Grand Funk Railroad

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by laughalot, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old school

old school Senior Member

Grand Funk is from Flint Michigan and played Detroit many times and the Detroit audience loved them period! Don't try to make something out of nothing more.

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

It certainly didn't hurt their career! I assume it was Todd Rundgren's idea?

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

From songfacts.com interview with Don Brewer:

"In our interview with Grand Funk drummer and vocalist Don Brewer, he explained: "The idea of Locomotion came when we were working on theShinin' On album in the studio with Todd (Rundgren). We had basically finished the album - 'Shinin' On' was going to be the first single, and we were thinking about what we were going to do for another song. Mark (Farner) came in one day and off the top of his head was singing, 'Everybody's doing a brand new dance now,' just for fun, and we all went, 'Yeah, Grand Funk doing the Locomotion.' It was a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing, and we said, 'Let's try it, let's do it,' so we sent off to New York, got the lyrics, and Todd had the idea of doing the song kind of like The Beach Boys' 'Barbara Ann' where it sounded like a big party was going on, except Todd could really crank up every thing with the hand claps and all of that stuff. It just had this huge sound to it - it sounded like a big party."

jsayers likes this.
  4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Air play. On their best album, the red album you would never have seen Locomotion within 1 million miles of that album.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  5. I wouldn't disagree but, again, I kind of like it because it's VERY unexpected for a band like them. It's an interesting cover as well and, of course, it DID get them airplay. At the end of the day, though, it's about the song and they do a terrific job of covering the song.

Zeki and sgtpppr84 like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

With all due respect, you need to do your homework. EVERYTHING @Spaghettiows said was 100% true. It was Peter Grant who pulled the plug on GFR, first literally, then tour-wise. Mark has verified this on camera many times. GFR scared the piss out of Zeppelin !!!

Behind The Music : (13 min. in-Terry Knight tells the tale here). They sold out Shea faster than The Beatles, they blew Zeppelin's audience away, sure it sounds exaggerated now, but for a time, Grand Funk Ruled Rock and Roll.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    Todd W. and pool_of_tears like this.
  7. old school

old school Senior Member

But what does it really mean? Not much Led Zeppelin sold more albums, sold out more concerts, was the band of the 70s, and had more talent 1000 fold!
    And was the band that made more money then any other band case closed.

8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

You said it NEVER happened. Did it never happen or are they trying to make something out of nothing?

Myke likes this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It's obvious what it means. As a live act, they were a force to be reckoned with. All Zep had to do was take the stage, and maintain the same level of excitement. Obviously, their own manager knew they couldn't do it.

10. dmiller458

It never happened or it doesn't mean much in the greater scheme of things?

11. old school

old school Senior Member

First of all I won't answer you're question because you come out of the woodwork to cause trouble, which I have zero time for you buddy adios!

12. old school

old school Senior Member

Fair enough Myke.

Myke likes this.
  13. dmiller458

You won't answer my question because you're know that you're wrong. Admit that it happened and move on.

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Sales and dollars don't mean much either. Who cares whom did what?! Both bands were great for a time.

jsayers likes this.
  15. old school

old school Senior Member

I'm not wrong dude. In the big picture what happened did not mean much period.

16. dmiller458

You said it never happened. It either happened or it didn't. Don't try to rewrite history. I love Zeppelin too, but it doesn't change the facts.

17. old school

old school Senior Member

I never said that was not the case! I like Grand Funk but I also know the history of both bands. I was there at the time were you?

18. old school

old school Senior Member

If you read my posts I admitted it happened! But I also said it did not mean much in the big picture! Now I'm done and made my point.

19. dmiller458

Now was that so difficult?

20. old school

old school Senior Member

You have some nerve dude! There are rules on this Forum so I will keep my cool. Time to use the ignore button!

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

If it did happen, why has nobody in the LZ camp said anything?
    Everything seems to come from the GFR side.
    We have the 3 members of GFR & their manager confirming this.
    I've never heard Jimmy Page or anybody else associated with LZ mention this.
    I remain unconvinced until I hear audio from the show (since I wasn't there).
    Was this show recorded?
    It's one thing to go on 45+ year old memories, it's another to have documented proof.

Darryl

old school likes this.
  22. dmiller458

How about why has no one from Zeppelin ever said that it didn't happen?

23. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

I'm not from Detroit. Grand Funk was huge in Missouri as big as Zeppelin in the 70's. Missouri is no where near Detroit. Grand Funk played here, Zeppelin never did... BTW, this is Southern Misery, not KC or St Louis. We had plenty of big 70's bands play here back in the day, Rush, ELP, Doobies, Styx, Clapton, BOC, REO, Heart, some dude named Elvis... the list goes on and on. You tend to have more fans in places you play... I'm a huge fan of both bands. Zeppelin may have ruled, but Grand Funk had just as many fans, maybe more in this neck of the woods.

Myke likes this.
  24. old school

old school Senior Member

All right brother I believe you! Long live Grand Funk!

25. dmiller458

8 straight US top ten albums, 11 straight gold or platinum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.