Gramophones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AliMorid, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliMorid

AliMorid New Member Thread Starter

Thinking it would be cool to have one of these around. My question is: can they play only certain types of LP's? Thanks in advance. Ali

2. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Ali, If your talking about an actual Gamophone, these only have a playback speed of 78rpm. There is a minor amount of speed adjustment on some models. The discs typically only had one song per side (sometimes by different artists!). The term album was actually first used to discribe collections of multiple discs released in a sort of binder or "album". These were most often Operas or longer pieces of classical music. Later popular artists began releasing "albums" of pop tunes of the day. When the 33 1/3 long playing record was introduced in the early fifties people just continued to refer to these collections of songs as albums. Sort of the way artists still refer to thier new releases as records even though in most cases they're really CDS. In any case if you do find a Gamophone in good working condition, you'll need to find a source for 78 discs. They're still out there but are getting harder to find.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There are replicas that are made in India that replicate the RCA Victrola. They're sold on eBay and even come with a nice looking horn. They're complete, working replicas. They go for about $160. From what I've seen, they are nice looking.

I almost bought one, but umm.. I wanted to get another cart for the GOOD turntable :)

Anyways, raid the yard sales and antique shows in your area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.