Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That's quite a feat.
    The signature riff is 6:34-6:47.

rvintamin likes this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Sorry, @Al Gator for my tardiness! :winkgrin:

Notes and ramblings previously posted (I think I may have missed a couple of songs)—

Shakedown Street from New Haven, 25/10/79 (found on RT 1.1) is my kinda jam.

Is there a better, funkier Shakedown Street than New Haven, 25/10/79 (found on RT 1.1)?

Check out Shakedown Street from Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 1: Fall ‘79 — New Haven Coliseum, New Haven, CT, 25/10/79 for some ultimate Dead-funk!

Yeah, I like this one! :laugh:

— — —

The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA, 06/11/79.

Again, this was released as a download-only spin-off from the Road Trips series, though, IMO, the highlights of this show were actually released on Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 1: Fall ‘79.

I’ll keep this short and sweet …

1st set:
    • Jack Straw > — a seriously-rockin’, rippin’ red-hot Jack Straw has Phil dropping bass-bombs aplenty, guitars ringing and chiming out beautifully, Jerry playing some seriously quick runs during a superb lengthy mid-jam, then an on-point, absolutely nailed “Jack Straw from Wichita” sung and played with extra oomph and gusto—a truly ferocious performance;
    • Deal — a sweet set-closer—crisp, tight and jammy with some exceptional band interplay, that swirls and builds and just don’t wanna quit. I wish it went on longer!
    2nd set:
    • Terrapin Station > — an exceptionally patient, slow-burning Terrapin, that’s long and mellow, and in no hurry to get anywhere—this is real-smooth and supremely fluid which ebbs and flows beautifully; a rather elegant and quietly tender version, with some impeccable and impressive jamming;
    • Playing In The Band — a huge and spacey, 22-minute psychedelic monster, with an amazingly exploratory, exquisitely intricate jam and Brent adding his unique textures and effects to the sound. Great vocals, too—an all-round stellar version;
    • Black Peter — this one’s not on RT 1.1., but it’s well worth checking out for its sublime, emotionally moving soloing. A beautiful, soulful version. Up there.
    I: Alabama Getaway > Promised Land, Tennessee Jed, Me And My Uncle > Mexicali Blues, Candyman, Easy To Love You, Looks Like Rain, Jack-A-Roe, Jack Straw* > Deal*.

II: Terrapin Station* > Playing In The Band* > Drums > Black Peter > Good Lovin’.

E: U.S. Blues.

*also on RT 1.1.

— — —

A perfect snack; 40-minutes of the 2nd set from Capital Centre, Landover, MD, 08/11/79, which was released on Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 1: Fall ‘79 (and Bonus Disc).

This one’s notable for a rare Morning Dew—the first one played in over 18 months, and the only one played in 1979. It’s Phil’s showcase; a huge bass-bomb-filled highlight, with a unique reggae-inspired jam and is well-worthy of a listen; preceded by a slow and groovin’ NFA.

I’ve not listened this whole show, but dig what I’ve heard from this little snippet.

I: New Minglewood Blues, Stagger Lee, Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, It’s All Over Now, Don’t Ease Me In, Looks Like Rain > Deal.

II: Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain, Lost Sailor** > Saint Of Circumstance** > Drums > Space** > Not Fade Away* > Morning Dew*.

E: Johnny B. Goode.

*on RT 1.1.
    **on RT 1.1. Bonus Disc.

— — —

The almost complete 2nd set from Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, NY, 09/11/79, which was released on Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 1: Fall ‘79 (and Bonus Disc).

A really great set; some notable highlights are the downright funkiness of Dancing > Franklin’s which is super-groovin’ and has an insane, flawless transition; He’s Gone segues into a really neat, intense Jam with Caution teases before settling on the Gloria riff; and a rockin’ Bertha is uniquely and unusually placed near the end of the 2nd set.

I really dig Fall ‘79. With the addition of Brent settled in, the band sound alive—they’ve been revitalised, they’re fresh and full of new ideas. There’s boundless energy and enthusiasm. It’s a good place to be.

I: Alabama Getaway > The Promised Land, They Love Each Other, Cassidy, Loser, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Althea, Easy To Love You, Jack Straw.

II: Dancing In The Street* > Franklin’s Tower*, Estimated Prophet** > He’s Gone** > Jam** > Drums > Space > Wharf Rat* > I Need A Miracle* > Bertha* > Good Lovin’*.

*on RT 1.1.
    **on RT 1.1. Bonus Disc.

— — —

End.

trd, notesofachord, Skylab and 4 others like this.
  3. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Just checking out 11/6/79 right now, for some reason I never got around to hearing it. Agree with @SJR re: the second set -- I've heard most of that tour, and to my ears it's definitely one of the better ones, although there may be some recency bias creeping in.

trd, Crispy Rob, superstar19 and 2 others like this.
  4. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

Road Trips Vol. 1. No. 2.: October 1977

Killer, maniacal Let it Grow is one of the best I know. Very nice Sugaree, TMNS and Half-Step. Help>Splipknot!>Franklin's are always welcome on any setlist, but for me this is just an average rendition and Franklin's is too long.

PITB that opens the disc two is again very nice – there is some prominent feedback work by Bobby. He should have been doing that more often (just as a side note, Phil himself expressed regret about this in his book). There are short drums leading into a killer The Other One. Bobby's Good Lovin'… Ahhh, I can take only so many of them. Terrapin Station is always welcome and Black Peter ends with an unusually high energy jam. Around and Around shouldn't last 9 minutes. I can do without repetitive verses and Bobby and Donna screaming on top of each other (at least this is my usual association when I see Around and Around with duration like this). Brokedown Palace ? Yes Please.

Overall this is a very nice compilation worth of repeated listens, but somehow not essential in my book.

Overall rating: 3.8/5

5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Ha ha, I like that you reviewed it and didn't listen to it! (not a criticism, I don't blame you)

6. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

That is my association when I see Around and Around with 09:00 timing, it does not necessarily men that is happening here, just that I balk at the site of it... If that makes sense :laugh:
    BTW There notes are not fresh, but were made upon last listening of this material, some half a year ago.

Al Gator and bzfgt like this.
  7. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

Road Trips V1, No. 2: October, '77

Someone around here warned me that Fall '77 was good, and a little grittier than that famous 5th month of '77. I think it was @SJR , because I was singing the praises of DeKalb '77 but I'm not sure. Anyway, I enjoyed RT 1.2.

That Let It Grow seems almost unhinged, and I dug it.

I think I agree with Al about the Sugaree. I LOVE the version from 5/22/77 [Dick's Picks, Vol. 3]... I think that's my favorite of the long ones so far... it feels like listening to three songs worth of tension and payoff... but with the one from RT1.2, its something about the quiet moments... it doesn't settle back down between solos quite as well. But that being said, It still ain't no slouch.

The finish on TMNS is great, and Half-Step nailed the landing as well. I didn't skip El Paso while listening, but I'm going to skip it here. H/S/F wasn't particularly notable on my first listen.

I thought the 2nd disc held together a bit better than the 1st. The Playin' was pretty good for post-hiatus, I thought, cool Drums, and a nice TOO. I'm not one of those Bobby haters, but any time I heard a Good Lovin' that isn't a Pigpen version, It kind of ends up reminding me of one of those soundtracks to a medication advertisement featuring old people continuing to live their best lives because their doctor prescribed them Lipitor or something.

Really loved this Black Peter. And God help me, I'd buy one of those "No Around & Around" pins if I saw one, but I actually like this one. It felt like it was long mostly because Jerry was going full-on guitar hero on it. Brokedown Palace is always nice.

That's all I've got on an initial listen. I felt like this one was solid with some nice highlights. But it didn't blow my mind like DeKalb. I also don't have the bonus disc, so maybe that would've bumped it up a bit. But I'm not complaining. I was happy to hear it, but not sure I'll be reaching for it too often.

trd, Skylab, adamos and 7 others like this.
  8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yep, sounds like me. :righton:

Mr_Flanders and Al Gator like this.
  9. LostWilbury

LostWilbury Forum Resident

I've really enjoyed Road Trips 1.2 when I've listened to it (particularly the raucous Halfstep,) but I've always felt like i should just listen to some of those October shows all the way through ( which I have yet to do). When I'm looking for Fall 77' I mainly reach for that November NY run which has all been released. After having been a deadhead for a long enough to where I could say, there are a few places where i don't mind a compilation covering a run of shows, but I don't think Fall 77' benefits from it.

trd, Dahabenzapple, Al Gator and 2 others like this.
  10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Apologies again, @Al Gator . Better late then never—

Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 2: October ‘77.

This snack-size listening session is a sequence from the end of the 2nd set at University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, 07/10/77 (found on the Bonus Disc):
    • Iko Iko > — fun and groovy, this is a lively one and it sounds great. This was the first Iko. I know it was played spontaneously as part of Not Fade Away sometime during May ‘77, in St. Louis, I think? Anyway, I believe this one was planned;
    • The Wheel > — epic and beautifully sung/played, Phil’s elegant throbbing bass just shines and the whole song rolls along superbly. A flawlessly silky smooth version with a very pretty transition;
    • Wharf Rat > — this here is an all-timer. Perfect. Jerry is in fine form vocally, there’s scintillating solos that ring out and chime, and some magnificent jamming swirling to an intense climax. Keith’s keys are also sublime throughout, most especially during the “I’ll get up and fly away” section. An outstanding, emotional, transcendent version. If you’ve not heard it, I highly recommend it;
    • Sugar Magnolia — is furiously rockin’, with some sweet band interplay and an absolute bat-s h i t insane jam before Sunshine Daydream.
    An astonishing, impeccably played 35-minute sequence that rewards repeat listens.

Unfortunately, the full show isn’t available anywhere.

I do however have, from last year’s 30 Days of Dead; Passenger, which is also from the 2nd set here—and this one is rippin’ hot.

I: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Jack Straw, Peggy-O, El Paso, They Love Each Other, Big River, Dupree’s Diamond Blues, Let It Grow, Deal.

II: Samson And Delilah, Sunrise, Ramble On Rose, Passenger**, Terrapin Station > Playing In The Band > Drums > Iko Iko* > The Wheel* > Wharf Rat* > Sugar Magnolia*.

E: One More Saturday Night.

*on RT 1.2. Bonus Disc.
    **on 30 Days of Dead 2019.

— — —

Again from October 1977, split across Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 2: October ‘77 and Dick’s Picks #29 [Hidden Tracks] with selections from Lloyd Noble Centre, Norman, OK, 11/10/77.

I’ve resequenced the tracks in playing order. [I’ve left out the Dick’s Picks stuff for this]

1st set:
    • Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin’s Tower — super set/show opener. Energetic, if a little sloppy, with a great groove. There’s a killer bluesy sound to this Slipknot! and Franklin’s Tower contains some sweet China Cat teases. This was the last H>S>F with Keith and Donna, and the last one played until ‘83;
    • Sunrise — really sweet and gorgeous, Donna’s delicate vocals fade up into the mix on this one, lending it an ethereal quality;
    • Let It Growwhoa … this rages and rips—a maelstrom of insane and intense energy. A full-throttle, scorching hot, face-melting set-closer and highlight. An all-timer version (though, there’s a better one coming at the end of the month ;)).
    It’s a shame this show never got a full “official” release, rather bits and pieces cobbled together from various sources. I remember reading that Dick Latvala wanted this show released as his first Dick’s Picks but the band vetoed the idea. Shame, I tell ye! Shame!

I: Help On The Way* > Slipknot!* > Franklin’s Tower*, Jack Straw, Peggy-O, El Paso, Sunrise**, Deal, Let It Grow*.

II: Dancing In The Street*** > Dire Wolf***, Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Not Fade Away*** > Wharf Rat*** > Around And Around***.

*on RT 1.2.
    **on RT 1.2. Bonus Disc.
    ***on DP’s #29.

— — —

Further selections from Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 2: October ‘77 and a sweet hour-long snack-size playlist from Hofheinz Pavilion, Houston, TX, 14/10/77.

Again, I’ve re-sequenced in playing order.

1st set:
    • Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo — real-smooth with a rippin’ solo and exquisitely heady, soaring jam;
    • El Paso — a thumpin’, pummelling bass and drums-heavy “cowboy” tune played in Texas! Rollickin’ stuff;
    • Loser — a wondrous version with some insane face-melting jamming and a scintillating solo.
    2nd set:
    • Playing In The Band — rockin’ hard, it bolts out of the gate and gallops along, before becoming super-spacey, filled with mega-jammy goodness. I kinda drift and get lost inside of this one;
    • Brokedown Palace > — a sweet and gorgeously tender encore with some lovely harmonies, and a unique transition back into PITB;
    • Playing In The Band — a fierce, thunderously intense reprise closes with a bang.
    I: Jack Straw, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo* > El Paso*, Brown-Eyed Women, New Minglewood Blues, Loser**, Passenger, Friend Of The Devil, Me And My Uncle, Tennessee Jed, The Music Never Stopped.

II: Bertha > Good Lovin’, Candyman, Playing In The Band* > Drums > The Wheel > Wharf Rat > Around And Around.

E: Brokedown Palace* > Playing In The Band*.

*on RT 1.2.
    **on
    RT 1.2. Bonus Disc.

— — —

The final material of Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 2: October ‘77 taken from Assembly Centre (Louisiana State University), Baton Rouge, LA, 16/10/77. A couple of songs from the 1st set and the whole of the 2nd set (minus the U.S. Blues encore). This is a belter of a show, performed on Bobby’s 30th birthday. Happy birthday, Bob!

1st set:
    • Sugaree — holy s h i t, wow! … this is insane. A totally ridonkulous 17-minute beast! It’s crackling with electrifying energy; thumping, relentless jamming that gloriously just keeps peaking and peaking and some absolutely outrageous, scintillating face-stealing soloing. It’s quite ridiculous how good this is. Tremendous. A definite all-timer that’s up there with the very best of the year—when push comes to shove, it’s probably my favourite version;
    • The Music Never Stopped — an energetically super-charged, unbelievably white-hot version with some real intensely amped-up, dizzying outro jamming that just builds and builds to an explosive climax. Impossible to sit still—try not shaking along to this one. A magnificent, breathlessly rip-snortin’ version. Phew!
    2nd set:
    • Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain “there ain’t nothing wrong with the way this one moves” … a supremely melodic, super-sweet version, this floats along with Phil-bombs galore and an exquisitely effortless transition jam, before a majestic wah-wah heavy intro into a stunning, mellow-groovin’ Fire, which ups the ante during the final minute, with some astoundingly hypnotic cyclical soloing. Mega-heady, man;
    • Estimated Prophet > — meaty, beaty, big and bouncy, this one grooves with a fantastic all-encompassing sound as everyone locks into sync during the spacey-jazzy jam. Psychedelic brilliance;
    • Drums > The Other One > — a primal, thumping (truncated) Drums segues into a thunderous and pounding, albeit short(ish) TOO (only one verse), though it still manages to bring the heat and intensity, before segueing bizarrely(?) into;
    • Good Lovin’ > — and it’s party time! A rip-roaringly fun and upbeat, exuberant rocker;
    • Terrapin Station > — beautiful harmonies, tight jamming, and a hugely thunderous outro—a real-solid, epic rendition. It’s hard to judge these ‘77 Terrapin(s) as they’re all so good. There’s tough competition in a year full of top-drawer versions;
    • Black Peter >“Run and see” this one! It’s sweet and heartfelt with a real bluesy, poignant solo and a lengthy, insane outro jam where Jerry just loses it and starts wailing and shredding hard. Superb. I think this is the one and only Terrapin > Black Peter(?);
    • Around And Around — rousing, smokin’-hot rock ‘n’ roll which just lifts and takes off for the stratosphere during the mid-song jam. Wow. F u c k i n’ crazy good.
    Whoa, what a 2nd set—another absolute banger from start to finish. All killer, no filler.

So, October ‘77 is absolute fire, isn’t it? Only a small matter of DeKalb to come …

I: Promised Land, Sugaree*, Cassidy, Loser, New Minglewood Blues, Friend Of The Devil, Sunrise, Dire Wolf, The Music Never Stopped*.

II: Scarlet Begonias** > Fire On The Mountain**, Estimated Prophet** > Drums* > The Other One* > Good Lovin’* > Terrapin Station* > Black Peter* > Around And Around*.

*on RT 1.2.
    **on RT 1.2. Bonus Disc.

— — —

In conclusion, this is one of my favourites in the Road Trips series. I love Fall ‘77.

Blue Note, Glenn coates, trd and 9 others like this.
  11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I think this Sugaree (I think from 10-16) has my favorite first solo of any Sugaree. After that, they just need to get through the rest without any mistakes and its place is assured, which they do.

adamos, Al Gator, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Arguably.

Al Gator, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

A good listen, as there are no weak versions of anything here. But every show involved could have held up to a full show release , which would have been better in the long run.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    Blue Note, shadowcurtain, trd and 7 others like this.
  14. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

Clickable Thread Guide

List of releases

By Release Date
    By Concert Date
    This week: 1973-11-09 San Francisco (released 2008-04-01 on Winterland 1973: The Complete Recordings)

Upcoming:
    • 1973-11-10 San Francisco (released 2008-04-01 on Winterland 1973: The Complete Recordings)
    • 1973-11-11 San Francisco (released 2008-04-01 on Winterland 1973: The Complete Recordings)
    • 1971-07-31 New Haven, 1971-08-23 Chicago (released 2008-06-09 on Road Trips 1.3)

trd, Skylab and frightwigwam like this.
  15. Al Gator

[​IMG]

Winterland 1973: The Complete Recordings (Part I)

Recording date: November 9, 1973
    Recording location: Winterland Arena, San Francisco, California
    Release date: April 1, 2008
    Recorded by: Bill Candelario

Disc 1
    First set:
    1. "Promised Land" (Chuck Berry) – 3:21
    2. "Brown-Eyed Woman" (Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter) – 5:08
    3. "Me and Bobby McGee" (Kris Kristofferson, Fred Foster) – 5:59
    4. "They Love Each Other" (Garcia, Hunter) - 5:42
    5. "Black-Throated Wind" (Bob Weir, John Perry Barlow) – 7:08
    6. "Don’t Ease Me In" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 4:37
    7. "Mexicali Blues" (Weir, Barlow) – 3:44
    8. "Row Jimmy" (Garcia, Hunter) – 9:03
    9. "The Race Is On" (Don Rollins) – 3:57
    10. "China Cat Sunflower" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 7:35
    11. "I Know You Rider" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 5:27
    Disc 2
    1. "Playing in the Band" (Weir, Mickey Hart, Hunter) – 20:53
    2. Second set: "Here Comes Sunshine" (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:52
    3. "Me and My Uncle" (John Phillips) – 3:44
    4. "To Lay Me Down" (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:11
    5. "Big River" (Johnny Cash) – 5:29
    6. "Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo" (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:30
    7. "Greatest Story Ever Told" > (Weir, Hunter) – 5:10
    8. "Bertha" (Garcia, Hunter) – 6:12
    Disc 3
    1. "Weather Report Suite" > (Weir, Eric Andersen, Barlow) – 15:38
    2. "Eyes of the World" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 16:43
    3. "China Doll" (Garcia, Hunter) – 5:57
    4. "Around and Around" > (Berry) – 5:05
    5. "Goin’ Down the Road Feeling Bad" > (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 8:01
    6. "Johnny B. Goode" (Berry) – 4:25
    After the success of the four-show Fillmore release, another box set was inevitable. It turned out to be a 3-show 1973 Winterland run, the only Winterland shows from the year. As with all the box sets we’ll discuss each show individually, starting with the November 9th concert.

A lively Promised Land gets things off to a good start. Brown-Eyed Women and Me and Bobby McGee have that patented fall ‘73 laid-back feel to them; if you’ve heard Dick’s Picks 14 you’ll be right at home here. They Love Each Other is magic with a killer Jerry solo while the rest of the band is incredibly tight - listen to Bob and Keith under the solo.

A very dynamic Black-Throated Wind is one of the set’s highlights, and even minor tracks like Don’t Ease Me In and Mexicali Blues have that little extra something. While it doesn’t go anywhere unusual, China>Rider is top-rate, particularly the transition jam. But the set centerpiece (even though it’s at the end) is a floaty Playing which meanders its way through jamming that feels dark at times; Keith and Phil’s contributions stand out here, as well as Billy’s turn-on-a-dime drumming. It’s an amazing way to end the set.

The version of Here Comes Sunshine that opens the second set is a good example of why I have a hard time picking favorites. It doesn’t have the over-the-top Jerry solos of the Dick’s Picks 1 version from a few weeks later, but it still delights with its wonderful group interplay. To Lay Me Down is gorgeous, and Big River is typically hot. Mississippi Half-Step is enjoyable but not groundbreaking, while Greatest Story>Bertha is an interesting choice in the middle of a second set, and one that doesn’t quite work for me.

The main event starts with Weather Report Suite. It’s a fine version, but the real fun here is the ending jam which seems to be going somewhere. Rather than transitioning, it almost stops and Eyes of the World starts up. Like the previous song it’s the ending that makes this one, with lots of tasty music. It goes into an exquisite China Doll to end the sequence. The show ends with a trio of rockers, two from Chuck Berry sandwiching Goin’ Down the Road Feeling Bad which develops a nice head of steam.

In the end it’s a fun show, but it never reaches the level of the best shows from the tour, largely because the second set doesn’t have a big jam. For me it’s the weakest show in the box, but it's still worth hearing and belongs in this box set.

16. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

I posted my thoughts about 11/9/73 in the Grateful Thread a few months back, but I’ll share them again here.

Tl;dr I like this show quite a bit better than @Al Gator.

trd, adamos, Crispy Rob and 9 others like this.
  17. Al Gator

To be clear, I do really like this show - by normal standards it would be awesome. But this is fall '73 Dead. And in this run/box set, each show is better than the previous one.

Archtop, Crazy Otto, Jimbobwe and 3 others like this.
  18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I think the PITB & HCS elevate it’s status. Top 5 of each, maybe top 2-3 Playing

19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I didn’t have much to say about this run, as I was gobsmacked by its awesomeness.

Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, 09/11/73.

If anyone needs me, I’ll mostly be spending the next three days hangin’ out at Winterland ‘73.

Not much to say other than this is an essential Dead release, and not to be missed. I mean, it’s 1973 Dead fer chrissakes, man! Superlative stuff.

This whole 3-night run is one ridiculously huge and blissfully jammy highlight that gets better and better night on night, though here in particular, they ignite and catch fire from China > Rider through the 2nd set.

I love the feel of this show—the playing is pretty tight and there’s an upbeat vibe, with Keith’s keys being a real standout. Blissful and heavenly.

I: Promised Land, Brown-Eyed Women, Me And Bobby McGee, They Love Each Other, Black-Throated Wind, Don’t Ease Me In, Mexicali Blues, Row Jimmy, The Race Is On, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Playing In The Band.

II: Here Comes Sunshine, Me And My Uncle, To Lay Me Down, Big River, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Greatest Story Ever Told > Bertha, Weather Report Suite > Eyes Of The World > China Doll, Around And Around > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad > Johnny B. Goode.

E: Uncle John’s Band*.

*not on official release.

20. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Personally, I like 11/9 better than 11/10. But, I agree that choosing favorites from this set is like picking out which nugget of gold you prefer.

21. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Could take hours.
    [​IMG]

mBen989, uncle AK, trd and 2 others like this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Regarding this fine release do the vaults have more complete material from all 3 shows? This is one of the Dick's Picks that if they do on vinyl one day I hope I can afford to buy it! Ideally a 24/96 flac would be great!

23. uncle AK

uncle AK Forum Resident

Oh wow.
    After reading all 110 pages so far, this is where I enter. Very late to comment on some of my favorite releases.
    As much as I love listening to complete concerts, I also enjoy the compilations like Steppin' Out, Ladies & Gentlemen etc. One of my big favorites is the 3CD Fillmore 1969. However, just as the big box set there are some patches and speed issues there, which I find very jarring at worst. Mostly because the patches feel being in different speed and out of sync. I don't mind the change of EQ (though it could be done better) if the music keeps flowing. In some soundboard recordings there are an audience source used as a patch and when done nicely it feels like going for a refreshing dive underwater for a while and coming back for some musical bliss.
    I appreciate there's been some info in this topic about the patches and speed issues, and also if the complete show is available elsewhere. I would like to do some needed fixes on the badly patched stuff before storing the shows on my HD.
    I want to thank everyone who's been discussing the releases in this topic. This is what I need internet for.

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Re the August '74 shows, yes, the full shows are in the vault (other than cuts at reel changes).

Flaming Torch likes this.
  25. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

see Legs, Lossless