Grado PS1000e headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Our local hifibuys had a sale on Grado and I was able to buy some PS1000e full-sized headphones. I've been using them for a week and I am really impressed. There is more detail and better imaging than I have experienced on other Grado headphones. The mids are just magical.

These "e" drivers from Grado are very, very good. Anyone else enjoying the "e" series?

james, TimM and Eric Murphy like this.
  2. Eric Murphy

Eric Murphy Active Member

I’ve used the PS500e’s for a few years now. Love them, no desire to ever get another pair of headphones.

LeeS likes this.
  3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

One should always have a desire to get another pair of headphones. Headphones are not like speakers. You can set up multiple headphones in a room without any problems. Setting up multiple pairs of speakers in a room is a challenge. I feel naked if there are not at least three different headphones around me within reach.

SBurke likes this.
  4. Eric Murphy

I will take your suggestion to heart. Maybe one day I will invest in a pair with a different sound profile than my Grados....

Finances will get in the way for a bit so in the meantime I will stick to enjoying my PS500e’s.

When that time comes, do you have any suggestions for me to look into?

I listen to all genres, punk, metal, jazz, reggae, blues, funk, electronic, hip hop, etc etc etc

5. Ham Sandwich

A headphone like the Massdrop Fostex TR-X00 (or TH-X00) might be interesting for you as a headphone that is different and complementary to the Grado presentation. The Fostex are around $400-ish on Massdrop. They have a strong and extended low end (they go down to 20 Hz easily) which makes them neat for electronic and hip-hop and reggae. The bass is on the loose side, but overall it works very well. And they're easy to amp. If your amp is good with the Grados it will be good with the Fostex. I find the Fostex TH-X00 to be a fun neutralish bass extended headphone that works for all genres (even classical). A different bass and bass extension than the Grados.

I also like planar dynamic headphones. But the ones I like are expensive and amp hungry. There are some new planar dynamics in the works that are affordable and more efficient and should be less amp hungry. The Verum looks like it may be one to achieve that. I haven't heard it, so I don't know. But it's on my radar for headphones to try.

pexie and Eric Murphy like this.
  6. Eric Murphy

I’m also curious about the Sennheiser HD650s in addition to the headphones you recommended.

My amp/dac is currently the Schiit Magni and Modi 2.

Will that be enough juice to drive the Sennheiser’s? Would you consider them a compelling option to consider while also considering the Fostex already mentioned?

7. Ham Sandwich

The HD650 are a good all round headphone. They can play any genre. I didn't mention them just because I didn't know what amp you had and because you mentioned listening to genres like reggae, electronic, hip-hop, and metal. Those are all genres that do better with a strong and extended low end that extends down to 20 hz. The HD650 starts rolling off the bass at around 100 hz. It has bass, but not what I consider extended bass. And for genres like metal where there is a lot of energy and drive in the kick drums the HD650 is a little less energetic in that area than I would like. I find the Fostex TH-X00 (or TR-X00) to have more energy and drive in the kick drums and bass rhythm for metal than the HD650. The HD650 can certainly play metal well, but I like what the Fostex headphones do, and other headphones with good extended bass, a little better. Plus the Fostex are easier to drive.

The Magni amp series will drive the HD650. However, it is at the entry level for what I consider as a good amp for the HD650. The HD650 will sound more closed in than I like with the Magni amps. Better amps get the HD650 to open up more and at that point I find the HD650 more compelling.

Eric Murphy likes this.
  8. Eric Murphy

Thanks for all the info, so now I have to play with the idea of if I want to get another set of headphones or another set of headphones and upgrade the amp...

One final question I have is, if I get these headphones or headphones/amp it will likely be the last major audio purchase I make for a long time (I’m becoming a high school teacher and while it’s the career I love, it’s not something that affords you the privilege of getting endless high end audio). Given that I could either go with the Fostex or the HD650S with an upgraded amp in addition to the Grados I already have, I take it you’d recommend the HD650s and the amp?

And as far as the amp upgrade, would higher level Schiit amp do the trick? Would I need to upgrade my dac as well?

Thanks again, it looks like you pointed me in the direction to experiencing more HiFi.

9. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

I’ve had great results with the Massdrop Cavalli CTH (tube hybrid) amp, with the HD6xx (HD650).

Eric Murphy likes this.
  10. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I have owned the 325 "e" series since shortly after they replaced the "i" series. I like them a lot.

LeeS likes this.
  11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Are the e series any better than the i? I owned a pair of 325i's for a while and didn't like them. Way to thin sounding.

I just bought a pair of HD-800s's and they are just about perfect for me. Curious how these Grados would compare.

SBurke likes this.
  12. james

james Summon The Queen

The Sennheisers with a decent amp should make you happy for a long time. Maybe look for used 600’s, a new Schiit Vali and put a couple bucks towards aftermarket cables of the perfect length?

Eric Murphy likes this.
  13. Eric Murphy

I’m looking at HD6XX on massdrop and will probably end up upgrading my amp.

I’m thinking I will just use the Magni and Modi I have for a bit and then eventually upgrade the Magni to the Massdrop Cavalli Hybrid.

Anyone have thoughts on the Cavalli Hybrid used with the Modi DAC? I typically would use these headphones with my computer

14. james

james Summon The Queen

I think any reasonable person would be pretty happy with that stack for a long time

Eric Murphy likes this.
  15. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

Don’t know the Modi, but I’ve been very happy with the CTH version with the Grace DAC.

Eric Murphy and LeeS like this.
  16. LeeS

I've been considering that piece.

The PS1000s are sounding great. Breaking in some more. Pair especially well with the Mytek Brooklyn+ and AVM CS6.2.

Bill Larson and Eric Murphy like this.
  17. LeeS

The S version is 1000% better than the non-S which had a noticeable midrange scoop out.

I am looking at trying the Focal Elex on massdrop.

musictoad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.