Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I doubt either of those were the first, they had tons of releases out by then and until this year the only time things were on pitch was by accident.

2. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

I happened on to Dick's Picks Vol 1 at a mall in Atlanta soon after its release. From the CD insert I sent a letter to GoGD HQ and subscribed to the "Grateful Dead Almanac" which was a "publication" that was mailed out (quarterly?). It had some articles but was mainly a catalogue of things they were selling. That was where I heard about "So Many Roads". I got it for Christmas the year it came out.

For me, this release interested me with disc 1, disc 2 blew my mind, disc 3 went back to interesting, then disc 4/5 went downhill a little. I went back to disc 2 a lot over the years until AB 50th released the "Beautiful Jam" + Watkins Glen soundcheck was always a treat.

I still listen to this release twenty years later, which is a testament to the band, but also to TPTB at GoGD HQ.

ARK, Spazros, Gollum and 10 others like this.
  3. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

So Many Roads is an interesting case.

It's definitely part of a bygone era, where box sets needed to be career-encompassing, before artists/record companies realised that mining a particular era, or album, could produce a box set that was richer than if you tried to do everything at once.

I'm definitely in the camp of "If you try and fit in everything, you'll miss a whole lot out", and So Many Roads fits this perfectly. Taken on an individual basis, there's some outstanding music here, but to me it doesn't feel like anything other than a compilation, which hurts it a bit.

But still, the highs are very high. The 'Death Don't Have No Mercy' bust out from '89 is a personal fave, and of course the 'Beautiful Jam' isn't a misleading name.

But the box isn't one I revisit too often.

trd, Spazros, Gollum and 8 others like this.
  4. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Gonna have to sit this one out, overseas family session going on and no listening time. Catch y'all next week for DiP 16 :righton:

Gollum and ianuaditis like this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I like the So Many Roads set but I guess the market was a bit more cautious/conservative back then. If done today it would probably run to many more discs and more lavish bigger packaging (I am thinking of the Pacific North West box!).

ARK, trd, uzn007 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

Like 80 discs in a porch-crushing box? ;)

ARK, Flaming Torch and Burningfool like this.
  7. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

That is not correct. They have been using Plangent on cassette releases including DaP 39. One could argue that Plangent would have an even greater benefit on a cassette given the slower speed 1 7/8ips vs the reel speeds of 7.5ips or 15ips.

ARK, trd, Crazy Otto and 1 other person like this.
  8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Howarth said 'Cassettes are a matter of luck if they work' on the DaP 2021 thread.

ODShowtime, trd, uzn007 and 1 other person like this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I have nothing bad to say about SMRoads.

They built a box set spanning an enormous career, that did not force us to buy stuff we already had, that was full of gems in an era when it all wasn’t at our finger tips, and that basically concluded with an unreleased album.

And this was not the norm at the time… the whole thing is a masterstroke. Well done GDM. Along with Jethro Tull’s 20th Box… this has always stood as a box set high water mark for me. Love it.

ARK, Jackstraw78, warewolf95 and 15 others like this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

So Many Roads is tricky for me as I suspect that if I'd been asked to compile a 5 CD Grateful Dead overview (with the regulations that it needed to include unreleased studio outtakes and rehearsals, and that it had to give equal time to all eras of the band) it would have come out pretty similarly, but I've never been tempted to buy it. Maybe one of these days I will try listening all the way through it on Spotify.

Gollum, Al Gator, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

So Many Roads - I never got this set, I guess I was vaguely aware it existed when it came out, but never had any interest in buying it. 99 was a bit of an ebb tide in GD attention for me, in that I only listened to them about 75% of the time, (rather than 95% or so as in the previous 5-6 years,) and I'd built up a big catalog of tapes so I wasn't paying much attention to what they were putting out. I already owned nearly everything I'd consider must-have or rare on this release, including Otis on a Shakedown Cruise, so I probably wouldn't have been too interested in shelling out for that one version of Clementine plus a couple of random 80s tracks, especially after I got burned by my edition of Phil Zone with only one CD in it.

12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This is a tough crowd. For a 5 CD set… SMR is pretty damn amazing. They were not playing it safe. I’ll keep on defending this one.

Jam757, ARK, Jackstraw78 and 11 others like this.
  13. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

I got a lot to catch up on this thread... (summer laziness... )

Dick’s Picks 14 - Part 2: 11/30/73

I concur with the majority: second portion of this release is the better of the two. (But I do find 2 cd to be an equal to the 3rd and 4th.)
    Anyway, third and fourth discs, from first to the last note is a musical Nirvana. Especially the second set from Wharf Rat onward... Just have a listen late at night… By the time you'll arrive to Stella Blue you'll feel liberated by this stunning music. And it is still not over, as there is a perfect example of Morning Dew to wrap up the release. This stuff will sure put all of your senses in the highest state of alertness.

This is by all accounts an upper echelon DiP release. And it does not even contain Dark Star proper or the Other One. Could even give it a higher overall rating if the sound quality wasn't a bit thin in places.

Overall rating for DiP 14: 4.2

14. GuitarStrangler

Dick's Picks Vol. 15: Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ, 9/3/77

I can review this release with one short sentence: It doesn't get much better than this! The whole set crackles with energy, from start to finish. Though playing a big outdoor festival might not be typically their thing, GD here are hot hot hot!

Don't you dare telling me this is not one of the hotest shows from 1977, and beyond! :p

They start with turbocharged Promised Land with very animated playing by Phil. Actually he doesn’t let up until the end. I am not the biggest fan of slow TLEOs, but Jerry's tasty solos get me more often than not. There’s an EPIC, magical Mississippi Half-Step. This one is easily in top 5 or so. Peggy-O is one more big highlight. They achieve this magical level of energy by playing traditional folky tune in front of 100.000 people at the big outdoor festival. I don't know any other band that could have done that in a way they do it. And watch out for the TMNS: this is one more contender for the best ever. They peak so strong here that it is almost unbearable!

Set 2 opens with a classic 1-2 punch Berta->Good Lovin'. Bobby really commands it. His vocals are strong, not only here but throughout the whole show in general. Anyway, all the way to the very end of the show these are epic performances. When Eyes like this suck you in, you get the rush of positive emotions and that special feeling that all the world is fine and everything is beautiful. They also put out one of the highest energy versions of Truckin' I've ever heard. The peaks towards the end are positively insane! A perfect encore comes in the form of Terrapin Station.

This is essential Grateful Dead release in every way. Don't be without it.

Overall rating: 4.7/5

15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

12-2

16. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

Disc One:

Can’t Come Down: An interesting curiosity from 1965. A bluesy, garage influenced track with an obvious lyrical nod to Dylan.

Caution (Do Not Stop On the Tracks): Embryonic Dead showcasing Pig’s raspy bluesy vocals. Later a concert staple, it’s nice to hear an early sample of the greatness to come.

You Don’t Have to Ask: Feels like the band is trying to hard to drop a hit single which honors the mid-60’s San Francisco sound (complete with the circus organ). Doesn’t do much for me.

On the Road Again: My first introduction to this song came via Reckoning. I like this bluesy version. A nice listen.

Cream Puff War: Here the band starts to extend itself and develop their own sound. A relic that has been long lost, but demonstrates the evolution of the band in a somewhat short period of time.

I know You Rider: An early live version of a song which became a longstanding concert staple. A fun listen to hear this primitive version.

The Same Thing: A+++++ A slinky bluesy number putting both PigPen and Jerry’s guitar work on display. I don’t usually reach for Disc 1 when listening to this set, but this song blew me away in preparation for this review.

Dark Star>China Cat Sunflower>The Eleven: An Early (and short) version of Dark Star is still a fun listen. There is a clumsy segue into China Cat, but it’s a romping early version that develops into a nice long-ish version of the Eleven. The band has found their sound here.

Clementine: A nice rare track here, one that didn’t live long in the band’s cannon. Also there haven’t been very many official versions of this song released. It’s good.

Mason’s Children: A fun (lost) song - one which always stands out on a setlist. A demo which was left off Workingman’s Dead - it would have been a welcome addition to either that album or American Beauty.

To Lay Me Down: An outtake from American Beauty - this is a different presentation from the final version which would show up on Garcia. A nice way to close out the disc.

Disc Two:

That’s it for the Other One: a perfect example of this jam vehicle recored in 1969.

Beautiful Jam: an aptly titled track. It’s a nice transition between Wharf Rat and Dark Star recorded in Port Chester, NY in 1971. Short, but sweet.

Chinatown Shuffle: PigPen takes the lead on this great song from Europe in 1972. The last PigPen song of this set

Sing Me Back Home: Beautiful version from one of the band’s best shows: 8/27/72.

Watkins Glen Soundcheck Jam: A spectacular and unique jam.

Dark Star>Spanish Jam>US Blues: a pseudo-extension of the spacey Watkins Glen jam, this Dark Star from the Jai Alai Fronton in 1973 is exceptional Dead material. Building into a “Spanish jam” before a fully realized US Blues rises from the ashes.

Disc Three:

Eyes of the World: A wonderful version of this song from 1974.

The Wheel: a slow, heady, elongated version of this great song from 1976 (sandwiched between a PITB and a PITB reprise). It finishes with an exceptional jam.

Stella Blue: stunning

Estimated Prophet: You can tell by the keyboard early on that this track features Brent. I dig this version.

The Music Never Stopped: This version smokes - a band beyond description indeed. I think Brent’s subtle background vocals are fantastic.

Shakedown Street: Always a favorite, even this slower version.

Disc Four:

Cassidy: A fair version of Cassidy with an interesting little jam toward the end.

Hey Pocky Way: Not a favorite song of mine, I guess this version is ok.

Believe it Or Not: The first official release of this song. It’s better than I remember it being and one of the curiosities of this release that should intrigue fans.

Playing in the Band: Smokin’ hot version from ’88

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines - Another curiosity - unreleased recording from the Built to Last sessions and only played a few times in concert.

Death Don’t Have No Mercy: After being played in the 60’s this song went into hibernation until the late 80’s. It a good listen, though I prefer their approach to this song in the 60’s

Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain: A great version from Spring 1990.

Bird Song: Great version from Spring 1990 featuring Branford Marsalis on saxophone.

Jam out of Terrapin: The first offering from the post-Brent era. An odd choice to round out the disc. It’s interesting, but not essential

Disc Five:

Terrapin Station: A fair version of this classic Dead song. I feel that they may have included it to show that 90’s era Dead could still deliver on the classics.

Jam Out Of Foolish Heart: Interesting jam, but why not include a full Foolish Heart, one of their better later day jam vehicles.

Way To Go Home: Not one of my favorite songs, but I actually enjoyed this a bit while listening for this review. A Vince led number which hadn’t seen an official release yet.

Liberty: See “Way to Go Home” (except this ones sung by Jerry).

Lazy River Road: A unreleased demo from 1993. This is a gentle folky song is sung by Jerry. (think of his voice on the Garcia/Grisman albums released in the 90’s) While his voice is certainly showing sings of aging, he sounds great here. It’s nice to hear some studio material from the final years of the Dead.

Eternity: Demo for this slinky Bobby song that he continued to play with Wasserman in a post-Dead world.

Jam into Days Between: A studio jam which starts off sounding a little Drums/Space-ish to these ears and then develops into an interesting excursion.

Days Between: Another late-era Jerry song. Penned with Robert Hunter, this reflective ballad is a worthy addition to this set. Perhaps there are better live versions, but I like the studio demo included here.

Whiskey in the Jar: A spontaneous in-studio cover and super fun to listen to. Glad they included it. The studio banter is as interesting as the song itself.

So Many Roads: The final time they played this song from the last Dead show. Technically, they probably played better versions of this, but c’mon it’s rightfully included as the last track on this box.

So Many Roads is a brief (compared to the porch crusher) chronological journey through the Dead’s career - from early demos to one of the last songs they ever played together. They rose to the challenge of showcasing each era nicely, no easy feat for a band with 30 years of twists and turns. Some of this material has since been released again - but there are still enough gems here that you can’t find elsewhere. At the time of it’s release, this was a treasure trove of Dead material: top notch live jams, rare studio tracks, and songs that had not been released before. It’s now been over shadowed by the massive amount of material at our fingertips today, but I feel it’s an essential purchase.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Jam757, ARK, Campaigner and 16 others like this.
  17. GuitarStrangler

Dang! :oops:Too late to edit my post.

bzfgt likes this.
  18. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Picked up this set recently and haven't dug into it just yet.

Now listening to disc 1. Gotta say that twelve minute version of The Same Thing from 3/18/67 is magnificent and a sign of things to come later that year. Lots of Jerry counter leads. I'm somewhat surprised it had such a short shelf life.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    ARK, notesofachord, adamos and 4 others like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It did come back with Weir singing starting in late ‘91, but yeah, kind of surprising that Pigpen dropped it.

ARK, ianuaditis and Al Gator like this.
  20. Al Gator

We've been at this 26 weeks (6 months), I figure it's time to post an updated list. I made a couple of corrections, and added the releases since the original list (including the upcoming St. Louis box). I also added a handful of missing releases like the 50th anniversary sets.

Week 1: 1975-08-13 San Francisco (released 1991-04-15 on One from the Vault, covered 2021-02-12)
    Week 2: 1989, 1990 (released 1991-11-01 on Infrared Roses, covered 2021-02-19)
    Week 3: 1968-08-24 Los Angeles (released 1992-05 on Two from the Vault, covered 2021-02-26)
    Week 4: 1973-12-19 Tampa (released 1993-10-31 on Dick's Picks 1, covered 2021-03-05)
    Week 5: 1971-10-31 Columbus (released 1995-03 on Dick's Picks 2, covered 2021-03-12)
    Week 6: Various (released 1995-06-16 on Grayfolded, covered 2021-03-19)
    Week 7: 1972-04-26 Frankfurt (released 1995-09-26 on Hundred Year Hall, covered 2021-03-26)
    Week 8: 1977-05-22 Pembroke Pines (released 1995-11-07 on Dick's Picks 3, covered 2021-04-02)
    Week 9: 1970-02-13, 14 New York (released 1996-02-23 on Dick's Picks 4, covered 2021-04-09)
    Week 10: 1979-12-26 Oakland (released 1996-05-30 on Dick's Picks 5, covered 2021-04-16)
    Week 11: 1990-03-24 Albany (mostly) (released 1996-08-29 on Dozin' at the Knick, covered 2021-04-23)
    Week 12: 1983-10-14 Hartford (released 1996-10-07 on Dick's Picks 6, covered 2021-04-30)
    Week 13: 1974-09-09, 10, 11 London (released 1997-03-04 on Dick's Picks 7, covered 2021-05-07)
    Week 14: 1970-05-02 Binghamton (released 1997-06-14 on Dick's Picks 8, covered 2021-05-14)
    Week 15: Various (released 1997-06-17 on Fallout from the Phil Zone, covered 2021-05-21)
    Week 16: 1990-03-15 Landover (released 1997-09-30 on Terrapin Station Limited Edition, covered 2021-05-28)
    Week 17: 1990-09-16 New York (released 1997-10-19 on Dick's Picks 9, covered 2021-06-04)
    Week 18: 1969-02-11 New York (released 1997-10-28 on Live at the Fillmore East 2-11-69, covered 2021-06-11)
    Week 19: 1977-12-29 San Francisco (released 1998-02-26 on Dick's Picks 10, covered 2021-06-18)
    Week 20: 1972-09-27 Jersey City (released 1998-06-09 on Dick's Picks 11, covered 2021-06-25)
    Week 21: 1974-06-26 Providence, 1974-06-28 Boston (released 1998-10-15 on Dick's Picks 12, covered 2021-07-02)
    Week 22: 1981-05-06 Uniondale (released 1999-03-05 on Dick's Picks 13, covered 2021-07-09)
    Week 23: 1973-11-30 Boston (released 1999-06-18 on Dick's Picks 14, covered 2021-07-16)
    Week 24: 1973-12-02 Boston (released 1999-06-18 on Dick's Picks 14, covered 2021-07-23)
    Week 25: 1977-09-03 Englishtown (released 1999-10-18 on Dick's Picks 15, covered 2021-07-30)
    Week 26: Various (released 1999-11-07 on So Many Roads, covered 2021-08-06)
    Week 27: 1969-11-08 San Francisco (released 2000-03 on Dick's Picks 16)
    Week 28: 1991-09-25 Boston (released 2000-04-28 on Dick's Picks 17)
    Week 29: 1990-07-08 Pittsburgh (released 2000-06 on View from the Vault 1)
    Week 30: 1978-02-03 Madison, 1978-02-05 Cedar Falls (released 2000-06 on Dick's Picks 18)
    Week 31: 1971-04-25...29 New York (released 2000-10-10 on Ladies and Gentlemen... The Grateful Dead)
    Week 32: 1973-10-19 Oklahoma City (released 2000-10-23 on Dick's Picks 19)
    Week 33: 1976-09-25 Landover (released 2001-01-23 on Dick's Picks 20)
    Week 34: 1976-09-28 Syracuse (released 2001-01-23 on Dick's Picks 20)
    Week 35: 1985-11-01 Richmond (released 2001-03-20 on Dick's Picks 21)
    Week 36: 1968-02-23, 24 King's Beach (released 2001-06 on Dick's Picks 22)
    Week 37: 1991-06-14 Washington DC (released 2001-06-08 on View from the Vault 2)
    Week 38: 1972-09-27 Baltimore (released 2001-10-16 on Dick's Picks 23)
    Week 39: 1989-10-16 East Rutherford (released 2001-09-25 on Nightfall of Diamonds)
    Week 40: 1973-03-23 Daly City (released 2002-02-11 on Dick's Picks 24)
    Week 41: Various (released 2002-03 on Postcards of the Hanging)
    Week 42: 1972-04, 05 England (released 2002-07-09 on Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead: England '72)
    Week 43: 1990-06-16 Mountain View (released 2002-07-15 on View from the Vault 3)
    Week 44: 1978-05-10 New Haven (released 2002-07-20 on Dick's Picks 25)
    Week 45: 1978-05-11 Springfield (released 2002-07-20 on Dick's Picks 25)
    Week 46: 1969-04-26 Chicago, 1969-04-27 Minneapolis (released 2002-10-01 on Dick's Picks 26)
    Week 47: 1980-05-15, 16 Uniondale (released 2002-10-22 on Go to Nassau)
    Week 48: 1992-12-16 Oakland (released 2003-01-17 on Dick's Picks 27)
    Week 49: 1966-07 San Francisco (released 2003-03-25 on Birth of the Dead)
    Week 50: 1987-07-24 Oakland (released 2003-04-08 on View from the Vault 4)
    Week 51: 1987-07-26 Anaheim (released 2003-04-08 on View from the Vault 4)
    Week 52: 1973-02-26 Lincoln (released 2003-04-20 on Dick's Picks 28)
    Week 53: 1973-02-28 Salt Lake City (released 2003-04-20 on Dick's Picks 28)
    Week 54: 1977-05-19 Atlanta (released 2003-07-22 on Dick's Picks 29)
    Week 55: 1977-05-21 Lakeland (released 2003-07-22 on Dick's Picks 29)
    Week 56: 1972-03-25, 28 New York (released 2003-10-30 on Dick's Picks 30)
    Week 57: 1978-12-31 San Francisco (released 2003-11-11 on The Closing of Winterland)
    Week 58: 1974-08-04, 05, 06 Philadelphia, Jersey City (released 2004-03-16 on Dick's Picks 31)
    Week 59: 1972-04-24 Dusseldorf (released 2004-05-25 on Rockin' the Rhein)
    Week 60: 1982-08-07 East Troy (released 2004-07-20 on Dick's Picks 32)
    Week 61: 1976-10-09 Oakland (released 2004-11-15 on Dick's Picks 33)
    Week 62: 1976-10-10 Oakland (released 2004-11-15 on Dick's Picks 33)
    Week 63: 1977-11-05 Rochester (released 2005-02-14 on Dick's Picks 34)
    Week 64: 1974-10-16...20 San Francisco (released 2005-05-15 on The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack)
    Week 65: 1966 San Francisco (released 2005-05-25 on Rare Cuts and Oddities 1966)
    Week 66: 1971-08 Hollywood, San Diego, Chicago (released 2005-06-17 on Dick's Picks 35)
    Week 67: 1989-07-04 Orchard Park (released 2005-07-12 on Truckin' Up to Buffalo)
    Week 68: 1972-09-21 Philadelphia (released 2005-06 on Dick's Picks 36)
    Week 69: 1969-02-27 San Francisco (released 2005-11-25 on Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 70: 1969-02-28 San Francisco (released 2005-11-25 on Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 71: 1969-03-01 San Francisco (released 2005-11-25 on Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 72: 1969-03-02 San Francisco (released 2005-11-25 on Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 73: 1976-12-31 Daly City (released 2007-01-19 on Live at the Cow Palace)
    Week 74: 1971-02-19 Port Chester (released 2007-06-26 on Three from the Vault)
    Week 75: 1979-10, 11 (compilation) (released 2007-11-05 on Road Trips 1.1)
    Week 76: 1977-10 (compilation) (released 2008-02-04 on Road Trips 1.2)
    Week 77: 1973-11-09 San Francisco (released 2008-04-01 on Winterland 1973: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 78: 1973-11-10 San Francisco (released 2008-04-01 on Winterland 1973: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 79: 1973-11-11 San Francisco (released 2008-04-01 on Winterland 1973: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 80: 1971-07-31 New Haven, 1971-08-23 Chicago (released 2008-06-09 on Road Trips 1.3)
    Week 81: 1978-09-15, 16 Giza (released 2008-09-30 on Rockin' the Cradle: Egypt 1978)
    Week 82: 1978-10-21, 22 San Francisco (released 2008-09-30 on Road Trips 1.4)
    Week 83: 1990-09-18, 19, 20 New York (released 2008-12-10 on Road Trips 2.1)
    Week 84: 1968-02-14 San Francisco (released 2009-03-21 on Road Trips 2.2)
    Week 85: 1977-05-28 Hartford (released 2009-04-07 on To Terrapin: Hartford '77)
    Week 86: 1974-06-16 Des Moines, 1974-06-18 Louisville (released 2009-06-18 on Road Trips 2.3)
    Week 87: 1993-05-26, 27 Sacramento (released 2009-08-25 on Road Trips 2.4)
    Week 88: 1977-06-07 San Francisco (released 2009-10-01 on Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 89: 1977-06-08 San Francisco (released 2009-10-01 on Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 90: 1977-06-09 San Francisco (released 2009-10-01 on Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 91: 1979-12-28 Oakland (released 2009-11-10 on Road Trips 3.1)
    Week 92: 1971-11-15 Austin (released 2010-02-24 on Road Trips 3.2)
    Week 93: 1989-07-07 Philadelphia (released 2010-04-20 on Crimson, White & Indigo)
    Week 94: 1970-05-15 New York (released 2010-06-14 on Road Trips 3.3)
    Week 95: 1989-10-08 Hampton (released 2010-07-07 on Formerly the Warlocks)
    Week 96: 1989-10-09 Hampton (released 2010-07-07 on Formerly the Warlocks)
    Week 97: 1980-05-06 State College, 1980-05-07 Ithaca (released 2010-09-07 on Road Trips 3.4)
    Week 98: 1969-05-23, 24 West Hollywood (released 2010-11-16 on Road Trips 4.1)
    Week 99: 1988-03-31 & 04-01 East Rutherford (released 2011-02-01 on Road Trips 4.2)
    Week 100: 1973-11-21 Denver (released 2011-04-26 on Road Trips 4.3)
    Week 101: 1982-04-06 Philadelphia (released 2011-08-01 on Road Trips 4.4)
    Week 102: 1972-04-07 London (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 103: 1972-04-08 London (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 104: 1972-04-11 Newcastle (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 105: 1972-04-14 Copenhagen (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 106: 1972-04-16 Aarhus (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 107: 1972-04-17 Copenhagen (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 108: 1972-04-21 Bremen (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 109: 1972-04-24 Düsseldorf (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 110: 1972-04-26 Frankfurt (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 111: 1972-04-29 Hamburg (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 112: 1972-05-03 Paris (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 113: 1972-05-04 Paris (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 114: 1972-05-07 Wigan (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 115: 1972-05-10 Amsterdam (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 116: 1972-05-11 Rotterdam (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 117: 1972-05-13 Lille (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 118: 1972-05-16 Luxembourg (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 119: 1972-05-18 Munich (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 120: 1972-05-23 London (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 121: 1972-05-24 London (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 122: 1972-05-25 London (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 123: 1972-05-26 London (released 2011-09-01 on Europe '72: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 124: 1976-06-09 Boston (released 2011-11-01 on Road Trips 4.5)
    Week 125: 1977-05-25 Richmond (released 2012-02-01 on Dave's Picks 1)
    Week 126: 1974-07-31 Hartford (released 2012-05-01 on Dave's Picks 2)
    Week 127: 1971-10-22 Chicago (released 2012-08-01 on Dave's Picks 3)
    Week 128: 1990-03-16 Landover (released 2012-08-31 on Spring 1990)
    Week 129: 1990-03-19 Hartford (released 2012-08-31 on Spring 1990)
    Week 130: 1990-03-22 Hamilton (released 2012-08-31 on Spring 1990)
    Week 131: 1990-03-26 Albany (released 2012-08-31 on Spring 1990)
    Week 132: 1990-03-30 Uniondale (released 2012-08-31 on Spring 1990)
    Week 133: 1990-04-02 Atlanta (released 2012-08-31 on Spring 1990)
    Week 134: 1976-09-24 Williamsburg (released 2012-11-01 on Dave's Picks 4)
    Week 135: 1973-11-17 Los Angeles (released 2013-02-01 on Dave's Picks 5)
    Week 136: 1969-12-20, 21 San Francisco, 1970-02-02 St. Louis (released 2013-05-01 on Dave's Picks 6)
    Week 137: 1977-05-11 Saint Paul (released 2013-06-11 on May 1977)
    Week 138: 1977-05-12 Chicago (released 2013-06-11 on May 1977)
    Week 139: 1977-05-13 Chicago (released 2013-06-11 on May 1977)
    Week 140: 1977-05-15 St. Louis (released 2013-06-11 on May 1977)
    Week 141: 1977-05-17 Tuscaloosa (released 2013-06-11 on May 1977)
    Week 142: 1978-04-24 Normal (released 2013-08-01 on Dave's Picks 7)
    Week 143: 1972-08-27 Veneta (released 2013-09-13 on Sunshine Daydream)
    Week 144: 1980-11-30 Atlanta (released 2013-11-01 on Dave's Picks 8)
    Week 145: 1970-04-18 San Francisco (released 2013-11-29 on Family Dog at the Great Highway)
    Week 146: 1974-05-14 Missoula (released 2014-02-01 on Dave's Picks 9)
    Week 147: 1969-12-12 Los Angeles (released 2014-05-01 on Dave's Picks 10)
    Week 148: 1972-11-17 Wichita (released 2014-08-01 on Dave's Picks 11)
    Week 149: 1990-03-14 Landover (released 2014-09-09 on Spring 1990: The Other One)
    Week 150: 1990-03-18 Hartford (released 2014-09-09 on Spring 1990: The Other One)
    Week 151: 1990-03-21 Hamilton (released 2014-09-09 on Spring 1990: The Other One)
    Week 152: 1990-03-25 Albany (released 2014-09-09 on Spring 1990: The Other One)
    Week 153: 1990-03-28 Uniondale (released 2014-09-09 on Spring 1990: The Other One)
    Week 154: 1990-03-29 Uniondale (released 2014-09-09 on Spring 1990: The Other One)
    Week 155: 1990-04-01 Atlanta (released 2014-09-09 on Spring 1990: The Other One)
    Week 156: 1990-04-03 Atlanta (released 2014-09-09 on Spring 1990: The Other One)
    Week 157: 1977-11-04 San Francisco (released 2014-11-01 on Dave's Picks 12)
    Week 158: 1972-11-18 Houston (released 2014-11-08 on Houston, Texas 11-18-1972)
    Week 159: 1974-02-24 San Francisco (released 2015-02-01 on Dave's Picks 13)
    Week 160: 1972-03-26 New York (released 2015-05-01 on Dave's Picks 14)
    Week 161: 1978-04-22 Nashville (released 2015-08-01 on Dave's Picks 15)
    Week 162: 1973-03-28 Springfield (released 2015-11-01 on Dave's Picks 16)
    Week 163: 1966-07-03 San Francisco (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 164: 1967-11-10 Los Angeles (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 165: 1968-10-20 Berkeley (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 166: 1969-02-22 Vallejo (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 167: 1970-04-15 San Francisco (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 168: 1971-03-18 St. Louis (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 169: 1972-09-24 Waterbury (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 170: 1973-11-14 San Diego (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 171: 1974-09-18 Dijon (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 172: 1975-09-28 San Francisco (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 173: 1976-10-03 Detriot (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 174: 1977-04-25 Passaic (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 175: 1978-05-14 Providence (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 176: 1979-10-27 South Yarmouth (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 177: 1980-11-28 Lakeland (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 178: 1981-05-16 Ithaca (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 179: 1982-07-31 Austin (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 180: 1983-10-21 Worcester (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 181: 1984-10-12 Augusta (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 182: 1985-06-24 Cincinnati (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 183: 1986-05-03 Sacramento (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 184: 1987-09-18 New York (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 185: 1988-07-03 Oxford (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 186: 1989-10-26 Miami (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 187: 1990-10-27 Paris (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 188: 1991-09-10 New York (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 189: 1992-03-20 Hamilton (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 190: 1993-03-27 Albany (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 191: 1994-10-01 Boston (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 192: 1995-02-21 Salt Lake City (released 2015-11-07 on 30 Trips Around the Sun)
    Week 193: 1974-07-19 Fresno (released 2016-02-01 on Dave's Picks 17)
    Week 194: 1976-07-17 San Francisco (released 2016-05-01 on Dave's Picks 18)
    Week 195: 1978-07-01 Kansas City (released 2016-05-13 on July 1978: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 196: 1978-07-03 St. Paul (released 2016-05-13 on July 1978: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 197: 1978-07-05 Omaha (released 2016-05-13 on July 1978: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 198: 1978-07-07 Morrison (released 2016-05-13 on July 1978: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 199: 1978-07-78 Morrison (released 2016-05-13 on July 1978: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 200: 1970-01-23, 24 Honolulu (released 2016-08-01 on Dave's Picks 19)
    Week 201: 1981-12-09 Boulder (released 2016-11-01 on Dave's Picks 20)
    Week 202: 1966-07-29, 30 Vancouver (released 2017-01-03 on Grateful Dead 50th)
    Week 203: 1973-04-02 Boston (released 2017-02-01 on Dave's Picks 21)
    Week 204: 1971-12-07 New York (released 2017-05-01 on Dave's Picks 22)
    Week 205: 1977-05-05 New Haven (released 2017-05-05 on May 1977: Get Shown the Light)
    Week 206: 1977-05-07 Boston (released 2017-05-05 on May 1977: Get Shown the Light)
    Week 207: 1977-05-08 Ithaca (released 2017-05-05 on May 1977: Get Shown the Light)
    Week 208: 1977-05-09 Buffalo (released 2017-05-05 on May 1977: Get Shown the Light)
    Week 209: 1978-01-22 Eugene (released 2017-08-01 on Dave's Picks 23)
    Week 210: 1972-08-25 Berkeley (released 2017-11-01 on Dave's Picks 24)
    Week 211: 1989-07-12 Washington DC (released 2017-11-10 on Robert F. Kennedy Stadium, Washington, D.C)
    Week 212: 1989-07-13 Washington DC (released 2017-11-10 on Robert F. Kennedy Stadium, Washington, D.C)
    Week 213: 1977-11-06 Binghamton (released 2018-02-01 on Dave's Picks 25)
    Week 214: 1971-11-17 Albuquerque, 1971-12-14 Ann Arbor (released 2018-05-01 on Dave's Picks 26)
    Week 215: 1967-10-22 San Francisco (released 2018-07-13 on Anthem of the Sun 50th)
    Week 216: 1983-09-02 Boise (released 2018-08-01 on Dave's Picks 27)
    Week 217: 1973-06-22 Vancouver (released 2018-09-07 on Pacific Northwest '73–'74: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 218: 1973-06-24 Portland (released 2018-09-07 on Pacific Northwest '73–'74: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 219: 1973-06-26 Seattle (released 2018-09-07 on Pacific Northwest '73–'74: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 220: 1974-05-17 Vancouver (released 2018-09-07 on Pacific Northwest '73–'74: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 221: 1974-05-19 Portland (released 2018-09-07 on Pacific Northwest '73–'74: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 222: 1974-05-21 Seattle (released 2018-09-07 on Pacific Northwest '73–'74: The Complete Recordings)
    Week 223: 1976-06-17 Passaic (released 2018-11-01 on Dave's Picks 28)
    Week 224: 1977-02-26 San Bernardino (released 2019-02-01 on Dave's Picks 29)
    Week 225: 1980-10-09, 10 San Francisco (released 2019-04-03 on The Warfield, San Francisco, California)
    Week 226: 1970-01-02 New York (released 2019-05-01 on Dave's Picks 30)
    Week 227: 1969-01-24, 25, 26 San Francisco (released 2019-06-07 on Aoxomoa 50th)
    Week 228: 1979-12-03 Chicago (released 2019-08-01 on Dave's Picks 31)
    Week 229: 1987-07-12 East Rutherford (released 2019-09-07 on Giants Stadium 1987, 1989, 1991)
    Week 230: 1989-07-09 East Rutherford (released 2019-09-07 on Giants Stadium 1987, 1989, 1991)
    Week 231: 1989-07-10 East Rutherford (released 2019-09-07 on Giants Stadium 1987, 1989, 1991)
    Week 232: 1991-06-16 East Rutherford (released 2019-09-07 on Giants Stadium 1987, 1989, 1991)
    Week 233: 1991-06-17 East Rutherford (released 2019-09-07 on Giants Stadium 1987, 1989, 1991)
    Week 234: 1973-03-24 Philadelphia (released 2019-11-01 on Dave's Picks 32)
    Week 235: Various 1992-1995 (released 2019-11-22 on Ready or Not)
    Week 236: 1977-10-29 Dekalb (released 2020-02-01 on Dave's Picks 33)
    Week 237: 1976-06-10 Boston (released 2020-03-20 on June 1976)
    Week 238: 1976-06-11 Boston (released 2020-03-20 on June 1976)
    Week 239: 1976-06-14 New York (released 2020-03-20 on June 1976)
    Week 240: 1976-06-15 New York (released 2020-03-20 on June 1976)
    Week 241: 1976-06-19 Passaic (released 2020-03-20 on June 1976)
    Week 242: 1974-06-23 Miami (released 2020-05-01 on Dave's Picks 34)
    Week 243: 1971-02-21 Port Chester (released 2020-07-10 on Workingman's Dead 50th)
    Week 244: 1984-04-20 Philadelphia (released 2020-08-01 on Dave's Picks 35)
    Week 245: 1971-02-18 Port Chester (released 2020-10-30 on American Beauty 50th)
    Week 246: 1987-03-26 Hartford (released 2020-11-01 on Dave's Picks 36)
    Week 247: 1987-03-27 Hartford (released 2020-11-01 on Dave's Picks 36)
    Week 248: 1978-04-15 Williamsburg, 1978-04-18 Pittsburgh (released 2021-02-01 on Dave's Picks 37)
    Week 249: 1973-09-07 Uniondale (released 2021-05-01 on Dave's Picks 38)
    Week 250: 1973-09-08 Uniondale (released 2021-05-01 on Dave's Picks 38)
    Week 251: 1971-07-02 San Francisco (released 2021-06-25 on Skull & Roses 50th)
    Week 252: 1983-04-26 Philadelphia (released 2021-08-01 on Dave's Picks 39)
    Week 253: 1971-12-09 St. Louis (released 2021-10-01 on Listen to the River)
    Week 254: 1971-12-10 St. Louis (released 2021-10-01 on Listen to the River)
    Week 255: 1972-10-17 St. Louis (released 2021-10-01 on Listen to the River)
    Week 256: 1972-10-18 St. Louis (released 2021-10-01 on Listen to the River)
    Week 257: 1972-10-19 St. Louis (released 2021-10-01 on Listen to the River)
    Week 258: 1973-10-29 St. Louis (released 2021-10-01 on Listen to the River)
    Week 259: 1973-10-30 St. Louis (released 2021-10-01 on Listen to the River)

Woodville, ARK, adamos and 12 others like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Quite a list. Whatever is announced next will take us to the end of year 5 of this thread. (And I know you don't want to cover RSD LP-only or Download-only releases, but that could tack on another 4-5 months or so...)

ARK, superstar19, Spazros and 2 others like this.
  22. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

So Many Roads - Fourteen years after Biograph, The Dead finally get around to the pocket history/rarities box set.

Disc 1 fits the basic brief for this kind of thing. There is a sketch of their early development, starting with a pair of recordings for Autumn Records, but there are significant holes in the coverage of '67-68, missing the awesome, dynamic force of the band, what really makes the Dead so special, in that period. Just from what's here, you get the idea that if the band had broken up sometime in 1968, they wouldn't be of much interest to anyone but a few guys who are really into The Blues Project. And that's an absolute disservice.

I guess that I just don't need six tracks from '65-66 to set up their story, when a relatively small portion of the set is dedicated to the '60s. And although the 3/16/68 "Dark Star>China Cat>Eleven" is interesting if you're tracking the development of "Dark Star>Eleven" sequences, there are more impressive "Dark Star" performances from later in the year. I realize that "Clementine" is something of a rarity, but there are more interesting pieces from the Jan-Feb "Quick and the Dead" tour, too.

I'd prefer that they had filled the better part of Disc 2 with more '60s material, at least, and cut the '80s/'90s down to just one disc.

The late-period selections aren't necessarily bad, some of the tracks are interesting, even pretty good, but how much of it is essential or special? (I'll give you the "Bird Song" with Branford; everyone likes that.) It generally does feel like a decline from the jams on Discs 2-3. If they were hoping to show that the Dead in their late peak of popularity were just as vital as ever before, well, I'm afraid that they missed the mark again. I realize that they wanted to present a balanced history, they wanted to include some Brent songs and some '90s songs that didn't make it onto an album. Hearing Jerry having some fun with a half-remembered "Whiskey in a Jar" in a '93 rehearsal is enjoyable, too. But, setting aside half the box for the Brent/Vince eras, and most of that featuring tracks from the late '80s and '90s, is not showing the band in the best light.

23. Al Gator

Somebody else is welcome to lead that discussion when the time comes, but first we have to make it there...

Crispy Rob and superstar19 like this.
  24. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Week 243: 1971-02-21 Port Chester (released 2020-07-10 on Workingman's Dead 50th)

Could you please PM me in 2125 to remind me?

ARK, superstar19 and notesofachord like this.
  25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Five Years

[​IMG]

ARK, Al Gator and Crispy Rob like this.