Graham/Chartwell LS3/5 vs. ProAc Tablette 10 ...?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bhazen, May 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN Thread Starter

As the title suggests, I'm looking for those who've had a chance to hear these two speaker models and have an opinion on how they compare. I currently own the LS3/5's, driven by Naim electronics (and am pretty happy with the combo). However, there's no ProAc dealers 'round are way, and the reviews of the Tablette 10 make it sound rather fun.

TONEpub, can you help here? ... :)

2. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

I would expect the graham vs tablette 10 to be comparable
    sideways. not upgrade.

what are you missing with the graham? what do you dislike about them?

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    McLover and bhazen like this.
  3. bhazen

Absolutely nothing; in fact, I'm daring to believe that they may be my long-time speaker, they sound so good. I doubt I'd sell them even if I found another speaker to try. This type of speaker (small standmount, BBC-type voicing, etc.) works best in my space.

Just curious about how the much cheaper -- but apparently rather punchy & fun -- Tablette 10 competes. I like the fact that, like many much-loved Linn and Naim speakers of yore (think Kans, Saras, IBLs, SBLs etc.), it's designed to be placed up against the wall.

4. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Lateral move? I suppose you can get another pair of speakers, but keep the LS3/5's. I haven't listened to either in ages.

bhazen likes this.
  5. murphythecat

well then, dont look for another small speaker which will likely sound very similar. Those Proac are excellent for sure and you cant go wrong but id think you may like a different presentation: all small speakers sound similar in presentation. you win something but you lose something, more like a sidegrade more then anything else.

Look for a bigger speaker, something that will offer different presentation, ect. maybe hi effiiency speakers so you can play with low powered amps.

maybe try to add a sub.

Id be VERY surprised if those Proac would offer a significant upgrade.

bhazen likes this.
  6. bhazen

I'll probably stand pat. The Grahams sound so natural and punchy! Plenty of bass. Even "beat" some highly-regarded monitors like P3ESRs (Caveat: in my room, with my amp and ears.)

SP10 likes this.
  7. murphythecat

agreed. the graham roll off pretty quick, id probably want a sub to fill in the first octave. that would give a much bigger upgrade imo

as you know, the P3ESR are no slouch in the mini monitor realm. since you prefer the Graham, I highly doubt you would gain much by getting yet another mini monitor... chances are youll still prefer the graham!

as a ball curve, try audiovector qr3!

bhazen likes this.
  8. bhazen

You are likely correct.

Sadly I don't think there's an Audiovector dealer 'round here, those sound interesting. I'd like to hear the new Quads with ribbon tweeters sometime as well ... but just for fun.

9. Cuki

Cuki Member

I'm interested in this comparison too. I'm in the market for a nearfield, bookshelf speaker myself. LS3/5A type. Do I buy the new Tablette 10's or find a nice old matching pair of LS3/5A's?

bhazen likes this.
  10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Trust me on this... buy the Tablette 10's. They are my favorite 'LS3/5a type' speaker by far. I own P3ESR's, and I've had more LS3/5a's than I can remember (hence my user-name).

The Tablette 10's are wonderful.

octaneTom, bhazen, Cuki and 1 other person like this.
  11. bhazen

Have you heard the Grahams ...?

12. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Nope. But aren't they over three grand? There gets to be a point where it's just too much for what you're getting.

bhazen likes this.
  13. bhazen

Yup, they are. I got mine as ex-demo though, for a lot less (don't know if I could swallow $3,300 or whatever it was.) My favourite speakers so far, truly!

Do you have Tablette 10's now?

14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

bhazen you makin me crazy...

bhazen likes this.
  15. bhazen

"Baby ... your drivin' me crazy ..." ("Psycho", by the Sonics)

Seriously though, regardless of whatever shenanigans I get up to I'm not getting rid of the Grahams; they are very, very, very good. Exactly complementary in frequency shape, to my un-treated room.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  16. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Yup.

bhazen likes this.
  17. bhazen

I'll have to give 'em a listen when I'm in Portland in about ten days. :)

Do you have them against the wall?

18. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I use them in big bookshelves in my home theater - work great there. I've also put them on Skylan stands about three feet from the wall in my main system (vinyl only). That was spectacular - HUGE image.

bhazen likes this.
  19. LostnAmerica

LostnAmerica Active Member

Greetings, newbie here form Portland. I have two pairs on order and am awning for their arrival. I couldn't decide which color(s) I liked so I bought three, )Ebony, Cheery, and Maple). I'll probably end up selling one or two pairs of them (NIB of course).
    I'll keep posting upon arrival...
    Cheers
    LostnAmerica

20. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

We're going to want pictures when they get here. LOTS of pictures.

21. BobD

BobD Well-Known Member

Thanks to LostnAmerica, I purchased the Maple pair from him and they sound spectacular. ls35a knows his monitors! I replaced KEF LS 50's with the Tablette 10's and in my small room, the overall sound is better balanced, great imaging and resolution. All the monitors I had previously were ported, bass reflex or had passive radiators and just sounded too boomy and not quite right in the listening room. The Tablette 10's are on stands 26" tall and the imaging, clarity and bass definition are fantastic and they only have 5 hours on them so far. Great build quality and good looking little monitor. I picked up this CD "MA Recordings in the Groove" at the LA Audio Show as a freebie and it sounds amazing on the Tab 10's.

Cuki likes this.
  22. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Am I correct in believing that the Tab 10s are ideal for close proximity to a rear wall. I need a pair of small bookshelf speakers and the depth of these seem ideal.

bhazen likes this.
  23. bhazen

I think they're designed for close-to-the-wall placement, like the original Linn Kans.

24. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I briefly auditioned the Tab 10 and the Harbeth P3ESR at the dealer, with the new Rega P6 (2M Bronze) and the new Brio. Both speakers were placed about 5" from the wall, and both have been at the dealer for months. I only auditioned them with jazz, as that constitutes 90% of my 2-channel listening. I had high expectations for the Tab 10, but I found it too energetic/dynamic for my taste. I preferred the P3, but it is too close in sonic signature to my relatively cheap Epos K1. I was also surprised that the P3 sounded good even when relatively close to the wall (contrary to reviews and info from the Harbeth forum).

Knowing me, I will end up with one of these speakers anyways (probably the Harbeth), unless I find a better stand mount that I can place close to a wall.

25. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I love Proac speakers. I am also very fond of Harbeths. If you are looking for close to the wall speakers, I would suggest that you try Audio Note AN-K speakers or AN-J speakers. Very similar sonic Signature to the Proac and Harbeths, which is no surprise as all three are British.

Audio Note speakers are designed to be placed in corners, which frees up a lot of space. They can also be pulled out into the room but you get the best from them in the corners.

The AN speakers are higher efficiency so you don't have to have tons of watts to drive them. Very nice headphone collection by the way!

bhazen and PATB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.