Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Dick’s Picks 10: The Wolf’s in Winterland and all is right in the world. Good Jack Straw opener, pretty TLEO. Nice edgy solo on Loser. Sugaree feels a little quicker paced and has a somewhat different vibe than the classic versions in the Spring but it’s really good and the second solo is a beast.

The whole second set is pretty awesome. The Close Encounters tease before Bertha is cool and the Bertha itself is hot. PITB is good post-hiatus version and the aforementioned mini Wheel jam makes it special. The return of China > Rider is a big moment and China Doll is both beautiful and powerful. And after all that and more they give the people a Terrapin encore. Really good bonus sequence from 12/30/77 too. Great Pick.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  2. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

Definitively among the "strongest 3 in a row" contender, has been mine for a long time.
    One more could be: 3-4-5.
    But let me tell you about my strongest "4 in a row" contender (basically can serve also as 3 in a row :p) : 28-29-30-31. Now top that if you can! :D

Blah blah blah, talking gibberish... any way you put it, at least half of the DiPs are absolutely essential.

uzn007, SteveFff, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  3. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

OK, on to the:

Dick's Picks Vol. 10: Winterland, San Francisco, CA, 12/29/77

This was the third 1977 release that I've heard (following DP3 and Cornell 5/8/1977), and I can never forget hearing this for the first time. I was expecting to hear something regular after suck two great 77 shows. But not! I was simply blown away AGAIN. In fact I think this release is rather underrated when compared to other releases from this era. This one should be talked about more often!

Jack Straw starts a bit lazy but as soon as the first verse finishes, Jerry simply goes berserk and transforms this rendition into an atomic spectacle! Energy goes through the roof and Jerry shoots those soaring "chord" solos like only he knows. Energy drops a bit during following two numbers and if there is a weaker part of this show, than it is here during TLEO and Mamma Tried. But things get remedied very soon and by the time we get to the soaring Jerry solo in the Loser, energy is back at the highest level. LLR is great and Jerry is on. The energy builds up through Tennessee Jed and both Jed outro solo and following New Minglewood Blues totally burn! Soaring Sugaree is one more classic rendition, if not up to the very best ones ... But you know, as with all things GD, this is relative and subjective. When I'm in the mood and listening this show, and while Sugaree plays, in that moment that IS the best Sugaree for me. See what I am sayin' ? :)

Bertha>Good Lovin': these were the first 77 versions of the two that I heard and I can still remember how I had my face melted. Especially Bertha – OMG what high energy plying by Jerry and what counterpoint bombs by Phil & the band! It just does not get any much better than this. And a perfect > transition into Good Lovin'. PITB is totally in the zone, and what further enhances it is the smooth transitions to surprise comeback of China > Rider. You could cut the positive vibes with the knife listening to this. Than comes what may be the favourite part of the show: one of the most poignant and bone chilling China Doll you will ever hear. Jerry's solo is perfect. Whole performance is perfect. And it perfectly transitions back into PITB jam, which finally, after drum solo, transforms into relieving NFA to lighten up the tension. I am not the biggest fan of long post hiatus NFA's and often find myself wanting them to be a bit shorter. Anyway after rocking NFA they veer back effortlessly into PITB than opened the sequence some 50 minutes earlier. An epic sequence.

I need to mention Keith and how he is prominently participating in this PITB jams with his atmospheric contributions – it is just marvelous. How about a high energy Terrapin Station for an encore? I could live without J.B. Goode but it is a crowd pleaser back in a day and an effective closer.

All in all, what a playlist and what a party! Maybe I am too partial to this release, being that many of selections were the first ones 77' renditions I've heard (being that DP3 and Cornell both have totally different setlists), and some still hold as my favorites.

Oh yeah – and the bonus material from 12/30 is on the same level, if not even better!

Overall rating: 4.6/5 (just because I didn't have heart to give it higher rating than DP3)

Essential.

4. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

If Englishtown used the right tapes then 14, 15 & 16

5. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

Clickable thread guide

List of releases

By Release Date
    By Concert Date

sami, Skylab, superstar19 and 2 others like this.
  6. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Aside from Springsteen, what other bands/singers were supposed to put on a spectacular live show in 1977-78? Anybody better than the Dead?

I've listened to a lot of live recordings of popular acts from the period, particularly since we were on DiP 3. Some Deadheads complain that the Dead lost their sense of adventure after the hiatus, but I still haven't found any artists who really stack up against them in this era. Santana brought the jams and could take the audience on a journey, although his sets didn't change so much from night to night, and songwriting never was Carlos' strong suit. The Boss had good songs, a sense of drama, and brought an intense energy to the stage, but his music wasn't all that varied or complex. The E Street Band made a great big din, but as musicians, they were no match for the Dead. I guess you could say the same for some of the best punk/new wave bands of the day, too. Talking Heads wouldn't hit their peak for another year. Most popular acts just played rough, sloppy versions of their hits. Led Zeppelin were sloppy and dull--although I kind of like the "Drums>Space" section of their '77 Cleveland shows. IDK, maybe I need to track down some P-Funk shows and find out how they fare minus the visual spectacle. As it stands, I think the late '70s Dead still were the best thing going on stage.

I imagine that some Deadheads in the '90s were disappointed that DiP 10 wasn't Barton Hall or Colgate, or San Bernardino, or Binghamton, Buffalo, Boston, or whatever. It seems to be another case of Dick trying to shed light on a show hidden in the shadows. Not the best show of '77, no, but they have a great energy, great songs, and there is a lot of variety and musical complexity to hold your interest through repeat listens. While you're in the area, the next night is worth your time, as well.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    notesofachord, sami, budwhite and 9 others like this.
  7. Al Gator

[​IMG]

Dick's Picks Volume 11

Recording date: September 27, 1972
    Recording location: Stanley Theater, Jersey City, New Jersey
    Release date: June 9, 1998
    Recorded by: Owsley Stanley, Bob Matthews

Disc 1
    First set
    1. “Morning Dew” (Bonnie Dobson, Tim Rose) – 12:38
    2. “Beat It on Down the Line” (Jesse Fuller) – 3:34
    3. "Friend of the Devil" (Jerry Garcia, John Dawson, Hunter) – 4:06
    4. “Black-Throated Wind” (John Barlow, Bob Weir) – 6:52
    5. “Tennessee Jed” (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:08
    6. "Mexicali Blues" (Barlow, Weir) – 3:39
    7. “Bird Song” (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:46
    8. “Big River” (Johnny Cash) – 4:51
    9. “Brokedown Palace” (Garcia, Hunter) – 5:59
    10. “El Paso” (Marty Robbins) – 4:42
    Disc 2
    1. “China Cat Sunflower” (Garcia, Hunter) – 7:25 ->
    2. “I Know You Rider” (traditional) – 5:26
    3. “Playing in the Band” (Mickey Hart, Hunter, Weir) – 16:14
    4. Second set: “He's Gone” (Garcia, Hunter) – 13:30
    5. “Me & My Uncle” (John Phillips) – 3:38
    6. “Deal” (Garcia, Hunter) – 4:51
    7. “Greatest Story Ever Told” (Hart, Hunter, Weir) – 5:29
    8. “Ramble on Rose” (Garcia, Hunter) – 6:28
    Disc 3
    1. “Dark Star” (Grateful Dead, Hunter) – 30:49 ->
    2. “Cumberland Blues” (Garcia, Hunter, Lesh) – 6:55
    3. “Attics of My Life” (Garcia, Hunter) – 5:11
    4. “Promised Land” (Chuck Berry) – 3:04
    5. “Uncle John's Band” (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:43
    6. “Casey Jones” (Garcia, Hunter) – 7:29
    7. Encore: “Around and Around” (Berry) – 5:18
    The eleventh Dick’s Pick is from the fall of 1972, the second of three nights in Jersey City. It’s an expansive concert, three hours long and loaded with classic Dead music.

In an unusual move, the opening track is Morning Dew (we’ll get another show-opening Dew in just a couple of releases). It starts quietly and builds just like you’d hope; it doesn’t sound like a warm-up and pulls the listener in right from the beginning. From there on it’s the standard alternation of Jerry and Bob tunes. There are plenty of enjoyable songs here - a fast Friend of the Devil and a strong Black-Throated Wind are just two of many highlights. But beyond that Dew, the band opens up several times - one of the year’s best Bird Songs is hiding in the middle of the set. Bob’s playing some odd notes in China Cat Sunflower, but an unhurried transition into a lively I Know You Rider gives the pairing its usual quality. Playing In The Band is a beautiful version that floats along the listener's consciousness; Jerry’s playing his typically-inventive leads but Bob’s doing a lot of really interesting, angular stuff at times. This is a superb and generous first set and sets the tone for what’s to come.

Set 2 starts with a wonderful He’s Gone, full of exquisite harmonies. The short songs that follow are full of life; Deal is short but very sweet. A glorious 30-minute Dark Star is the centerpiece of the show, containing everything from driving jams to a quiet guitar-and-bass section; it’s near the end before we hear the first verse and the second never appears. We finally come back to earth in a scorching Cumberland Blues, a totally unexpected pairing. Attics Of My Life sets a very delicate mood before Promised Land shatters it. The band has enough energy for a solid Uncle John's Band and a couple of final rockers.

Sound quality is a little thin - far from bad, but not as good as many of the golden era tapes. The CD insert has a little more to it this time, including some amusing concert notes by Paul Grushkin.

This is a superb show, and belongs in any serious Grateful Dead collection. (But that could be said of many shows from this tour…)

8. Al Gator

Forgot to put this in the thread guide and it's too late to edit:

This week: 1972-09-27 Jersey City (released 1998-06-09 on Dick's Picks 11)
    Next week: 1974-06-26 Providence, 1974-06-28 Boston (released 1998-10-15 on Dick's Picks 12)

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Bill Graham: "They aren't the best at what they do, they're the only ones who do what they do."

For my taste Zappa was the main alternative for large scale improvisational rock tours in that era. Springsteen was undoubtedly at the top for straight ahead rock. In prog Genesis and Jethro Tull did some great tours then and I guess Yes were going strong with Wakeman back. Bowie in 1978. Dylan, if you like the style he had then. Neil Young.

Crispy Rob, adamos and frightwigwam like this.
  10. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

I might like Fall 72 even more than spring. But, that's neither here nor there. It's all so wonderful. This is another classic 72 show and a top tier DP selection. Of course, this week also gave us a GOAT candidate which we will cover in a few months from now when we get to 36.

Not a C>R that I'd call an all-timer, certainly not at the level of Veneta's or Spectrum's, Fox, or a handful of Europe's. Bird Song and Attics stand outs. A great Dark Star, too. I'm actually headed to Jersey City tonight to watch my son play basketball, so this timing is perfect. Here are few pics of how beautifully restored the Stanley Theatre was:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The main thing I remember from this show is "Dark Star," an unusual one for the time with nearly all of the action prior to the first verse. After the verse they sound unsure about what to do and then Phil finds an exit ramp to "Cumberland."

uzn007, Erik B., Crispy Rob and 7 others like this.
  12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Here’s my take, previously posted in The Grateful Thread

Another incredible show from that superb September 1972 run, and up there as one of the all-timers; Dick’s Picks #11 — Stanley Theatre, Jersey City, NJ, 27/09/72.

This one is packed full of highlights and favourites. Though I’ve only made some brief notes below, the whole show is definitely worth a listen . . .

1st Set:
    • Morning Dew — wow, a unique show-opener! You surely know you’re in for a good time when this is the first song they play;
    • Friend Of The Devil — a swingin’, up-tempo version with Jerry in superlative form;
    • Bird Song — another stellar ‘72 version, this is prime melodic, bouncy goodness with intricate jamming;
    • Brokedown Palace — an emotionally stunning all-timer version. Absolutely breathtaking;
    • China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider — this sounds different, almost like they’re trying to ruin it and comes across a bit sloppy at times, but a rollicking I Know You Rider makes up for it.
    2nd Set:
    • He’s Gone — gorgeously tender, mellow version. I may have said before, I love this song. Oh, that solo :love:;
    • Dark Star > Cumberland Blues — (what the?!) a rarity, surely? A massive, mind-meltingly jazzy Dark Star with an utterly awe-inspiring, insane transition into a galloping Cumberland Blues, which hurtles along at the speed of light. The show highlight;
    • Attics Of My Life — a beautiful, harmonious all-time favourite “live” version;
    • Uncle John’s Band — there’s some rippin’, outstanding jamming on this one.
    Throughout the show, it sounds like the Dead were having an absolute blast here. Loved it.

13. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

By the time this came out, I had acquired a few tapes from '77 (2/26, 5/8, and 9/3 for example). I was excited for this show and it does not disappoint. The band comes roaring out of the gate with a smoking first set. Jack Straw, Loser, Tennessee Jed, and Sugaree are just great.

Set II kicks off with a sweet Bertha -> Good Lovin' before dropping into a solid Playin' in the Band. Things get delightfully weird, the band seems to be wrapping things up at which point Jerry breaks into China Cat Sunflower - perfectly paired with Keith's pinging on the keys. The description in the liner notes about this moment are awesome. The first China>Rider in 3+ years is great. The band seems to be on the verge of finishing Rider, instead they transition into a fine China Doll. The band makes an unexpected trip back to the PITB theme and a brief Drumz before a hot NFA and then closing things out with the final chapter of PITB. Disc 2 is just exactly perfect.

Disc 3: Terrapin for an encore is fantastic. JBG - it's fine.

The filler from the next evening is outstanding and a great way to round out this release.

Perhaps it was the timing of this release - perhaps it was the quality of this release - it simply remains one of my favorite Vault releases to date.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  14. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Dick’s Picks 11 – 9/27/72

As usual, I was surprised when this came out; I figured that whenever Dick got around to picking a ’72 show, it would have been something from the justifiably famous Europe tour, or maybe Veneta. Not that I really minded – I’d already heard enough to know that almost anything from that year was going to be at least very good, and Dick had more than earned my trust over the previous ten picks. So yeah…Dick wins again.

Notes & Highlights:
    • I like the mix on this (don't really find it thin), everyone is exactly loud enough and sitting in the right place. Would be nice to hear more of the crowd, but that’s a minor quibble.
    • This is an unusual show in that outside of the Dark Star > Cumberland, it consists primarily of standalone tunes and lacks any wild multi-song sequences. It’s still a great setlist that ably showcases just about every style they played in ’72 (besides Pigpen songs :mad:) and everything is so well-performed that I don’t really miss that aspect.
    • I love ’72 Keith, and he nails every different style they hit throughout the show. He’s especially active and effective with his trilling, which he turns to more often than I remember noticing in other shows.
    • A Dew opener often signals that something special is afoot and that’s true here too. Other first set highlights include a perfect electric FOTD, a swinging Tennessee Jed, a typically transcendent Birdsong and a not-too-long but still well explored and getting-towards-‘73 Playin’. The China Cat is probably the lone sub-par number, with Bob pushing his strings off the frets a little too often. Great Rider, though.
    • Despite the brief equipment issues, the standalone He’s Gone (haven’t heard too many of them, come to think of it) that opens the second set is a stunner. Early Deals always have just the right loping pace and a perfect amount of twang that just fits the song like a glove. They’re almost always great, and this one is no exception; Keith’s barrel-house piano really elevates it and provides ideal accompaniment.
    • Dark Star enters some really nice jazzy territory and hints at a Spanish Jam on its way into a spacier section. After the verse and a few more minutes of jamming, Phil leads a surprisingly seamless transition into a barreling Cumberland; I love the juxtaposition of pairing Dark Star with a country tune, and if I’m not mistaken, it’s the only time they did it with this song.
    • Attics is the perfect comedown after a jackrabbit cowboy (ok, miner) number. It’s such a beautiful song and I wish they’d played it more often, but that makes great performances like this one all the more special.
    • Promised Land is the rare Chuck Berry cover that I never skip and this one takes off like a rocket ship. Normally I’d have preferred it if they had called it a night with a rollicking Casey Jones (see previous sentence), but the version of Around and Around that wraps things up rocks – unlike nearly every other version I can remember hearing, it’s got a nice jump to it and really swings.
    Dick knocked it out of the park off a curveball-ish pick yet again. This show probably falls just outside of my top five ’72 shows (which gives you an indication of how strong a year it is), but it showcases the band playing a wide variety of material in peak form. Essential listening for sure.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

One of the Compendium interviews (Jeffrey Norman, I think) mentions that in the original 9/27/72 tape the vocals, especially Weir, were too far out front in the mix so they had to use some techniques to make it an easier listen.

16. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

I’ve always felt that 9-27-72 is one of Bobby’s finest nights. His rhythm guitar is very upbeat and sprightly throughout the entire show. He also has basically a solo in the Dark Star for a few minutes really driving part of the jam.

17. jblock

jblock Senior Member

DP11 is one of the top releases by the Dead for me. The Bird Song is my favorite performance in the entire Dead canon.

18. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

DiP 10: the first GD album I bought, and for whatever reason isn't hasn't clicked as much for me as others have. I prefer the 12/30 bonus material. I do like '77.

DiP 11: the other officially released 9/72 shows have wowed me a little more. I really need to get to know this one better.

SJR, trd and Al Gator like this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

But what was happening with his guitar during China Cat?

Al Gator and bzfgt like this.
  20. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

I always felt like he was trying to be adventurous and do something different at that moment during the intro even though it didn't totally work out.

Al Gator likes this.
  21. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

I cannot say enough good things about DP11. My favorite "He's Gone" and the electric FOTD is how I like that song. Upbeat and moving. Great PITB and I really dig the Dark Star into Cumberland. Keith is standing out to me more than usual in this one and this is a STRONG Bobby performance. I think I have listened to this more than all the releases we have discussed so far and I don't see that changing much. JUICY

sami, Gollum, Al Gator and 7 others like this.
  22. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Sure, this is a clear and obvious screw-up, but overall it's still a great night for him.

Al Gator likes this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Playing catch-up as seems to be my usual modus operandi.

Fillmore East 2-11-69

Nice sounding recording for the era. It took me at least a year or two to pick this up after release, for some reason. The first disc is solid, Pigpen heavy fun, but nothing too earth-shattering, as the one-hour opening band slot reigned the band in a bit. Although focused playing in any era is always welcome in my book. Disc 2 (the late show) is much more exciting. Although the Fillmore West run later that month featured even better versions, this Dark Star is an interesting and excellent pre-cursor. As for the Hey Jude encore, it isn't great by any kind of measure, but it is good-natured fun, and doesn't make me cringe. One of those things that would have been more fun to catch live than to hear on tape decades later, but it's a nice rarity to have (along with 3/1/69, which I've known for ages as I got a great sounding tape off of that late night Friday a.m. NYC Dead show back in '87).

Dick's Picks 10: 12/29/77

I'd had this show, or at least the second set, on tape for years before this one came out, as it circulated pretty wildly, and was excited for the sound quality upgrade when this was released. I've played this one a lot over the years. A very strong first set, except for a sloppy Mama Tried and a slow version of They Love Each Other that doesn't quite catch fire. Everything after Mama Tried is scorching.

The second set is a monster. Very nice Bertha>Good Lovin' couplet to start things off. Then the Playin' medley begins and we get the real goodies. The return of China Cat>Rider maybe isn't just exactly perfect but has off the charts energy, and I love Keith's unique playing during the very beginning (and he plays great throughout this version). This might be my favorite China Doll I've heard, Garcia's singing and tone during the solo are sublime. A typically strong, raging NFA and huge Reprise closer. I got chills at the end thinking about what it must have been like to have taken the ride through that set live in the audience. Excellent Terrapin to start the encore, and Johnny B. Goode sends things out on a rockin' note as usual.

If released now, I would have preferred to have gotten the full show of 12/29/77 (It Must Have Been the Roses and Sunrise were cut from Set II), and to have a separate release of 12/30/77 (or a box of the run), but honestly, I don't know the rest of 12/30/77 well, and the filler here is far more exciting than the missing shows from 12/29, and makes for a better listen (and also fits in with Dick's approach at the time). All killer, even the filler. Great playing throughout this sequence, which I don't think I've listened to often enough, compared to the 12/29 portion.

I love both the Travis Beam Spring '77 sound and the late '77 Wolf sound, but do have to say the Wolf sounds great here, and gives the shows a very different character, along with changes in the bands approach. (Looser, more rockin', and a bit more exploratory). I like my GD both when they are tight as a Swiss watch (and presumably lubricated with something originally of Swiss origin as well), and when they are in full gonzo mode, so I really can't pick between the two sounds. Glad to have 'em both!

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I'd say it didn't stand out for me because he was great nearly every night in those days. Same with the others.

Al Gator likes this.
  25. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I 'researched' this. Its about 23 minutes from the beginning of the song and the first verse, the longest ever pre-vocal excursion.

Edit. Looks like 12/6/73 runs a bit longer.