Grado Limited Edition Hemp Headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BIGGER Dave, Jun 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I'm worried that I'd get really hungry after using them. Stupid joke, sorry! I have to try hard not to resist these!

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

That depends on what you are doing while listening to them

sharedon likes this.
  3. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

They left out the most obvious one:

Grado. Putting the "High" in Hi-Fi.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I don't believe Grado even offers a premium non-leather headband as an option. That does present a problem for vegans and others who don't want leather. It is possible to buy an after-market non-leather Grado premium style headband. But that still means you have to buy the headphones with the leather headband that you don't want to support. Then sell it on ebay and support a market for leather goods that you don't want to support.

It's not just Grado that does this. Other headphone companies also only offer leather as their premium or only option for headbands and/or earpads.

Grado really should offer a vegan and hemp friendly headband with the hemp headphone. There are people into the hemp thing who won't do leather. Maybe they could have done a special headband made from thick hemp canvas instead.

5. rockin_since_58

My hemp phones are supposed to arrive this Tuesday...looking forward to checking them out.

Jvalvano likes this.
  6. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Would like to hear you thoughts on them.

7. rockin_since_58

Will definitely post thoughts a few days after they arrive. I currently have Senn HD 600's and Quad Era 1's.

8. rockin_since_58

They arrived a day early! Got home and the package was at the front door. First off, I had no idea they were going to include a very cool t-shirt that was stuffed in the package which I cut through when opening it. Hoping I can order one these from Grado.

Ok, only had them on my ears for a few minutes and all I can can is say wow!!! How can these sound so good being so lightweight and small compared to my Senns and Quads? These are the first headphones that sound amazing with my Valhalla 2 amp. Just got done with a 13 hour work day so gonna jump in the shower then gonna relax and give them a good spin.

YtseJammer, mikeyt, OC Zed and 5 others like this.
  9. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Beautiful Audio sells a padded headband cover for Grados. They're super cozy. I also like that the Grado GW100 has a non-leather padded headband and I hope it's a sign of what they might do with future models.

rodentdog likes this.
  10. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

That sucks! You could try emailing John Grado to see if he'll send you a replacement.

11. Congrats! Now you won’t have to waste all that good rolling on tubes!

britt2001b likes this.
  12. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

Over the last few days I have listened to all Steve’s Nat King Cole AP sacds and Audio Fidelity Welcome To The Club sacd on my new Hemp Headphones. All I can say is absolutely stunning.

13. rockin_since_58

Looks like they are sending me a replacement shirt. I sent an email about what happened but did not get a reply. This morning I got an email notice from Grado saying that my new order has shipped but there are no details as to what the order is.

Aftermath, forthlin, Jvalvano and 2 others like this.
  14. rockin_since_58

I absolutely agree that these are stunning! They put my HD600's and Quad Era 1's which cost nearly twice as much to shame. They don't look as nice as the Quads but looks are not what I am interested in.

Bill Why Man and mikeyt like this.
  15. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a set of Grado RS2es. Despite that outlay, I'm sooooo tempted to splash out on the Hemps. Nope, the budget isn't really there. But... That said, the Hemps don't appear to be on the shelves in the UK as at today so maybe a higher power is conscious of my situation and is kindly helping out in an indirect manner. I'm sure that's the explanation....

:D

mikeyt likes this.
  16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Okay, just finished reading this thread.

remind me, what is the thread about again?

[​IMG]

17. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I couldn't resist the temptation and ordered a pair. They arrived today and are amazing right out of the box. Listening with headphones is not my preferred way to listen but family life has made it a practicality. I have a Wooaudio WA6 amp and this is the first time I really feel like I'm hearing the glory of the tubes I am running in it. These headphones sound fantastic. They are going to be a lot of fun for late night listening. I am really glad I ordered these. They best my other headphones by quite a bit.

And a thank you to rockin_since_58 for the heads up about the t shirt. ;)

18. rockin_since_58

[QUOTE="Jvalvano, post: 24438246, member:
    And a thank you to rockin_since_58 for the heads up about the t shirt. ;)[/QUOTE]
    The shirt was very cool and I was very disappointed that I had cut through it when I opened the package. I got over it quickly as the headphones were so amazing. Turns out they are sending me another shirt no charge so kudos to Grado!

mikeyt likes this.
  19. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Looking forward to your comments.

At first glance I thought the whole thing looked totally gimmicky, but after looking at the company material and listening to Guttenberg's review, these look really interesting.

mikeyt likes this.
  20. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I've heard everyone here and elsewhere talking about the 420 price tag.
    What exactly is the inside joke with that? I was never (and still not) into certain things so I'm missing the connection but am curious.

21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Had to look it up myself:

420 (cannabis culture) - Wikipedia

mikeyt likes this.
  22. rockin_since_58

I've spent a few hours with these now and in every way, they are better than my Senn HD600's. They have a whole lot more punch with very defined bass as well as very nice mids. Cymbals sound very realistic as well.

Some of the minor issues for me is that I have them fully extended to fit my head and wish there was a smidgen more room but I can live with this. My head diameter is in the 95th percentile and there is not a ball cap made that I have found that fits my head to put this in perspective. Also since these are on ear, I do get some discomfort from them. I think I could swap out the ear pads for some over ear ones but I read that the on ear pads is what gives them the fantastic punch that they have. These issues are minor and things that I can definitely live with. I think if I were to purchase another Grado headphone, I might ask if they could customize them for my larger head. Seems easy enough just need to cut the metal rod they slide on a bit longer.

YtseJammer and EdogawaRampo like this.
  23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've tried different models of Grado headphones, upper tier ones, and never could get comfortable wearing them, even with the larger G cushions. I like the way they sound though. Maybe I should try again. One pair I tried was the limited edition ones made out of cocobolo wood.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  24. rockin_since_58

After spending a few more days with these, they are not going to work for me. They are just a bit too small for my fat head and I am constantly fiddling with them to get comfortable. I will most likely list them here in the hardware for sale forum later in the week. Someone will get a chance to get a substantial savings on these.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  25. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

You can bend the headband to get a different and wider fit.
    Here's a thread post where I explain one style of Grado headband bend: Grado SR325e

However, if you've already have the posts extended all the way to fit your head that style of bend will mean that the posts will no longer be long enough to reach your ears.

gregorya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.