Grading LP Records

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Klapamos, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klapamos

Klapamos Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hey all

So I've been buying a lot of LP records on Ebay and have found that even some of sellers with good feedback don't grade accurately. I've purchased many "EX" records with multiole 3-6 inch surface scratches and lots of popping and cracking between songs, and a moderate amount during songs. I clean most records before playing them and use a static brush. IMO that would be a VG- or G+ grade, thoughts?

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

EX isn't a grading I understand. I suppose it's supposed to be Near Mint or maybe VG++. No idea. I don't understand VG- either or even G+. One beater isn't better than another. Multiple long scratches are automatically a G. Lots of popping and crackles is further confirmation of a G grade. If it skipped, I would probably call it Poor.

Here's the thing eBay doesn't have a standard unlike Discogs where the default is Gold Mine. You could give the seller a poor rating if you don't get a full refund. Personally, I ask questions about grading I don't understand. I want it documented.

3. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

"Here's the thing eBay doesn't have a standard unlike Discogs where the default is Gold Mine. You could give the seller a poor rating if you don't get a full refund. Personally, I ask questions about grading I don't understand. I want it documented."

There are plenty of Discogs sellers who don't know how to grade as well.

4. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

EX is not a grade in truth. I avoid any listing that uses that as a grading standard. I tend to only buy sealed vinyl from Ebay, and I don't use Ebay for vinyl often .

Gumboo likes this.
  5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

You're having a bad run there. It's happened to me too. Very annoying.
    EX does not mean scratched. Complain; a lot

6. Klapamos

Klapamos Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for replys! I've been complaining to sellers regarding about 10% of my record purchases. Which is uncommon for me since I've never returned an item on Ebay in almost 20 years until staring to buy vinyl in the last few months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.