Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For those who track such things, this was the first show after the infamous "horns" tour of September.

ARK, uzn007, trd and 3 others like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

You mean as an encore? Dave’s Picks #38 has it in that slot.

Crazy Otto and Al Gator like this.
  3. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Ah right, forgot about that one.

SJR likes this.
  4. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks great review. Wonderful DP release one of my favourites and I liked the lightning bolt covers.

trd and Al Gator like this.
  5. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

Wow, I thought there would be more buzz around this release :). Anyway here are mine 2 cents (based on older notes):

Dick's Picks Vol. 19: Fairgrounds Arena, Oklahoma City, OK, 10/19/73

Substantial part of the first set is lackluster. Nothing really wrong here, but for me most of the renditions are too ordinary, and combined with poorer sound quality (foremost at the beginning of the set) this gives the first set rather sleepy quality. I ain't too fond of song selection either, or at least not of this running order. Highlights are Don't Ease Me In, They Love Each Other, Row Jimmy and PITB. In fact the set for me really picks up from Don't Ease Me In.

It is the sublime second set that probably makes this pick essential. Set list is much to my preference, and also sound/mix quality got better. What a better way to start an epic set than China > Rider combo? This is very dynamic version, with great interplay between all the members. Also contained is blissful feelin' groovy jam. Overall this is a classic rendition. MAMU is energetic and Half-Step is marvelous. There are better Big rivers to be found than this though. Then Dark Star > Mind Left Body > Morning Dew follow... Can anything go wrong with this combo in 1973? The band first wanders a bit through Dark star, trying to lock in the groove, but overall it is a nice rendition. They get totally in the zone from the verse onward. Phil is very prominent throughout and you know this is always good! MLB jam is sublime. Listen to Keith with the Chick Corea style Rhodes at the end of MLB jam, while Jerry is shredding – something very unique indeed. Morning Dew is perfectly executed: quiet parts are painfully delicate and gentle, and peaks go through the roof, with Phil romping HARD. You know you're going to get some hairs raised. Sugar Magnolia ultra-energetic and over the top. Bob and Donna are in perfect harmony. They could easily end the show here, but no, three more high energy renditions follow: Eyes with mind blowing outro jam that dissolves perfectly into deeply soulful and dynamic Stella Blue – what a great combo this is! Johnny B. Goode ends the show on a high energy note with Jerry killing it on a guitar – you can just feel that all band is having a blast.

Overall I can't give this pick the highest mark because of the average first set, but consistently brilliant, or shall I say, a spectacular second set, makes this release essential and represents classic Dead at its best.

Overall rating: 4/5

Spazros, Driver8, OhioHead and 14 others like this.
  6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Ladies and Gentlemen The Grateful Dead

Once upon a pool table and twice in the shed, I held this CD in my hand at 2nd and Charles and...I let it slip away.

(Now that I think about it, I might've had this and Two from the Vault in my hands and went with the latter for pricing reasons.)

I've been attempting to acquire it ever since.

ARK, CybrKhatru, Spazros and 3 others like this.
  7. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

It's 35 bucks on Discogs.

uzn007 and mBen989 like this.
  8. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I picked up Dick's Picks Vol. 19 last year and I felt like it was one of the best '73 shows I'd heard in terms of setlist/playing and sound quality. I think it's one of the important Dick's Picks, like the one that came right before it. 18 and 19 are both crucial.

Spazros, adamos, jgrillo and 8 others like this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I taped the Dark Star->Morning Dew from the Grateful Dead Hour in 1993. It was great of course, but made me less interested in tracking down the full show on that DP.

Al Gator likes this.
  10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

For the record, DiP 19 is the show that prompted this hilarious 1-star review on Am*zon:

I attended this show. Horrible and BORING. Only deadheads would drink the kool-aid and believe this was anything more than trivial drug-induced noodling. Quit attempting to appear cool and wake up. These guys are the most over-rated performers in music history next to Thag banging on dried out tree stumps in his cave in Mesopotamia.

Of course as Crispy Rob duly pointed out, the band was able to turn on a dime more easily in the one-stump era.

MonkeyLizard, ARK, Spazros and 17 others like this.
  11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Someone doesn't like licorice.

12. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

possibly one of the same reviewers quoted here?

ARK, CybrKhatru, MHam and 3 others like this.
  13. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I think the Dark Star and the Alligator (on L&G) are both exceptional versions, partly because they're so unique. They're not the longest or the most far-out version of either, but they cook from start to finish.

adamos, Burningfool, Al Gator and 8 others like this.
  14. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Back in snowy Wormtown in early January 1982, I was hanging with a new friend in his apartment on Winter break (one can only spend so much time at home as an 18-year old), sorting through his tape collection and he put on the Alligator jam from L&G and I said "Stop it right there and back it up; I've got an XL-II in my pocket and I need this right away." I was prepared to get on the bus, although, in fairness, he had alerted me to bring a blank or two. Fortunately, I heeded his advice. That Alligator jam is really top-shelf stuff. And I love the way Phil closes it out with a really simple yet perfect pregnant pause into GDTRFB (he plays the riff down to the B (V), but never plays the resolution to E and Jerry fills it in by starting Road). Addition by subtraction is an over-looked skill.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    MonkeyLizard, ARK, Spazros and 13 others like this.
  15. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

This set is great and serves as a perfect introduction to the band for new fans. Serving up slices of some PigPen era classics intertwined with early versions of newer songs that would become concerts staples. The sound quality is superb and the songs selected are all high quality.

Disc One: Truckin' kicks off the fantastic "Set I" disc and includes such highlights as Bird Song, a rare Dark Hollow, I Second the Emotion, and a stellar Cumberland Blues.

Disc Two: another "Set I" disc Loser, King Bee, Ripple, and a rousing version of Me & Bobby McGee are my favorites from this disc. The Uncle John's Band>Lovelight combo to end the disc (and "set") is pretty cool.

Disc Three: This "Set II" discs starts with a great China>Rider, Hurts Me Too is great as is Sing Me Back Home. Hard to Handle is a treat, but the disc ends with a solid run of Dark Star>St Stephen>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA

Disc Four: More excellent "Set II" material - the Morning Dew is sublime, Wharf Rat is exceptional, but the Alligator>Drums>Jam>GDTRFB>Cold Rain & Snow is such a unique collection of songs. The band rips through Casey Jones and then Bill Graham rips into fans for chanting for "more, more, more" before the encore. This set ends with a great Midnight Hour>And We Bid You Goodnight.

I listened to this release a lot when it came out (21 years ago???) and found so much to love about this release then. Listening again this past week, it was still a fantastic listen with uniques songs, concise jams, and all around solid playing.

16. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

I just don't get round to listening to the Dead as much as I'd like. So I only had one playthrough so far, and I'm liking what I'm hearing. Far from being an expert, this might be my favourite 73 show. The jams feel so concise, time flies by.

17. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

This wasn't an automatic purchase, when it was released. I waited on it and scooped it up when Dick's Picks started to become harder to find. It's a 1973 show, which means we are in for a decent listen.

Disc One: Set One is solid, No major highlights for me on the first disc, but I always love Sugaree, Tennessee Jed, Jack Straw, and Row Jimmy. Don't Ease Me In and They Love Each Other are nice treats too.

Disc Two: Set One ends with a jazzy Playin' in the Band - at about 18min there is plenty of time for the band to strut their stuff. China>Rider kids off Set II and it's delightful. The other highlight of this disc is a fantastic Mississippi Half Step.

Disc Three: Basically you should hear DiP19 for this disc. Dark Star>Mind Left Body jam>Morning Dew - Dark Star itself is about 15min long and delivers on all levels before it develops into a MindLeftBody jam. Things start to get weird and when the time is right, they break into an epic AM Dew. Don't discount the romping Sugar Magnolia. We get 2 encores and the first is a spectacular Eyes of the World>Stella Blue.

I like this release. It's not one that I spent a lot of time with, but was enjoyable to revisit. A solid PITB, the China>Rider, Dark Star>Mind Left Body jam>Am Dew, and Eyes of the World>Stella Blue make this set most fans will want to hear.

18. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I don't understand why I didn't buy 19 back in the early aughts when I was buying Dicks Picks direct from the Dead. I was after the dirty stuff; Dark->Eyes, long Playing jazz jams. You know, the good stuff. I grabbed 1, 12 and 31 but missed this one.

19. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

Clickable thread guide

List of releases

By Release Date
    By Concert Date
    This week: 1976-09-25 Landover (released 2001-01-23 on Dick's Picks 20)

Next week: 1976-09-28 Syracuse (released 2001-01-23 on Dick's Picks 20)

20. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Dick's Picks Volume 20

Recording date: September 25, 1976
    Recording location: Capital Centre, Landover, MD
    Release date: January 23, 2001
    Recorded by: Dan Healy

Disc 1
    First set:
    1. "Bertha" (Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter) – 5:27
    2. "New Minglewood Blues" (Noah Lewis) – 4:49
    3. "Ramble On Rose" (Garcia, Hunter) – 7:11
    4. "Cassidy" (Bob Weir, John Barlow) – 4:43
    5. "Brown-Eyed Woman" (Garcia, Hunter) – 4:56
    6. "Mama Tried" (Merle Haggard) – 2:49
    7. "Peggy-O" (trad., arr. Grateful Dead) – 9:41
    8. "Loser" (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:18
    9. "Let It Grow" (Weir, Barlow) – 12:26
    10. "Sugaree" (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:01
    11. Second set: "Lazy Lightning" -> (Weir, Barlow) – 2:53
    12. "Supplication" (Weir, Barlow) – 4:37
    Disc 2
    1. "Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo" (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:28
    2. "Dancing in the Street" -> (Marvin Gaye, Ivy Jo Hunter, William "Mickey" Stevenson) – 12:43
    3. "Cosmic Charlie" (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:39
    4. "Scarlet Begonias" (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:07
    5. "St. Stephen" -> (Garcia, Phil Lesh, Hunter) – 4:12
    6. "Not Fade Away" -> (Norman Petty, Charles Hardin) – 9:57
    7. "Drums" -> (Hart, Kreutzmann) – 3:34
    8. "Jam" -> (Grateful Dead) – 2:05
    9. "St. Stephen" -> (Garcia, Lesh, Hunter) – 2:03
    10. "Sugar Magnolia" (Weir, Hunter) – 9:40
    The second Pick to contain two (mostly-complete) shows, Dick’s Picks Volume 20 visits the previously ignored year of 1976. The first show is from Landover, Maryland, near Washington DC, the same venue as the Terrapin Limited release (I think the first venue that had two releases drawn from its concerts). As with Dick’s Picks 14, we’ll cover each of the concerts separately; next week we’ll cover the September 28 Syracuse concert.

The show starts in a good way with a strong Bertha, with Keith is in fine form. Jerry lays down some great leads in Minglewood, and his solo in Ramble On Rose is short but sweet; in fact he lays down an excellent solo in just about every song in this first set, and even the short songs like Mama Tried are worth hearing. Loser is solid but not spectacular.

Let It Grow has some nice band work, and the first set doesn’t end there but concludes with Sugaree. This is a stunning version, where the whole band is playing as one, feeding off each other, and a highlight of the release. (It’s All Over Now followed Peggy-O but isn’t here.)

The second set starts with a fairly typical reading of Lazy Lightnin’>Supplication. Keith plays a prominent part in a fine Mississippi Half-Step (which sounds to me as if it has a patch near the end). Dancing in the Street has a great jam in the middle before it goes into its standard disco ending.

This leads to a slow Cosmic Charlie; it sounds like Jerry’s playing some slide at the beginning and it fits perfectly. Next up is a standalone Scarlet with lots of tasty Jerry leads. Finally it’s time for a St. Stephen sandwich, again with great playing from Jerry; the filling is a lively and reasonably wide-ranging Not Fade Away. This segues directly into Sugar Magnolia, making me wonder why the latter is listed as an encore in the setlist sites.

This show isn’t full of the famous ‘76 segues here; it’s mostly individual songs or an occasional couple of songs played together. And while it won’t make new 1976 fans, there are enough well-played sequences here to make it a very enjoyable listen. It’s quietly grown on me over the years.

Sound quality is fairly good but it’s no Betty Board, and it’s a little lacking in bass and high frequency definition. I think the lightning-bolt cover is one of the prettiest of the series. There are a few live photos included, and an old letter from a fan suggesting a mail-order live album series.

Of course, Dick’s Picks 20 included a second show from a few days later, which we’ll cover next week...

21. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I've missed so many Archival releases over the years, and I know I'll never have all of them...so I look for them out in the wild, and sometimes they show up at decent prices. Looks like I gotta add 18 and 19 to my list!

And I LOVE Ladies and Gentlemen.... soooo good.

ODShowtime, Spazros, Gollum and 4 others like this.
  22. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Cosmic Charlie is always a treat

SJR, adamos, trd and 4 others like this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, at the "across the Rio Grande-oo" part there is a change in the mix that is noticeable if you listen on headphones. According to the DP20 Wiki page the patch is from 10/9/76, which would be released later in the series.

Unlike most GD tours up through mid 1978, this short fall '76 tour was recorded using the P.A. mix rather than a separate recording mix. The tapes are more balanced than many similarly recorded 80's tapes, but sound a bit flat and dull compared to Betty's tapes from earlier in the year.

Gollum, SJR, sparkmeister and 4 others like this.
  24. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Dick’s Picks 20, Part 1: Cap Centre, Landover, MD 9/25/76

DiP 20 marks the first official release from 1976, a year that had always mystified me a bit. What few tapes I’d heard hadn’t blown me away; the setlists were interesting, but several versions of songs I loved crawled along at a glacial pace and the performances often sounded too loose and a bit sloppy to my ears. Was this what all of ‘76 sounded like? That was the nagging question when this came out, and the answer is, as always in GD-world, nuanced and can’t really be fully articulated until we hit the second show in this release next week.

Notes & Highlights:
    • Sound is good, no real complaints here. It doesn’t approach the quality of the June ‘76 box, but then again, I wouldn’t expect it to given its provenance.

• The first set is the better one for me: it's well-played throughout with no noticeable slop, although those tempo issues come up at times. The opening Bertha is a hot one and Ramble On Rose and Peggy-O, while slow, are emotional readings; Loser is less effective at this pace. Let It Grow, a song I usually associate with the end of the set, is more on the mellow and exploratory side, but they deliver an unexpected twist, dropping an glorious Sugaree before the break.
    • The second set is up and down. Lazy Lightning > Supplication is the definition of a lame opener but the Half-Step is beautifully rendered. Some of us discussed this Dancin’ in the main thread, but it bears repeating here: it’s fascinating how differently Jerry approaches the disco version without the Mutron. I personally prefer the added funk the effect brings with it -- both in the sound and his approach -- but this is still a very good performance with some fine soloing. The last-ever Cosmic Charlie (sad face) is perfect and I almost always love what they do with a standalone Scarlet; as it is here, the outro tends to be a bit hotter when it doesn’t segue into Fire. The set-closing St. Stephen > NFA sandwich looks good on paper, but I find it to be relatively unexceptional. It’s fine, but it's pretty tame and doesn't really grab me.
    This show has some nice performances, but is clearly inferior to the companion concert from Syracuse, which we’ll hit next week. I'd also put it well down the list in terms of subsequently released ‘76 material; much of the June ‘76 box, the Cow Palace New Years show and relevant Dave’s Picks are significantly more interesting and downright better to my ears. It's good, but not really essential.

Driver8, Spazros, Skylab and 9 others like this.
  25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I often am disappointed with Let it Grow in 1976, although some have that little drum break and then things can get really good.

I don't recall anything about the first show, I'll look for it in my notes when I am feeling less lackadaisical, but I love the 2nd set on the 2nd show.

EDIT: sorry, dear reader--you can put that in your pocket for next week....

Gollum, Crazy Otto, trd and 2 others like this.