Grateful Dead 17CD set "In and Out of the Garden: MSG ’81, ’82, ’83" due Sept 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mcrichley, Jul 13, 2022.

1. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Nobody has the CDs yet so probably not. Does the DL come with anything other than minimal artwork?

2. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Unlike Zappa downloads that come with a PDF of the liners all you'll get with the Dead download (at least FLAC) is the mushroom cover art. Oh well, I'm 3 shows in and the sound is very good for cassette sources.

3. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is this the first time the 24bit files aren’t split up by disc to mirror the physical versions? I’m not hearing any fades in between songs other than at the end of a set. This is great news! I always felt foolish dividing the files to my server by disc when they’re hi-res digital files. Now I can divide them by set, which is how it should be.

AlienRendel likes this.
  4. mkortjohn

mkortjohn Forum Resident

I opted for the standalone 3/9/81 release over the box because, well... the 80s. I will admit to holding a bias against any show from 80-88, due in equal parts to an expectation that the cassette source will sound crappy, the playing will be lackluster (or both). If any one release from that period might reverse that bias it is this one. First the sound: if you told me this was a multitrack recording, I would believe you. Great instrument separation. Both guitars and keys are well represented in the mix. Drums sound like actual drum kits, not drumsticks beating on cardboard. I'd take a little more Phil in the mix (but personally I find that's the case with most releases from any time period). If anything aspect of the recording betrays its source, it would be the vocals that are a bit loud and very up-front in the mix. If the my biggest complaint is that I'm getting extra Jerry and Bobby in the mix, it's not really a complaint at all. More important than the sound, though is the energy that comes through in this set. In an interview with Jerry recounted in the liner notes, Jerry is quoted as saying, "There is a point of view - musically - that is getting almost palpable. We know when we hit it." There are several moments throughout the both sets in which you can hear the boys know this is a show where they have definitely "hit it." Everything is generally well played, but especially the lead guitar (forget the fellow's name)... there is a clarity, precision, focus, and urgency that leads the rest of the band, especially the Feel Like a Stranger first set opener and the China Rider that begins the second set. I know the box hasn't been released yet, but for those that have the downloads, I'm interested in knowing... do the rest of the shows in the "box" follow suit? (especially those from 82 and 83?) If so, there is little question that another box is in my future...

Ray29, highway, tedhead and 8 others like this.
  5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I think they’ve been doing that since the PNW box

6. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

You’re right! I’ve got the St. Louis box and the Giants Stadium box divided by set, but not the PNW box or the June 1976 box. I’ll have to go back and fix that!

dtuck90 likes this.
  7. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

He did get fired I think but 13 years later.

US Blues likes this.
  8. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Box countdown!

9. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Pretty much spot on analysis of the standalone show, the vocals took a few songs for me to get used to (especially in headphones) but the show is hot enough that it doesn't spoil anything for - this is a hot, hot show.

WaterLemon, US Blues, track11 and 3 others like this.
  10. GuidedByJonO)))

I will say I'm somewhat surprised by the number of patches in a "standalone" focus show like this. They all seem to be done with care and likely won't bother most Heads that spent a lot of time with various recording sources and tapes, but it may standout to folks who typically stick to just the official releases.

dtuck90 likes this.
  11. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Holy hell, this Help>Slip>Franklin from 10-12-83 is amazing. Might just be THE show of the whole set.

12. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Damn, well, I'm ready to get this thing in the mail.

13. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

IWT :tiphat:

I'm curious to revisit this one to assess the energy post-Drums.

Revolution
    nearly brought the building down. I had floor seat, behind the SBD to the left, and everyone fell over when Jerry stepped up to the mic and sang the first line. Later I heard they had sound checked it, but it was a stunner!

14. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

The sound quality is also phenomenal but man, the show itself really smokes. Apparently, I need to check out more '83 shows.

Crispy Rob, Mad Dog, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Interesting they repeated Throwing Stones and Touch back to back 9-20/21-82. It’s not like the album was out…

16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

They were practicing them

17. uzn007

Gotta rehearse!

AlienRendel likes this.
  18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The Dead are legendary for their strict practice regiment. ;)

AlienRendel likes this.
  19. uzn007

They even practiced on nights when they had gigs! ;)

20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Gigs?

21. uzn007

Shows?

22. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Open rehearsals

23. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Some of those early Throwing Stones have monster Jerry solos as they were still figuring it all out.

Crispy Rob and AlienRendel like this.
  24. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Rehearsals where you have to wait until setbreak or Drums to go do more dope.

AlienRendel likes this.
  25. GuidedByJonO)))

Imho, if you feel the need to skip "Drums", you need stronger stuff.