Grammys under fire for Marilyn Manson nomination for Rap song of the year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Penny24, Nov 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I don't know why anyone is surprised. Cancel culture is the term problematic men seem to complain about constantly, while at the same time continuously evading. a lot of downright horrible human beings have won Grammys, quite a bit of them are forum favorites on here.

Ste_S, KJTC and Grant like this.
  2. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Back in the day, Marilyn Manson had a show in the college over here, and prior to the show there were several zealots outside the gym in protest. My friend and I happened to be driving past and he proceeded to taunt the zealots and then his car, a POS (not points of sales) K-car, started to smoke and then stalled. The zealots then went toward us and we hightailed it outta there, but my friend had a bad knee due to a football injury and a couple zealots caught up to him and were chanting prayers.

Fruff76 and ARK like this.
  3. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Fame itself can turn you into a horrible person.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The last album I liked from Kanye is "The Life Of Pablo".

This is a fact.

I am not apologizing for Mr. Brown, and I have never heard of any of this, as I do not really follow celebrity gossip. Has he ever been formally charged, and have the allegations ever been proven in court?

Did he actually do this, or did his fans do this? Inciting violence is illegal, but, as we have seen in the last year, hard to prove.

I don't know anything about his "cuteness". I have seen his fans defend him every step of the way. All bad people have their apologists. Just so you know, for the record, I am not a fan of Chris Brown. I may own a couple of songs by him, but that's where it ends.

Marylin Manson has looks? :yikes::unhunh: The dude is sick. I never liked him. He had been formally charged with simple assault, but it was recently dismissed because of statue of limitations. A federal lawsuit was files against him last April for a lot of the same things R. Kelly was charged with.

R. Kelly was never forgiven, but he does have a rabid fanbase of people who think "the man" is just trying to bring down another successful "brother". They always pointed to how he was exonerated for the last time his case went to trial. The only reason Bill Cosby is free today is because of a technical screwup.

A lot of artists work with Chris Brown, not just Kanye West.

Like I said, I don't really follow celebrity news.

That has been the narrative for quite a few years, at least the one that makes national news.

He did not. In fact, the news was that he always had anger issues. What was it? A broken home? He didn't get to sing lead in the church choir? Mommy and daddy didn't love him enough? His mom took him off her nipple too soon? His brother took his Tonka truck when he was two?

The people I think are total garbage are Ted Nugent, Pat Boone, Bill Cosby, and Jerry Lee Lewis, right along with the ones you listed.

I have an ex-girlfriend who is bi-polar too. We started to get back together several months ago until I was reminded of her mania, and we are now on the total opposite sides of the political and religious spectrum. Nope, never going back again!

I don't agree. If you are a horrible person, the money and fame simply helped bring it to the surface.

5. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

Seeing US internal state of affairs, a wild guess would be pigmentation?

6. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Can agree with you on that one.

7. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Yes, America. Where being black is a clear advantage in the criminal justice system.

Good Lord, people are telling on themselves up and down this thread.

fluxkit, Merrick and Micah like this.
  8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Who? Oh yeah, that guy.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

9. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I hate to be that guy…but this is considered rap now? I’m getting old.

10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Not that I care about awards or awards shows, but good. I'd want them to be considering things on musical merits. I have no interest in them moralizing.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  11. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

That says more about you than it does about the Grammys. “I don’t care about awards or award shows, except for making sure sexual abusers have a shot at winning.”

cwd, ghoulsurgery and georgwithoutane like this.
  12. l-l-d

l-l-d Forum Resident

Tried to google it, but it didn't make me any wiser.
    What is a PC musician?

13. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

What a goon

14. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

A musician too cheap to buy a Mac.

Ste_S, ARK, Neonbeam and 3 others like this.
  15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

16. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

I‘m not a fan of Marilyn Manson and think that his actions against women are disgraceful, but I’m also of the opinion that we should separate the art from the artist. The only exception for me is when the art is intended to be a propaganda for a disgraceful action! That’s the reason why I don’t like rap songs with misogynistic lyrics for an example.

fluxkit likes this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Sure. That was obvious. All three sentences were about my interests and preferences.

I want everyone to have a shot at winning on their musical merits, regardless of any facts about them that aren't musical facts.

Again, I'm not at all a fan of moralizing, whatever the content of the moralizing.

18. Terrapin Station

I wouldn't even exclude propaganda. I'm too much of a formalist to care about that (and I agree with what's known as the "intentional fallacy," too). If the work has aesthetic merits formally, it shouldn't matter if it's propaganda in my view.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  19. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

sounds to me like you’re showing some of your “powerful man” privilege with this statement

20. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Thank you for your brave and valiant efforts to make the music award show circuit safe for rapists and abusers. Lord knows there isn’t enough good music out there to fill up categories of five without them!

cwd likes this.
  21. Terrapin Station

What I care about when it comes to something like the Grammys is celebrating music. I don't want to use it as an excuse to control/regulate other persons' (non musical) behavior via social pressure. If you primarily care about controlling/regulating other persons' behavior, why not go into a more appropriate milieu such as politics, law or the police force?

51IS likes this.
  22. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

You’ve gone from not caring about awards and award shows at all to super caring about the Grammys not putting undue social pressure on musicians to not rape or beat women.

Imagine being more offended by a rapist not getting a Grammy than by a rapist being a rapist.

cwd and michaelscrutchin like this.
  23. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Social pressure is a community regulating itself, or at least attempting to. If abusive artists aren’t celebrated, it takes away their influence. If folks stop supporting those artists, it hits them financially and takes away the incentive for labels and promoters to work with them. If you take money and influence away from abusive artists, it makes it harder for them to abuse their positions of power and avoid accountability. Official institutions like the Grammys elevating abusive artists just helps validate them and their behavior. It says “this is OK because they made a record.” I’d like to see that validity taken away.

georgwithoutane and KJTC like this.
  24. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Or “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” and “Run For Your Life,” as two more examples. After all, singing about murder is way worse than committing it.

25. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

It also encourages a system that makes it harder for other artists, especially women, to navigate the industry and have their music heard without their safety being endangered. The people caterwauling about the poor rapists who might lose an opportunity for their music to be celebrated never seem to care about the artists who go unheard because predatory behaviors are allowed to continue. It’s all about making things as comfortable as possible for those already benefiting from an imbalance of power.

georgwithoutane and ghoulsurgery like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.