Grado (Insert Color here)2 Prestige Series - Any Reviews Yet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundgarden, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler

I have a 2M Red and 2M Bronze. First thing I have to say about the 2M Red is that I hated it until I installed my fluid damper. Afterwards, I was quite impressed.

Otherwise, I can’t really help you. Maybe someone else can, but you pretty much have to test it for yourself or find the opinion of someone who’s got the same arm and cartridge and whose ears you trust.

Johnny Wong and patient_ot like this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I might be intersted in that, actually. I'm not particularly in love with the sound of my AT cart, altho its specs are quite good on paper.

3. needlestein

You might! Grado pretty much with the Black2 is in a totally opposite direction.

4. probustini

probustini Well-Known Member

The opinion I made reading this thread is that a good deal would be to go for a Black2 and, when the time comes, to upgrade it with an 8MZ stylus...
    Who can/wants to spend more would buy a Gold2 and later upgrade with an MCZ stylus.
    I have an 8MX body and a damaged 8MZ stylus (so I'm running it with a Gold1 stylus until I can afford a new one). I'm not sure I would really upgrade my system by buying a Black2, but it is interesting and reassuring to learn that the new Prestige2 line is comparable to the 8MR Signature...

5. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

I have the 2M Blue on my Project RPM 5 Carbon, and I recently installed a Grado Prestige 2 Green on my Music Hall MMF 2.2, but I only use that table rarely (perhaps ten hours), so it really hasn't broken in. There is no comparison for precision and detail, the 2M Blue wins hand down. But for less challenging material (I listen to a lot of girl-with-guitar singer-songwriter folk) I like the well-rounded midrange and surprisingly solid bass from the Grado. I also added a Tonar rubber and cork mat to the Music Hall at the same time which really helped with the bass response on that sad metal platter. If you'd like, I can let you know more when I've used it for a while.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

I should pay more attention to what I own... it's a Prestige 2 Red, not green!

7. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Here is my take from another thread:

I recently tried the Prestige green2 on my PLX-1000. I wanted an alternative to my 2m Blue. I have to say I was instantly blown away by the warmth and increase of punchy bass and midrange. For example I listened to Genesis’ Invisible Touch LP and it sounded great! (I’ve always felt this lacked some bass). Soundstage was nice and wide. My problem was that I missed the lack of treble and detail of the 2m. I really wish I could combine the two carts! Im sure this is more of a personal preference than a indication of the cart, as the treble sounded nice and natural, just not quite enough detail for me.

But the real deal killer was that I was experiencing the “Grado hum” on my TT. I decided I couldn’t live with that so I returned it. The customer service from Grado was excellent, and listening now I already crave some of that warmth back...

bluemooze, DocBrown and patient_ot like this.
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I'm enjoying my Gold2 on my SL-1700 II. Works for me. :targettiphat:

Johnny Wong and Eigenvector like this.
  9. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

I'm really considering getting the Blue 2, since it was recommended to me on the Vinyl Me, Please forums..but I'm not seeing a lot of reviews on it to really help me make my decision. I am also considering the Ortofon 2M Red as well.

10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Just put a Gold2 on a PLX-1000.

I am absolutely blown away. This thing is positively gorgeous. It handles high frequencies as well as any cart I have heard. It spits out wet and wonderful sound.

The bass is not quite as articulate as the MP-200 so far, but other than that I would say this cart is every bit as good and in some ways maybe even better. It demolishes the AT-95SH and ML (both of which I like) for what I want to hear out of vinyl. The sound is alive, lush and no matter how much detail it never sounds clinical.

I know the ‘2’ line had some QC issues out of the gate, but they seem to have it dialed in at this point. This cart is insanely good. It makes me just want to play records.

action pact, Bobsblkwax and ranch 22b like this.
  11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The Blue 2 is a great cart. I gave it time and ended up liking it so much I tried a Gold 2. I am a MP-200 junkie but sometimes I really dig that Grado sound. I still have the Blue 2. To me it is vastly superior to a 2M Red.

brownsugah likes this.
  12. needlestein

The only gripe I’ve got with the Gold2 is for that money, it really should have a nude elliptical tip.

action pact likes this.
  13. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

IMO, the Gold2 smokes the AT-VM95SH. The price point is not dissimilar. The latter of course has a nude shibata. but its overall sonic characteristics are no match for the Gold2, IMO.

14. needlestein

Big fan of the Gold2, myself. But I have not heard the A-T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.