Grand Funk Railroad - Why no remastered/upgraded vinyl releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by featheredfiend, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I wonder if anyone also have 2LP collection "Mark Don & Mel 1969-71 Greatest Hits".

Wombat Reynolds likes this.
  2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Which version specifically?

3. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ordered the recently remastered version from Friday Music the other day...have to wait until Christmas to open/play it, but I'm hoping it will be good. However, in my experience Friday Music releases are hit-or-miss, so I'm tryingto temper my expectations.

The CD that was put out by Iconoclassic Records a few years ago sounds terrific - hoping this new vinyl release sounds as good if not better!

Old Zorki II likes this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I just needledropped my ancient copy of Closer To Home and it sounds AWESOME! It's one of the oldest records in my collection, I bought it used when I was 13 for about $2 and I was so pleased with myself that you could just go out and buy that stuff. :laugh: It's one of the noisier records in my collection but it still transferred very well.

5. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

6. Old Zorki II

Recent by Friday Music

7. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Perhaps they think the second hand market is heavily saturated with original copies.
    After all, they did sell millions of records and singles in America. And it seems there are always copies to be found at local pawn shops, thrift stores or record shops like Zia or Amoeba.

8. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Love to see a greatest hits set on vinyl.

9. Old Zorki II

Again, first 3 records are not easy to find in NM condition (but beaters are indeed cheap). People ask for first pressing in NM for them $100-$150 (with VG easely can be found for $5!).

Rockin' Robby and zphage like this.
  10. Technically, all three original members still tour, just not together

and when GFR tours with Bob Seger, fourth member Craig Frost is present

so, sadly, not all together :cry:

11. Indeed, and this is where Discogs shows its mettle with availability and various sellers interpretations of VG, VG+, and NM

Old Zorki II likes this.
  12. Again condition being the big variable.

I believe if the band weren't warring factions: Farner vs. Terry Knight estate vs. Mel & Don they would see the value of maintaining and tending better to their legacy.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  13. Old Zorki II

And also difference between "selling for" and "sold for" )))

zphage likes this.
  14. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I thought when Mark Farner tours, he doesn't play GFR material. True?

15. Tjazz likes this.
  16. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I have a 7 1/2 ips tape of Closer to Home that shakes the house when I play it. I would like a better sounding copy of the Red album. The Capitol lime green is ho hum. I’d like to listen to Inside Looking Out at an extremely high volume and with great sound quality.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  17. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Of course. This one turns up in the used bins and is an excellent way to hear their early stuff in quite good sound.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  18. Old Zorki II

My vinyl the same way.. Schacher is like the most underrated bass player in rock...

19. Old Zorki II

Is it Friday Music issue?

20. Old Zorki II

I just realized in my existing collection not a single GF record I bought - all were gifted by my good friend...

21. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

No it’s an original- highly recommended, especially at the $10-12 I usually see it for.

22. Old Zorki II

Thanks, will look at my local warehouse. They usually have tons of copies of popular collections, 90% trashed, but jewels can be found.

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I got a beautifully clean copy of the S/T red album in our classifieds, back in 2011, for only $15.00. So surreal for me to hold, and see a clean, quiet copy of such an iconic record, let alone hear it in such a state.
    As powerful as the Cool Price CD is, nothing can replace the albums in my mind, because the 48-49 year-old memories are so deep.

Marc Perman likes this.
  24. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I used to see this album all over the place for next to nothing up until a few years ago......I remember finding a sealed copy around 10 years ago for $5.

25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Wow, that's brutal! Couldn't make it more than a couple of minutes, and I'm a GFR fan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.