Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

5-15-70 is also very similar in structure.

EDIT: For that matter, the Star from 2-14-70 (early) is also very similar in structure. It's interesting that they played that song in two consecutive sets like that.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Also 2/2/70

Archtop, Crispy Rob and uzn007 like this.
  3. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

"The Grateful Goddamn Dead!"

I always get a kick out of Zacherle's introduction. He evidently hosted a horror movies show on late night TV in New York, and the crowd obviously loves that he's turned up. When he tells them that he'd planned to come down the aisle in a casket, but the damn thing broke down, Bob thinks he'll be a wiseass, and maybe step on the old man's toes, and chimes in, "Anyway, it wasn't a casket, it was a banana crate." And then you can practically see Zacherle raise an eyebrow and wave him off, as he simply remarks, "Haha! My boy."

"Casey Jones" was, of course, one of their most famous songs, probably an FM-radio "hit" of the day, and I'm sure that the audiences always loved to hear it. But was there ever really a great performance of it? IDK. I'd probably enjoy it more if they had turned it into an acoustic folkie singalong. But, it's OK.

The late '70s "Disco Dancin'" is funky; it swings, it has a unique style, panache. Their performances of "Dancing in the Streets" in this period sound like an amateur imitation of the Martha & The Vandellas record, almost a parody, but the attached jam here kind of saves it. But the regular body of the song makes me cringe a little.

"China>Rider" is fine, but still in the awkward phase when they were still just breaking in the Americana material. They would get a lot better at it.

"High Time" and "Dire Wolf" -- now we're getting somewhere. It's a pity that the Powers That Be couldn't put more of the acoustic sets on here.

"Dark Star" -- something about the guitar tones takes me out of the zone. Piercing, harsh. I want to float off in my bubble, and those tones take a pin to it. I also wish that Dick/Jeffrey had cut the tape before the transition into "The Other One." Every time it cuts off after the intro is just a reminder that there is an artificial break in what had been a continuous piece of music.

The guitar tones don't bother me as much in "The Other One," but I could do without the long drums feature. Offhand, I can't recall, was this where that started? I noticed while listening to the Allman Bros set yesterday that their performance of "Mountain Jam" from 2/14 also had a long-ass drums feature; I'm guessing that they did something similar on the prior nights, and Mickey and Billy probably took it as a personal challenge. Alas.

After an hour of "Dark Star>The Other One," I'm ready for a decompression--the ballad that they eventually learned to put in to ease out of the jam. A cushion for the landing. I'm never really in the mood for another half-hour of "Lovelight." Sorry. As usual, they kind of run out of steam after 15 minutes here, but sort of fumble around for awhile, anyway, until they eventually pick up the riff again and Bobby & Pig do their Sam & Dave routine. Which is cool. The "shine on me!" bit is usually my favorite part, but they could've started it about 10 minutes earlier.

After 90 minutes of jamming, now, getting the jammy heart of the 2/14 late show on Disc 3 is kind of like someone bringing another stack of pancakes after you've already had two plates. I also prefer my "Alligator" without 12 damn minutes of "Drumz" that empties out in "Me and My Uncle." The "Not Fade Away" is OK, but also something they would do a lot better, later. And I think there's a good reason why they dropped "Mason's Children" without ever recording it for an album. I really would rather have "Alligator" go straight into "Caution>Feedback>Goodnight."

If it sounds like this isn't really one of my favorites, well. This weekend I'm also listening to some other 1970 Fillmore East shows: Jimi, Miles, Neil Young, The Allmans, Derek & The Dominos... we'll see if I can find some Santana. If I could set the time machine for one of those dates, I'd have to go see Miles and Neil--and find out whether Steve Miller deserved Miles' scorn. Of course I'd like to see Band of Gypsys, and Clapton really brought his best at the Fillmore East later that year, too. But if I could pick just one 1970 Fillmore East date with the Dead, I'd choose May 15 without a second thought. I'm not sure why the February dates, and this Pick, get so much hype.

Willowman, robcar, Spazros and 12 others like this.
  4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Fillmore East a year later (Ladies and Gentlemen) and, really, most '71 & '72 versions have a thrilling finale.

5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

To each his/her/their own, but this is one of my favorite Dead sequences ever. One of the few vintage tapes I had, so it's woven into my consciousness. Wouldn't change a thing. Especially Mason's > Caution. That blew me away, and still does.

Was also the first real Caution I ever heard. Such a showstopper of the era, I'll never understand the castrated Anthem version, all but stripped of Phil's defining bassline.

ARK, Doggiedogma, adamos and 7 others like this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

And this one has the ultimate heavy riff ending - just mind-blowing

Plus I *know* Mason’s Children is a great song as my wife is a “song” person and it’s among her favorite Dead songs. This was the first version I knew she I think it smokes as do all the versions they played from December 1969 through February 1970.

We almost even named our male kitten Mason / but we did name his sister “Althea”:)

Our boy kitten’s given name was Graham, so we added an “e” for what should be an obvious reason we love Phil’s son no matter what some people think - as it was apt name as he’s white and gold. Like golden graham.

anth67, ARK, Doggiedogma and 7 others like this.
  7. frightwigwam

I'd challenge anyone to actually sing it! The Dead themselves sound like they barely know the words, and are still working out their harmony parts. Well, as the Purveyor of Hogwash said, to each their own, but it seems clear to me why the band decided rather quickly that the song wasn't worth their bother.

The "Caution" itself is fine, and the "Feedback" ending is cool as always, although I'd rather be listening to performances from '68-69 or '72.

Doggiedogma, superstar19 and Al Gator like this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

DiP 4 has my favorite version of Casey Jones. The drummers are locked in to the rhythm, each man playing their part of the eight-limbed beat (replete with cowbell!). Bear’s mix is perfect and open, letting the music breathe. The guitarists are locked in yet loose. The vibe is magical.

ARK, Dignan2000, budwhite and 11 others like this.
  9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Hey, does the Angel's Share stuff count as archival? I think so. I got this a while ago, but just found I'd only listened to the first half of the American Beauty installment, which I'm psyched about because I'm listening to the second half for the first time now.

Al Gator likes this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

4-5 shows a week is about the max for me. I probably average about 2-3 but it varies a bit week to week. I am behind on this thread because I was traveling and visiting my mother in law for the past 10 days, but will catch up on DiPs 3 and 4 soon.

11. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

They're certainly archival, but I don't plan to cover them in this thread as this is for the live CD archival releases. Maybe after we're done we can circle back to them (and the LP/download-only ones, although somebody else will need to take the helm for those). I'm not sure how to handle releases like the 1966 Oddities and Birth of the Dead, as they're a mixture of studio and live; I'll probably address whatever's on them.

I need to pick up those Angel's Share releases, I'm sure I'd enjoy them.

superstar19, Archtop and wavethatflag like this.
  12. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

I wish I had purchased Dick's Picks 4 when it originally was released, I was more interested in the 71-77 era at the time and passed on it. About 15years ago I started filling in the holes of the Dick's picks I missed out on. The regret that I felt once I finally was able to hear this gem......

Casey Jones is hot....
    Dire Wolf is smokin'...
    Dark Star and The Other One>LoveLight are sublime
    Caution>Feedback>Goodnight are awesome

This is a 5 Star release.....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    ARK, Dignan2000, Spazros and 6 others like this.
  13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Yes indeed. At first, I thought you'd contracted bzfgt syndrome and were referring to the officially released version from 1/02/70. But, to be fair, the version from 1/02 is also in this category.

Based on the photos you've posted, your collection is clearly lacking in quantity. :nyah:

Dahabenzapple and Al Gator like this.
  14. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

The full shows of these dates are now the way to go but Dick’s Picks 4 remains a stone cold classic. The big sequences from each night are incredible and the blissful surges in the 2/13/70 Dark Star are just glorious. Zacherle provides of one of the best non-Bill Graham introductions and this one just has that extra something special. Not only for the music but also because the early archival releases remain hallowed ground due to their impact at the time and the fond memories interwoven with them.

ARK, Crispy Rob, Doggiedogma and 10 others like this.
  15. Sea Kayaker

Sea Kayaker Forum Resident

Audacity helps fuse that Dark Star>Other One transition. What were they thinking, trying to replicate the Live/Dead album flip on CD? Even so, this is probably my favorite Dead release.

16. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

Here's what I said about the 1970/02/13 Late Show over in the main GD thread:

It really is one of my favourite shows, with 1970/02/14's shows right behind them.

It's great that they've been melded together into a solid DP release, which I love, but I do hope that one day the powers that ben go back and look at the shows which have had only partial official releases and decide to fill in the gaps.

ARK, Crispy Rob, Doggiedogma and 6 others like this.
  17. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Dick's Picks Volume 4 - Fillmore East 2/13-14/70

Lots of great comments on this. I'll just add that when I got this I had awareness that these were highly regarded shows but wasn't at a point in tape trading that I had copies. Dancin' is great, not quite reaching the highs of my fave (more to come on that one in a few weeks). Love how Rider ends and flows into the opening chords of High Time. Dark Star is another all time fave and maybe that's because it was one of the first ones I heard. I love the Winter/Spring '70 era Cryptical/TOOs. These are the last of the purely primal TOOs before they start to take on the more spacey journey that would peak in E72. Lovelight is probably the lowlight of the set, but even saying that I find this listenable and not one I skip when playing this set. Then CD3. BOOM! What a killer stretch of music. Had this going yesterday while I was working in the garage and yard, and I had to keep turning it up once this portion started. Man, to have been at these shows!

Unlike the previous pick which I'm okay with not being a complete show release, this is one that I hope one day (hopefully soon!) gets the full show/box treatment. But having said that, Dick certainly did a fantastic job packing this with the choice cuts.

ARK, SJR, Crispy Rob and 7 others like this.
  18. Gollum

Gollum Forum Resident

The first 9 minutes of this Dark Star is one of my favorite passages in all music. It's what I used to play for people to turn them onto the Dead (I've long since given up that thankless task). How are people not moved by this music? Jerry's playing is so lyrical and eloquent, maybe unsurpassed. Bobby is so tuned in. His strumming around 4:46 is one of my favorite Bobby moments. Phil is at the top of his game. How does he sound so aggressive and quiet at the same time? I've been listening to this Dark Star for 35 years and it just seems to get weirder and more amazing as the years pass...

ARK, jay.dee, Spazros and 10 others like this.
  19. cvila

cvila Senior Member

Grail release and a favorite.
    There are a surprising few number of shnid's for sbds of these dates.
    I don't want to tell tales out of school but I know its common knowledge
    the Vaults tapes were different than the 'broom closet' tapes (used for the patches).
    Who here had which BITD?

Al Gator and The MEZ like this.
  20. Paul Remesic

Paul Remesic Forum Resident

Is there any FE crew tapes for the 2/14/70 early show? Would love if there was a patch for the brutal St. Stephen > The Eleven cut.

frightwigwam likes this.
  21. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Workingman's Dead wasn't even out yet, and according to Wikipedia, it was still being recorded in February of 1970, so anyone who knew this song must have heard it in concert already (or on a tape).

ARK likes this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I started collecting Dead tapes a few years before that DP came out and got an excellent copy of 2/13, and (as I recall) a higher generation but still listenable copy of 2/14. Shortly before that I heard the Not Fade Away/Mason's/Caution/Goodnight from 2/14 on the Grateful Dead Hour.

I'd guess there are relatively few shnids for those shows because of the DP.

cvila, ARK and superstar19 like this.
  23. frightwigwam

I know, I was just speaking generally about its place in the canon and the culture, when the record came out and in the decades since. My impressions while listening now. It must be one of their more famous songs, and welcomed at any show, but to me it never seems to be more than serviceable in concert. I may be forgetting some hot exceptions in '71-72, but I can't recall listening to a "Casey Jones" performance and thinking, "Wow! Amazing. That really was just about off the rails...." I think it really does want to be a folkie singalong, with a roomful of people singing/shouting, "Driving that train, high on cocaine...." You'd think that would have appealed to the band's sense of humor, too. Alas.

superstar19 and Dahabenzapple like this.
  24. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Dick's Picks 4 - Fillmore East 2/13-14/1970

I played this one a lot as well at the time, Zacherle's band intro gets me excited every time!

I was very stoked when it came out, smokin' psychedelic rock-n-soul! The only part that was a bit of drag was the 12min Drums.
    Disc 1 - Casey Jones -
    tight, Dancin' - ok but I like the disco 77 versions, China>Rider -hot, High Time > Dire Wolf - terrific, Dark Star - A+

Disc 2 - TOO - smokin', Lovelight - 1st half is top-notch then bogs down til end.

Disc 3 - Alligator - always strong, Drums - skip, Me & My Uncle - standard fare
    NFA - my fav, Masons - standard, Caution - always exciting, Feedback - pretty meh
    We Bid You Goodnight - goodnight!

Disc 1 always gets play from me, the others not as much. Still, a required set of Dead music. 4.3/5

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    ARK, budwhite, Spazros and 11 others like this.
  25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Cool find on that photo!

Doggiedogma likes this.