Grateful Dead 17CD set "In and Out of the Garden: MSG ’81, ’82, ’83" due Sept 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mcrichley, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Ton of inspired playing in the early/mid eighties. I don’t know how Jerry did it sometimes but he could still be incredible all through the “dark years”.

OhioHead, Bruso, Merrick and 2 others like this.
  2. capesq

capesq Well-Known Member

Has anyone who purchased the downloads had luck with all of the shows being available to download?

3. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I downloaded the FLACs without issue. The final show took a little longer and so I started to think "Oh shoot..." but it came around too. Everything is there in 24-192 as advertised. I'm a little surprised but I'll take it!

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

1981, particularly the Spring, is not a 'dark year' in my experience. I had my face stolen a few times. When you listen to 10 March 1981- MSG, you'll hear a few examples of stolen faces.

Bruso, footlooseman, Merrick and 7 others like this.
  5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Did you have 6 different links. My order is only showing 1 link and it’s the final show

6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah that looks dumb. Glad I didn't really want this.

7. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Oh my! Yes, I had 6 different links, one for each show. They also had links for the 3 singles, but since those songs are parts of the full sets I didn't download those.

8. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Much as I love 3/9, I always thought 3/10/81 was the better show. So glad we’re about to get them both!

Mad Dog and US Blues like this.
  9. US Blues

I was in attendance for the 10th, so I am biased.

10. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

The final notes of that Fire are just so unique. No Scarlet Begonias coda if I remember correctly.

US Blues likes this.
  11. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

I listened to the two related Deadcast episodes on the trips to and from work this week. While I think it’s certainly fair to call them hour long commercials for the box set, they are really entertaining and insightful. I’d already ordered before I listened, but the podcast has me more excited than I thought I’d be for the box to arrive.

As someone who is way to young to have experienced the band, the tour scene, etc… it’s really fun to hear people’s stories about following the band, making posters/tshirts, or getting into various other enterprises.

tedhead, trd, budwhite and 1 other person like this.
  12. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

So support emailed me a download code last night for all six shows and I get the message "coupon code not yet available". Can anything ever be done right?

13. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

I'm not a big complainer, and so far, I have always done the physical boxes anyway so it doesn't affect me directly... and I can live with a brief delay in shipping. These days I almost expect that with the way supply chains are. And it seems like they are pretty good about replacing damaged discs when that happens.

But when the last few digital rollouts have been disastrous, it boggles my mind that they haven't done whatever needs to be done to fix the issues people are having. One of the main advantages a digital option is supposed to offer is getting the music on release day without worrying about shipping expenses or delays. Maybe it is harder than it seems, but I don't really think so.

Between that and the crazy shipping expenses that people outside the U.S. are expected to pay... I really get why people are upset.

I am a really big fan of the way this archival release program keeps great music coming. But I wish they'd get the customer service stuff together for digital buyers and international buyers.

14. Jimbobwe

Jimbobwe Forum Resident

Purchased the flac 24 box set download last night and only the link to 3-9-81 has files in it. All the other zips cant be decompressed because…no files! 3-9-81 sounds really good though.

US Blues likes this.
  15. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

The 3-9-81 show is on Amazon music in ultra hd.

16. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

Unfortunately, Weir is completely turned down on the SBD which is a shame because it's a great mix otherwise. The AUD is one to go with for 3/10. 3/9 sounds perfect.

WaterLemon and US Blues like this.
  17. US Blues

Fire Healy!

tedhead, Guy Smiley and AlienRendel like this.
  18. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Got the downloads (Generally went OK) and just listenig to 3/9/81 now.

What the hell is that bizare sound at about 1:00 into the lead song (Half-Step)? It’s a little creepy,

US Blues likes this.
  19. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

It's a reverb tank from a guitar amp. I’m thinking Jerry’s amp since Bobby is barely in the mix, though I’m listening to it (3/10/81 that is) on LMA since my discs aren’t here yet.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Guy Smiley and YouCantWin like this.
  20. US Blues

The stage left PA stack emitted a horrendous sound and all the amps went into shutdown, silencing half the PA while the band continued to play. The amps then slowly tuned back on section by section. It is unclear what caused this incident, for a heart stopping moment I though they had toasted the PA, but good technical design saved the show.

During Fire On The Mountain Jerry recreates the sound of the PA exploding with the Tiger. Exceptional.

21. Guy Smiley

Thanks! I listened on, and Bobby joked about it a few minutes later.

Another face melting show, every bit as good as the previous night. Just wasn’t expecting that weirdness!

22. Guy Smiley

Genius at work!

Crispy Rob, US Blues and AlienRendel like this.
  23. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Listening to 9/20/82 now. This is definitely the show in the box I'm least familiar with. Jerry's soloing on Row Jimmy...wow.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and uzn007 like this.
  24. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Also, an imperfect comparison, but was just interested to hear how 10/11/83 Day Job compared to 10/14/83 (Dicks 6) Day Job in mix and mastering. Plangent really shows their worth here — way better than the Dicks Pick. But Charlie released an upgrade of that show that is neck and neck with the new box

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  25. chumbo73

chumbo73 Forum Resident

Are there any scans of the artwork?