Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Closer to Seastones sense!

frightwigwam and Crazy Otto like this.
  2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Good morning, I tried looking for a thread on the high resolution downloads of official releases (from dead net) of live archival material and failed.
    I assume there were never high resolution digital releases of the Dick's Picks series or the current Dave's Picks? Did the Road Trips series get hi res digital?

3. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

No, dead.net has just recently entered the digital arena. Dave’s Picks we’re always to be “limited”.

You can however purchase digital copies of Dick’s Picks and the Road Trips series here: Grateful Dead concert live downloads and online music streaming

trd, frightwigwam and Flaming Torch like this.
  4. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Oh that's great thanks. I should have looked at Nugs as they do the Bruce stuff. I have most of the Dick's Picks series on cd and did make my own files but of course cd quality and I have no idea what happens to those which were HDCD!

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I listened to that last night and it was funny to hear Bob and Keith trying to play normal chords while Phil does all that and Jerry just makes guitar string noises. I was too sleepy to follow the piece very well so I may try to listen again and write a longer post.

6. Campaignshoutin

Campaignshoutin Forum Resident

The 5/17/74 Vancouver show from (on PNW 73-74) has a great slower Dire Wolf. Full of the regret that seems so appropriate for the song, but the they rarely gave it outside of 73 and 74.
    Later Dire Wolfs (Wolves?) often get the jaunty sing-along treatment. Kind of like when Springsteen makes Johnny 99 a party song on stage.

7. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

12/2/73 - This partial show is missing: Dire Wolf, The Race is On, El Paso, Row Jimmy, Big River, Deal from Set I and the Sunshine Daydream from Set II.

I enjoy everything on Disc Three, from the cherry picked Set I songs (how about that Weather Report Suite?) to the essential first 2 songs of Set II combo of Wharf Rat>Mississippi Half Step.

Disc Four is the highlight of this release. A glorious Playing in the Band morphs into a long jam that fires on all cylinders -the band brilliantly pushes the jam to the brink and when it all seems too much, launches into a nice MLB-jam to bring everything back to earth. That 25min action is spectacular. An awesome He's Gone and above average Truckin' leads into a fantastic Stella Blue. The Morning Dew encore brings the whole release full circle (Disc One started with AM Dew). This version is one of the more delicate versions that I can recall hearing and is a sublime way to end this three night run in Boston.

I have to seek out the 12/1/73 show and see how it compares to nights one and three. Perhaps this would have made a nice little box set?

I think the next show the band played was 12/6/73 in Cleveland which contains an amazing set II (Dark Star>Eyes of the World>Stella Blue) and is one release I hope to see someday.

Erik B., adamos, Al Gator and 8 others like this.
  8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

12-04, Cincinnati

9. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

That portion of 12/6 was released on the Denver '73 Road Trips bonus disc, IIRC.

ianuaditis, Driver8 and superstar19 like this.
  10. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Edit: minus the Stella, unfortunately

ARK and superstar19 like this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There are two AUD sources of 12/2/73 on the Archive - in one the taper gets busted after a few first set songs (tough luck) but the other is complete, and although in mono it's a good alternate perspective on the Playing jam.

Erik B., ianuaditis and ODShowtime like this.
  12. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

Clickable thread guide

List of releases

By Release Date
    By Concert Date
    This week: 1977-09-03 Englishtown (released 1999-10-18 on Dick's Picks 15)

Next week: Various (released 1999-11-07 on So Many Roads)

Skylab and frightwigwam like this.
  13. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Dick's Picks Volume 15

Recording date: September 3, 1977
    Recording location: Raceway Park, Englishtown, New Jersey
    Release date: October 18, 1999
    Recorded by: Betty Cantor-Jackson

Disc 1
    First set:
    1. "Introduction" (Scher) – 0:41
    2. "Promised Land" (Chuck Berry) – 5:08
    3. "They Love Each Other" (Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter) – 7:41
    4. "Me & My Uncle" (John Phillips) – 3:52
    5. "Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo" (Garcia, Hunter) – 13:34
    6. "Looks Like Rain" (Bob Weir, John Barlow) – 7:52
    7. "Peggy-O” (traditional) – 9:18
    8. "New Minglewood Blues" (Noah Lewis) – 5:20
    9. "Friend of the Devil" (Garcia, John Dawson, Hunter) – 8:13
    10. "The Music Never Stopped" (Weir, Barlow) – 7:03
    Disc 2
    Second set:
    1. "Bertha" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:35
    2. "Good Lovin'" (Rudy Clark, Arthur Resnick) – 6:00
    3. "Loser" (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:37
    4. "Estimated Prophet" > (Barlow, Weir) – 9:29
    5. "Eyes of the World" (Garcia, Hunter) – 13:17
    6. "Samson and Delilah" (Rev. Gary Davis) – 6:40
    Disc 3
    1. "He's Gone" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 14:18
    2. "Not Fade Away" > (Buddy Holly, Norman Petty) – 19:58
    3. "Truckin'" (Garcia, Phil Lesh, Weir, Hunter) – 10:05
    4. Encore: "Terrapin Station" (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:02
    Dick’s Picks 15 presents one of the largest Grateful Dead concerts ever played, at Raceway Park in New Jersey. I’ve read estimates from 100,000 to 150,000 for the audience; the Dead followed the New Riders and the Marshall Tucker Band.

The band blasts into Promised Land, delivering a shot of energy to a crowd that must have been tired after a long day in the summer sun. But they quickly show that the music won’t lack for more intricate moments with a strong They Love Each Other; Keith delivers a fine solo followed by a raunchy one from Jerry. The band steps the musical level up in a stunning rendition of Mississippi Half-Step. Jerry’s nailing his songs with a superb, dynamic Peggy-O and an explosive Friend of the Devil. Bob’s songs shouldn’t be ignored, with a ripping Minglewood Blues (one of my favorite versions) and a fine Music Never Stopped to end the first set.

The second set continues in the same way - high-energy, but not particularly exploratory. Loser is powerful, and Estimated>Eyes is a fairly typical version for the era. He’s Gone sounds like it’s building into Truckin’, but instead goes into a long version of Not Fade Away, the main jam of the set with a ton of tasty Jerry leads. Eventually the teased Truckin’ gets started and it’s a lively one to close the set. The encore is “a little ditty from our newest album” - Terrapin Station. It’s a bold choice for the huge crowd but it really satisfies.

The show was recorded on multitrack, and apparently this was a rough mix not originally intended for release. An opportunity was missed here because while the sound quality isn’t bad, it’s not as clear as would be expected, and a new mix might have resulted in much better quality.

It’s also the first HDCD-encoded release, which means that unless you can decode HDCD you’re missing some of the sound quality, particularly the dynamics. (If you’re using a CD player you’ll need one of the few that decodes it, and if you’re playing files you either need to run them through a decoding program which will create new 24-bit files, or use a program like JRiver that will convert them on the fly and send a 24-bit stream to your DAC.) From here out, most Grateful Dead releases for many years would use HDCD, as far as the early Dave’s Picks.

The booklet is the biggest so far, including a local newspaper article written by an attendee; apparently the day’s highlight was Truckin’. It’s the first release after Dick passed away, and includes a note “from the great beyond” promising that the series would continue.

In the end it’s a very energetic show, certainly a well-known show and perfect for the intended audience, yet somehow it’s not one I reach for very often. I’m glad to have it in my collection and it can sometimes hit the spot, but I don’t recommend it as a 1977 starting point.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

This release had an edit in "He's Gone" covering up a mistake (primarily by Jerry) going from the second chorus to the bridge. Some people who had the original tape (that was a popular FM recording for years) didn't like this, but for me it was an okay decision.

I also find that this isn't one of my favorite '77 shows. Several of the best from that year were Betty recordings not in the vault at the time, that they acquired and released later.

adamos, Gollum, Crazy Otto and 5 others like this.
  15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

On the intact performance, the bridge solo goes back to the chorus instead of the bridge vocals ("going where the wind don't blow so strange"), then after the chorus Jerry plays another lead and they finally sing the bridge, then it proceeds as normal.

16. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Previously posted … :blah: :blah: :blah:

Dick’s Picks #15 — Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ, 03/09/77 . . .

“There’s a band out on the highway
    They’re high-stepping into Englishtown”

This one’s a bit good, isn’t it?!

1st Set:
    • Promised Land — straight out the gate this is a fierce, super hot, energetic opener. So hot, Phil breaks a string. Jerry’s going absolutely nuts;
    • They Love Each Other — the energy continues here, real playful and bouncy with Keith MVP on keys;
    • Me And My Uncle — a sweet disco-fied MAMU, strong beat and grooving vibe. Love the little guitar licks on these dance-y versions, even the “Take a Step Back” after is cool;
    • Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo — this one’s epic. I just get lost in the jam. Colossal. ‘Nuff said. An all-timer;
    • Looks Like Rain — beautiful harmonies and great tone on Jerry’s guitar, here;
    • Peggy-O — a stunningly emotive, elegantly sung and played Pretty Peggy-O, with a solo that’ll make you weep. I love the sound of Jerry and Keith on this one, along with Phil’s melodic bass lines;
    • New Minglewood Blues — enthusiastic, smokin’ hot version with rollicking keys by Keith;
    • Friend Of The Devil — again, Keith is superb on this gorgeous, slower FOTD;
    • The Music Never Stopped — tight and groovy with relentless beat, a lively set-closer.
    2nd Set:
    • Bertha > — buckle up! A dazzling, rippin’ 2nd set opener, with some sweet interplay between Jerry and Keith, they go off;
    • Good Lovin’ — an energetic, solid rendition;
    • Loserelectric, with a sizzling, scintillating Jerry solo;
    • Estimated Prophet >“a crazy little number,” it’s strident with a tight and confident sound, segueing perfectly into;
    • Eyes Of The World — this one grooves. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face and get you tapping your toes. Marvellous, joyful, funky, transcendent. A perfect Eyes up there amongst the all-timers;
    • Samson And Delilah — blistering scorcher, this one rocks hard;
    • He’s Gone > — the outro jam into NFA is out-of-this-world, truly sublime;
    • Not Fade Away > — this one is insanely great, it’s ridiculous. Just astonishingly brilliant. Another all-timer and show highlight;
    • Truckin’ — Phil’s going berserk here, both dropping bass-bombs and on vocals!
    • Terrapin Station — just when you think it’s all over, they pull out a Terrapin encore! This one is majestic, grandiose, intense. Absolutely glorious.
    What a show! It’s almost a Greatest Hits setlist. Upper-echelon, for sure.

I: Promised Land, They Love Each Other, Me And My Uncle, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Looks Like Rain, Peggy-O, New Minglewood Blues, Friend Of The Devil, The Music Never Stopped.

II: Bertha > Good Lovin’, Loser, Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World, Samson And Delilah, He’s Gone > Not Fade Away > Truckin’.

E: Terrapin Station.

18. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Dick's Picks 15. Had never heard this one before this thread. Most energy I've felt from any of these Picks so far and it really hit the spot this week. It stayed in the player almost all week, I couldn't stop listening to it and loving the vibe. It's not "challenging" or exploratory but it's a ton of fun. I will come back to this one quite a bit I think.

Also, that article in the booklet was terrible.

19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

DP 15 is one of those shows where the first set hits all cylinders firing. I much prefer to listen to it than to set II (not counting the encore). But then again, I could probably just listen to the Mississippi Half Step on repeat...

20. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

It's crazy good

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Dick's Picks 15

I've heard this show but not as it's here.

The first set starts off solid, the second one gets better after they break for salt tablets.

All I can say is...Damn!

Gollum and Al Gator like this.
  22. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Before Dick’s 15, my only knowledge of the Englishtown show was this single disc vinyl, which centered on the Estimated > Eyes. It was nice to eventually learn that the whole show was just as good as this.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Wow, apparently Englishtown underraters are a thing. Who’d a thunk?

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:confused:

Al Gator and notesofachord like this.
  25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Can we blame the tape source?

Burningfool and Al Gator like this.