Grand Funk Railroad

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by laughalot, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

If I may suggest THIS comp that has a much broader track listing and great sound as well :

http://www.amazon.com/Capitol-Collectors-Grand-Funk-Railroad/dp/B000002UTD/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1373225094&sr=1-3&keywords=grand funk railroad greatest hits

1. Time Machine
    2. Heartbreaker
    3. Inside Looking Out
    4. Closer To Home/I'm Your Captain
    5. Mean Mistreater
    6. Feelin' Alright
    7. Gimme Shelter
    8. Footstompin' Music
    9. Rock And Roll Soul
    10. We're An American Band
    11. Walk Like A Man (You Can Call Me Your Man)
    12. The Loco-Motion
    13. Shinin' On
    14. Some Kind Of Wonderful
    15. Bad Time

Let's face it - if you really dig the early stuff, you need to get the cds or albums of them. Their deep album cuts are among their best, imho. Plus, the Mark, Don & Mel comp substitutes live versions for studio tracks on a lot of it's content. Just sayin....

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Rocketdog likes this.
  3. pool_of_tears

Until Iconoclassic reissued Mark, Don, & Mel I had my own cd-r of that album using songs taken from the Pastmasters discs. While it sounded good (and still does), Iconoclassic nailed it with the utilization of Vic Anesini's mastering skills.

4. jsayers

It's too bad he didn't do the remasters instead of whoever it was that ruined them. :realmad:

5. pool_of_tears

I agree. The approach for the packaging and content was A+ but the mastering was D+

jsayers likes this.
  6. pool_of_tears

Just for the record...Mark, Don & Mel used the live versions of Are You Ready, Mean Mistreater and T.N.U.C.

7. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Live Album is a good rattle your car speakers album.

8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Blasphemy!!!

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mark, Don, & Mel was intended to fulfill a contractual obligation in 1971. Nothing more.

jsayers likes this.
  10. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Excellent track list though. :)

Terry, rstamberg and Myke like this.
  11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Ahh, the Funk, great simple, loud rock. While not the most talented (except for the bassist), they did more with what they had than 80% of the bands out there. Must haves are their 1st 3 albums and E Pluribus. American Band should also be mentioned, just hate Rundgren's production (better than Shinin' On). Oh yeah, if you like Grand Funk, check out Bloodrock.

gramfan and Paper Wizard like this.
  12. jsayers

Yea, it was aimed at the casual fan at the time. I remember when it came out, I looked it over and saw I had everything on it so I didn't buy it - then or now. Now if they'd included a track or two that wasn't available anywhere else, I might have jumped. It was packaged nicely though, with a gatefold and a poster. Lots of my friends had the lp or the 8-track blasting in their cars all the time, I just slapped in my Survival, Red Album, E Pluribus Funk or Closer To Home 8-track in response! :laugh:

13. jsayers

Personally, I'd swap that On Time album for Survival, but that's just me. :uhhuh:

14. pool_of_tears

And it may rattle your bong too :D

Terry likes this.
  15. David Dalton

David Dalton New Member

The return of GFR in 1996 at the Palace for the three Bosnia shows was incredible with Peter Frampton & Alto Reed was incredible. Drove down from T.O. but all great things eventually come to an end over time. The new version of GFR with Max Carl, Bruce Kulik and Tim Cashion is an absolute joke. Hang it up boys. Love going to the Seger shows with Donnie on the kit

seacliffe301 and jsayers like this.
  16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Playing some GFR today.

Darryl

apple-richard likes this.
  17. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Substitute " Nickleback" for "GFR" and all will become clear. There are plenty of parallels here - both bands with big, loyal fanbases, both bands who shift(ed) mucho units, both absolutely reviled by critics. Lack the cool factor with the rock "inteligentsia" so the critics flog them to build their hipster cred. If you like them, go for it. The heart wants what it wants. Enjoy! Many do.

18. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Grand Funk proved that all you need to succeed is fans! Doesn't matter what the critics or anybody else thinks of you. And GFR had fans
    by the truckloads!!!!

Live Album was my first GFR album and I was hooked! What a great, raw. powerful live album it is!

Saw them in Albuquerque in 1973 and while it was a fabulous show...nothing could beat GFR in their prime as a trio!

19. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I like those albums as well, but I also like Phoenix. I seen them right after EPF was released and to this day it is the best concert I have been to. God really gifted Mark Farner, the guy isn't just a fantastic guitarist with a beautiful voice, he also puts on a hell of a live show.

The only album after Phoenix I like is Bosnia, which is really nicely recorded.

gregorya likes this.
  20. jsayers

I agree that Bosnia is a very good and under-rated live album, but have to disagree strongly about Phoenix. I've always thought that was a very weak album - I was very disappointed when it first came out and feel the same way still. Oh well, different strokes and all that....

I posted this somewhere in another GF thread, but I saw the Bosnia tour <sans orchestra> at Lisner Auditorium in Georgetown, Wash DC. GF were at the Tower Records across the street signing stuff after the show - a fantastic concert - Lisner is legendary for it's excellent acoustics, Farner's voice had never sounded so good!

21. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

I'd have to say, I'm Your Captain/Closer To Home was the first song that I found "moved" me from this group. My brother had played it for me from his car 8-Track. I especially love the intro, IMHO one of the greatest intros of all time in a rock song (the long intro, that is, not the hacked up version used on the single release).

22. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

The albums from On Time through Survival all my favorites. After that I still like them but not as much as the earlier ones. Shinin' On is good too.

Bad Time is a song that reminds me of this job I had washing dishes at a restaurant in Pontiac Michigan where I worked as a teen. I always heard that song on the radio. Great song, lousy job!

Scott

23. jsayers

24. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I think every GFR album should have been recorded live - if ever there was a band that really brought their style to life in a live environment it was GFR. Yeah, some nice moments on a few of the studio records but there's a reason why most say "yeah, GFR Live album..."

25. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I just happen to like Phoenix, but I understand why it was panned and not as popular as their previous stuff, it was quite a departure.
    I always liked the very dry sounding production on it and the way the keyboards are on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.