Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. SteveD.

SteveD. Forum Resident

I hate it - everything they released should be the size of Winterland '73.
    I just bought a copy of the Complete Beatles Studio 2009 set, and I'm chucking that box, too - there's nothing in there but...CDs.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  2. SteveD.

SteveD. Forum Resident

Liked for the Miles Davis shelf.

3. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

PNW is a beautiful box, but it is insanely oversized. Only the real megaboxes should be that size - E72 and 30 Trips. I even think the two Spring 1990 boxes are larger than ideal, although one of them included a replica tour program which almost justifies it.

4. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

trumpet sounds and Al Gator like this.
  5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

My Dead listening is usually “on this day” so I have notes / “reviews” ready! This thread will be one massive undertaking. I’m in :righton:

Crispy Rob and Al Gator like this.
  6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Listening to Dijon from the 30 Trips box right now.

7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That Mind Left Body/Caution jam wasn't expected...

8. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

I was just taking stock, and somehow I don't have the View From The Vault CDs. I'll have to start searching before we get to those. Of course, @Daedalus and @Archtop are already on 30 Trips, so it's already anarchy!

Al Gator and Archtop like this.
  9. Archtop

It's funny, I was going to post something not so much about off-topic but sticking to the releases being discussed and it didn't even occur to me that I had already (not) done so. The only point I want to make is that a fair bit of commentary that I'll likely want to contribute relies on a compare and contrast from one version of a song to another. I just hope there isn't a highly rigid approach taken to only discussing the release in question (or those already discussed). I'd like to be able to at least refer to other versions from releases not yet discussed but only in the context of material from the release being discussed, if that makes any sense. I understand the need to avoid anarchy.

ARK, notesofachord, Woodville and 2 others like this.
  10. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

You'll need to take it up with Mr. Gator in this thread. I like anarchy. (Just not in the China>Rider tourney :whistle:)

Al Gator and Archtop like this.
  11. Al Gator

While I'd like to keep things reasonably on topic, it's fine to talk about other versions of the show(s) being discussed, and other verions of the songs from the release. In some cases it will be important to the discussion.

highway, ARK and Archtop like this.
  12. Archtop

Yes - and for context, here's the sort of issue that I can see commonly arising: One From the Vault is first up and since Slipknot! is my favorite post-hiatus composition (and I use the term loosely, as it's little more than a tonal center with a basic framework), it's likely that I'd have something to say about it. But as with most GoGD pieces, no one performance can explain what it's all about. What if there's some noteworthy similarity between the 8/13/75 Slipknot! and another version, say the next version they played on 9/28/75? Well, problem is, the 30 Trips box was released 24 years after OFTV, so we technically wouldn't be able to discuss it for another five years or something like that. It makes no sense for me to wait five+ years to make my point (assuming I'm still around) but nor will anyone remember when I type, five years from now "Remember when we were discussing OFTV? Well, now that we're discussing 30 Trips, the point I wanted to make was..."

I'd like to at least be able to mention the 9/28/75 version as part of the OFTV discussion as long as my point doesn't completely steer the discussion away from OFTV and into 30 Trips. So, we should at least scratch our heads about how to be flexible without inciting anarchy.

13. Al Gator

I look forward to discussions like this.

Woodville and Archtop like this.
  14. Archtop

Well sir, this should be a good ride. I was only expressing a concern based on how other threads of a similar nature (in concept, but not necessarily in scope or topic) have been "curtailed" here (perhaps for good reason). We need something of a wide berth with loose but concerted reigns.

That said, I may re-iterate information here that I've been sprinkling in the Grateful Thread for the past 6+ years since I see a number of new names expressing interest in this thread. To those who've read them before, please bear with me (I've only got so much to say). For those that haven't, I'm curious why you've not been in the Grateful Thread. It's something of an oasis of civility in the interwebby cesspool of fora.

tmiddle2, highway, Zafu and 2 others like this.
  15. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

I do not have all of these many sets...they are great...I have E72, Winterland, PNW 76....FW.....I think all of the Dicks Picks Daves Picks, Road Trips with Pigpen...and some bootleg box sets...GD 70 GD 71......but I started getting into the newer stuff.....I am a big PP fan....and my favorite dead stuff will always be with PP....but having never seen them with PP....and having seen about 20 shows since 74....I do enjoy the post PP shows and discs.....always love PP...but variety is the spice of life!!!! Especially with the GD!!!!!!!!!!

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

What a beautiful sight. Brings a tear to my eye.

We have problems... the best kind.

texron, aoxomoxoa, j4yheindeo and 3 others like this.
  17. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

Very impressive collection.....they are fantastic group......Not Fade Away.....they never will....special thoughts for Pigpen....he shines on so many of these....my dude!!!!!

18. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Very cool thread idea, Al. Looking forward to sticking with this one for the long haul!

sami and Al Gator like this.
  19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Since when has anything in Dead-land been strictly linear? Not the way this works. :D

ARK, Al Gator, Vic_1957 and 2 others like this.
  20. :wtf:

21. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

It would be an un-boxed set.

22. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

I like the Grateful Thread, but I'd love a more structured thread to discuss their releases, so count me in. I only have about 5% of the releases in physical format, but I have Spotify at my disposal and since I have been stuck behind my laptop for the past year, one show a week is totally doable.

I see this as a great opportunity to revisit some shows and discover some new ones.

23. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I am having trouble identifying the orange box at front left and the bluish box second from front on right side (in front of the '90. I know one of them is the June, 76 (the first box I bought as download). And missing (as someone pointed out, Fillmore West) the 73 and 77 Winterlands.

highway and Al Gator like this.
  24. Archtop

The orange box on the left is the June '76 box and the bluish one on the right is Giant's Stadium '87/'89/'91. We should get around to discussing those in ~2025. :nyah:

25. johnlightning

johnlightning Forum Resident

Gee, thanks a lot pal! Now, I'll have to live at least another decade or two just to keep up with this thread.

And by the way, One From The Vault (originally heard live as it was broadcast locally on WNEW FM, (back when there was a WNEW FM and the station mattered), remains a favorite. I'm not sure they ever played so PERFECTLY ever again. I guess the layoff and time spent in the woodshed, getting things as close to exactly perfect as possible, did pay off. One of those releases that MUST be in the possession of every Deadie... and my peak dead watching years were from 1969 thru 1972, so I am a tad prejudiced towards any releases from that period, but I've never stopped listening, and enjoying.

I look forward to the comments, and contributing. Thanks for starting yet another thread I'm likely to spend too much 'spare' time engaging with!