Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I'm as big a supporter of the 80s and the Brent years as anyone on this board, but it's always been a mystery to me why Dick released so many "highlights" releases from the pre-Brent years and so many complete shows from the Brent years.

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yes, very odd. My guess is that he simply didn’t play ‘80s shows enough to know which ones to compile into a multi-show highlights package. Therefore, if he knew of a single show with a great segment in it, he would just put the whole show out.

ARK, sami, Al Gator and 5 others like this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I'd guess he did some highlight releases from the pre-Brent years because a lot of pre-Brent shows had cuts and mix problems in some of the songs, and he wasn't able to release complete shows in the first few volumes. As to why he didn't do the highlights approach that could have arguably improved DP6 and DP13, not sure.

frightwigwam, Al Gator, trd and 2 others like this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

No point, it runs slow anyway and the circulating version is better

sami, Crazy Otto and uzn007 like this.
  5. uzn007

Finally, closure! :tiphat:

Spazros, Phoenician and bzfgt like this.
  6. uzn007

That's not a bad guess.

ARK and Phoenician like this.
  7. uzn007

Right? How about a highlight release of 10-14 and 10-15-83? Take the beginning of Set 2 of the 14th (Disc 2 of DP6) and combine it with the second set from the 15th, and you've got a hell of a release (probably plenty of room for first set filler or more of the 14th's second set).

8. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

What was that guy smoking? /s

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I was pretty excited to get DP 13 when it came out. I did not have a large tape trading network, and so i’d jumped on the DP train with vol 1 and just kept it rolling. Early 80s was something still relatively newish to me. I was definitely sucked in by the bonus track at the time, and High Time, He’s Gone>Jam all made strong impressions.

Now the He’s Gone>Jam still hold up, but the non-speed corrected buried S>F annoys me, and i know there are much better shows from that same time period. And as for early-80s Nassau… ill take “Go to Nassau” every day of the week.

10. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

This is one of my least played DiPs. It's pretty solid but the recording/mix doesn't do a whole lot for me although things really get cooking with the 2nd and 3rd discs. I'm a big fan of the Lost Sailor/Saint pairing (can't have one without the other) so it was great to finally get one on an official release. The Scarlet/Fire filler really smokes after the appropriate pitch correction. When I ripped all my CDs to hard drive, I separated the Scarlet/Fire out and made the necessary adjustments. I listened to it via amazon music this week and it was quite the shock to the system when the off speed filler came on. Don't care too much for the Good Lovin' & Don't Ease that finish up the show so probably with a different closing sequence I'd rate this Pick higher.

Crispy Rob, adamos, Spazros and 4 others like this.
  11. uzn007

Pot.

ODShowtime likes this.
  12. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

There wasn't a freely available soundboard in circulation, and still isn't one on the Archive. I suppose that had something to do with it--and of course Dick's brain must have lit up whenever he listened to the "He's Gone" jam.

This isn't the most appealing setlist for my taste, but they do play with good energy. I even enjoy the "Rooster," not usually one of my favorites. A comp or another disc of highlights from 5/8-9 would have been welcome, however (note that the next Pick was a comp and the first 4-CD set). The New Haven/Rutgers shows following this run might have worked just as well. I am glad that Dick slipped in the "Scarlet>Fire" hidden track, although it doesn't match the tonal palette from the rest of the set, and it's just weird to reach back 18 months for bonus material. But it breaks up a sequence that would feel kind of bland without that touch of color.

The audio via my headphones seems to have had the air sucked out, like the instruments were directly plugged into the board, but it actually sounds great on the big speakers. Clean and muscular. Crankable.

This isn't my idea of the Best of '81--although an old DeadBase poll included it in the Top 5 of the year, along with 10/16, 12/31, 3/28, and 10/6--but it's a good example of the Arena Rock Dead that includes a couple of unique jams. I enjoy it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Crispy Rob, sami, track11 and 8 others like this.
  13. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

DiP 13 isn’t one I revisit too often but disc three is certainly worthy and I enjoy the rest well enough. The hidden bonus track was pretty cool at the time and I’m glad it’s there but I agree it’s a bit of a hassle to play just that from the disc itself.

The MEZ, Crispy Rob, sami and 7 others like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Also in the Deadbase X poll, 5/6/81 "He's Gone" is the second best version, with 5/26/73 at the top (I guess because that was one of the first three set shows from those days available in top quality) and 9/16/90 the only other version receiving more than 10 votes.

Crispy Rob, sami, Spazros and 4 others like this.
  15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

HV also has it second

Grateful Dead best He's Gone | headyversion

Crispy Rob, sami and Gollum like this.
  16. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

I skipped the 79 Scarlet>Fire initially, but am listening to it now. So, how much too slow is it, cause I can't hear it, or better said, it doesn't bother me. Enjoyable version overall. But I'm the worst critic.

notesofachord, Al Gator and bzfgt like this.
  17. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

Clickable thread guide

List of releases

By Release Date
    By Concert Date
    This week: 1973-11-30 Boston (released 1999-06-18 on Dick's Picks 14)

Next week: 1973-12-02 Boston (released 1999-06-18 on Dick's Picks 14)

18. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Dick's Picks Volume 14

Recording date: November 30, 1973
    Recording location: Boston Music Hall, Boston, Massachusetts.
    Release date: June 18, 1999
    Recorded by: Bill Candelario

Disc 1
    11/30 First set:
    1. "(Walk Me Out in the) Morning Dew" (Bonnie Dobson, Tim Rose) – 14:29
    2. "Mexicali Blues" (Bob Weir, John Barlow) – 3:46
    3. “Dire Wolf” (Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter) – 5:09
    4. “Black-Throated Wind” (Weir, Barlow) – 7:01
    5. “Don't Ease Me In” (traditional) – 4:44
    6. "Big River" (Johnny Cash) – 5:30
    7. “They Love Each Other” (Garcia, Hunter) – 6:01
    8. “Playing in the Band” (Weir, Mickey Hart, Hunter) – 23:18
    Disc 2
    11/30 Second set:
    1. “Here Comes Sunshine” (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:54
    2. “Weather Report Suite” > (Weir, Eric Anderson, Barlow) – 14:44
    3. “Dark Star Jam” > (Grateful Dead, Hunter) – 9:18
    4. “Eyes of the World” > (Garcia, Hunter) – 19:26
    5. “Sugar Magnolia” (Hunter, Weir) – 10:16
    This is the first release to which we’ll dedicate multiple weeks; with most of two fall 1973 shows spread over four discs it’s better to focus on one of these shows each week. First up is the November 30 concert, the first show of a three-night run at the Boston Music Hall. (The second night is not part of this release.)

Apparently the band was very late and the audience spent three hours watching the crew set up. But the opening Morning Dew must have made it all worthwhile (it’s basically the soundcheck and you can hear occasional gremlins). The music is laid-back, almost quiet; the five-piece band is more about musical interaction than driving power. Right from the start it’s clear that the concerts demand attention and won’t work well as background music.

The first-set short songs are generally mellow, although Jerry plays some wonderful guitar; They Love Each Other has a great solo. Keith’s playing well throughout and adds numerous beautiful touches to the songs. The first real jam is in a long version of Playing in the Band, where the music ranges all over the place. It’s hard to describe because there aren’t many themed jams here; it’s just the musicians floating wherever they feel like, yet maintaining some coherence. This closes the first disc and first set.

The second disc is just five long songs. It starts with Here Comes Sunshine, the song that started the Dick’s Picks series. But this version is completely different; instead of relentless Jerry solos, it’s more of a band improvisation, especially in the extended middle section. Phil is the hero here.

Weather Report Suite doesn’t provide much room for improvisation, but it’s a nice version. At the end it drops into a meandering Dark Star jam (there are no vocals). Eyes of the World is joyous and arguably the show’s highlight, taking its time to pull the listener in. The set concludes with Sugar Magnolia, high-energy but the ending becomes a bit tedious.

It’s unfortunate that songs like Brown Eyed Women, Loser, Row Jimmy and Jack Straw were left off, although at least some of them were included from the 12/2 show. In today’s world this entire run would probably have been released as a mini box set. We get a short essay from an attendee, giving some impressions of the scene and the music.

This is a very enjoyable couple of hours of Grateful Dead music, but I have to be in the mood to really get into it. I’ll refrain from summarizing the whole Pick until we cover the second show next week...

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Here is the deadlists.com setlist. Dick cut four songs from each set, and apparently swapped the order of two of the first set songs to preserve the Jerry/Bob alternating lead vocal pattern.

One: Morning Dew [13:33] ; Mexicali Blues [3:15] ; Dire Wolf [4:31] ; Beat It On Down The Line [3:10] ; Brown Eyed Women [4:40] ; Black Throated Wind [6:43] ; Don't Ease Me In [#3:22] ; El Paso [4:06] ; They Love Each Other [5:33] ; Big River [4:41] ; Loser [6:32] ; Playing In The Band [23:15]
    Two Bertha [6:07] > The Promised Land [2:53] ; Row Jimmy [9:39] ; Jack Straw [4:50] ; Here Comes Sunshine [11:39] ; Weather Report Suite Prelude [1:18] > Weather Report Suite Part 1 [4:16] > Let It Grow [9:18] > Dark Star Jam [9:25] > Eyes Of The World [19:20] ; Sugar Magnolia [10:01]

I remember in the 90's an audience tape got around and some people on rec.music.gdead started saying that this was one of the best shows they ever played. There must have been something in that audience tape as I've never found that much reason to be excited about the show on this DP. Typical 1973 greatness though (although the "Dark Star" jam is aimless).

20. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

This was a great Pick because the circulating tapes were barely listenable. For many years, this was Grail material.

21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

So, we’re splitting this one. Ok, here’s my take (previously posted in The Grateful Thread)—

(Half of) Dick's Picks #14 — Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA, 30/11/73. There were two incomplete shows released on this Pick, a best-of if you like, of material from the first and third (last) night’s of a three-night run at this venue.

This Pick is notable as there was no Donna for this/these show/s as she was taking a hiatus from touring due to pregnancy. Also, sadly, this was the last Dick’s Picks to be released during Dick Latvala’s lifetime.

The music though, of course, is stellar. I mean, it’s Fall ‘73, duh!

A tight, well-played 1st set opens with a rare, and stunning Morning Dew—they also close with it on the last night, making rather neat bookends to the Boston run; Mexicali Blues is a ripper; Dire Wolf is jaunty and janglin’; Black-Throated Wind is powerful and full of emotion; Don’t Ease Me In is super bouncy; there’s a light and breezy They Love Each Other; a smokin’ Big River; and a hugely energetic, jammy and psychedelic PITB closes the set.

The material from the 2nd set takes it up a notch, and is just magical. The run from the phenomenal Here Comes Sunshine, full of good time vibes, through to the end of the set is absolute first-class; WRS is gorgeous and dreamy, segueing into a beautiful and spacey Dark Star Jam before transitioning into an exquisite, long and jazzy Eyes Of The World—a favourite from this era.

It’s just jaw-dropping how the band are fully in tune and locked in sync with one another throughout the whole sequence. Mind-bogglingly marvellous stuff.

No encore played on this night, maybe due to Bobby’s voice being hoarse by the end?

I: Morning Dew*, Mexicali Blues*, Dire Wolf*, Beat It On Down The Line, Brown-Eyed Women, Black-Throated Wind*, Don’t Ease Me In*, El Paso, They Love Each Other*, Big River*, Loser, Playing In The Band*.

II: Bertha > Promised Land, Row Jimmy, Jack Straw, Here Comes Sunshine*, Weather Report Suite* > Dark Star Jam* > Eyes Of The World* > Sugar Magnolia*.

*on DP#14.

Latvala!

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

As @Al Gator mentioned, they were hours late starting the show. There may have been no encore because of union overtime fees.

Crispy Rob, superstar19, trd and 2 others like this.
  23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yeah, my bad. That was a copy and paste job from ages ago.

24. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Dick’s Picks 14 - Part 1: 11/30/73

With 14, the DiP series finally jumped the 3-disc limitation imposed by TPTB, releasing the majority of two shows on 4 discs. This is the second entry from ’73, and was exciting since unheard recordings from that year were (and still are!) coveted treasures. This week’s entry hits Discs One and Two from 11/30.

Notes & Highlights:
    • Some strange selections from the first set on Disc One - I'm less impressed with it than most, it seems. This is one of the limper Dews Ive heard and sound problems plague almost the entire thing; the volume and mix fluctuate constantly, and Kidd can’t seem to get Phil sitting right until everything’s finally dialed in for a typically excellent and searching Playin’ set closer. As Al mentioned, the band was 3 hours late for the gig, which explains things, but I’m not sure why Dick felt a glorified soundcheck required an official release -- it’s pretty annoying and almost a waste of a disc, IMO. The slowed-down Dire Wolf, BT Wind, a tight Big River and that Playin’ keep it from being a total wash.
    • The reason for this show’s inclusion is revealed on Disc Two, which delivers about 2/3 of the second set; a bunch of shorter songs from the first third are excised. What’s left is the heart of the set, starting with a nice Here Comes Sunshine (anyone know why they stopped playing this song? I still haven’t heard a bad one from ‘73) with Phil’s contributions standing out. A standard issue (but well-played!) Weather Report goes into a 9+ minute Dark Star Jam. Phil and Keith are excellent here, and Jerry plays beautifully off of them both. It’s all on the mellow and meandering side, but it’s an engaging listen that transitions into an epic Eyes that doesn’t seem to want to end and stays hot the whole way through – definitely the set highlight. Sugar Mag wraps it up on an energetic note.
    Disc One is generally forgettable: besides the Playin’, there’s not a lot of meat on the bone due to the sound issues and hearing it for this review reminded me of why I haven’t reached for it in over 20 years. Disc Two, however, is an undeniably great listen, and has some terrific highlights worth revisiting.

25. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

this one has stayed in my rotation all along. As others have mentioned, this DP was so welcome at least for me, because I didn't have a ton of good quality Fall '73 tapes (CD-Rs?) at this point. Over the last 20 years, I probably listen to DaP 5 (UCLA Nov 17) or the Winterland box the most of this tour, but DP 14 is top shelf. Again, as others have mentioned, disc 2 is where it's at for this first half of our discussion. So many memorable sequences from the tour - the palindromes from UCLA and Winterland of course, but also Dane and Denver (Nov 21) and this one from Here Comes Sunshine to the end is certainly an all-timer.

I still rate this an essential DP (even if Dick left off the only C>R from this Boston run :realmad:)

Spazros, Al Gator, adamos and 4 others like this.