the outcome, so...

Tim1954 likes this.
  14. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Was this purchased from overseas? I've had record sellers overseas tell me a record is in "impeccable" state even as I'm pulling it out to see it's clearly not. Then they change their tune to: "it doesn't affect play..."

15. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Maybe one of the mail carriers on the plane brought a Crosley with him and decided to check out the LP you bought :laugh:

cporcp likes this.
  16. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Gotta love sellers who deliberately UNDERGRADE their records. I've found one on eBay that grades VG++ a record I'd have no problem grading NM. They often look unplayed, not even spindle trails.

17. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes unless the glue residue cannot be removed!

18. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

This is because there are lots of people - some of them probably on this forum - who will grab a microscope, inspect every nanometer of the cover until they find a speck of dust or a minuscule crease, and demand a full refund... but they need to keep the record, of course! I tend to undergrade myself - makes a nice surprise for the buyer. That is, as long as they don't see $2 more on a VG+ rating and go for the cheaper - probably overgraded - one. It's a fine line, marketing and human stupidity. :agree:

19. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

That is far from fairly minor edgewear. I don’t and wouldn’t own anything that looks like that in my collection, and I’m pretty sure I own a record or two with “fairly minor edgewear”.

20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Your personal tastes and pride of ownership requirements notwithstanding, it looks like a VG+ cover by any grading guide of which I am aware.

If that was sent to me as a VG+, I'd have no issue unless the seams were splitting. If it were sent to me as NM, it would go back.

21. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

It’s already been mentioned that a record with ringwear can be nothing more than a VG according to Goldmine.

There are seven vein creases, a nicely dinged corner, two rather large (an inch or longer) colour flaked off exposing white along the seams, two stickers affixed to the back (one of them partially removed) and ringwear and we can’t even see what going on at the bottom of the jacket from the front or back pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.