Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

I've really got to pay more attention to the various sources of information so I can post more accurate posts for each show! In this case that mix change stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb on my main system's speakers.

At least I've got all of you to keep me honest, and that's good :) I love to learn new stuff.

superstar19, Crazy Otto and trd like this.
  2. Al Gator

This is very much my reaction, and while it's grown on me, it's not one I come back to a lot. In retrospect it's a surprising first '76 show to release.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I guess they figured not many fans had tapes from this tour, while the June tour had several radio broadcasts and several of the best tapes may not have been in the vault before the ABCD deal.

4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Ha, I don't know....it usually sounds to me like they're barely hanging on when they play that.....sometimes I enjoy it, though....

uzn007, GuitarStrangler and Al Gator like this.
  5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Just posted in The Grateful Thread—spookily this Pick/show falls on my “on this day” listening.

(Half of) Dick’s Picks #20 — Capital Centre, Landover, MD, 25/09/76.

Though it’s not quite on par with the sublime and exceptional-sounding June 1976 box, this is a good-sounding, all-round smooth and sweet show; although I prefer the other half of the Pick. Again, it has that relaxed and laidback, cool ‘76 vibe and feel. Whilst there’s nothing that really stands out, it’s a solid and enjoyable listen. Lovely jubbly!

The girls totally dominate in the 1st set; as there’s very pretty versions of Bertha, Ramble On Rose, Cassidy, Brown-Eyed Women, Peggy-O and Sugaree—all beautiful in their own way; along with a dash of Bobby’s testosterone-charged, cool-struttin’, swaggering New Minglewood Blues; and a deep and intensely jammy Let It Grow.

The whole 2nd set is slow and steady, and whilst they don’t really get out of first gear, and there’s no real fireworks, it’s still one quite excellent, superbly played sequence—funky and groovy in equal measure, it flows wonderfully; Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Dancing In The Street > the last ever Cosmic Charlie (why?); a superb, all-timer standalone Scarlet Begonias—the highlight of the set; and a mellow-cool, rock ‘n’ rollin’ closing St. Stephen > Not Fade Away > Drums > Jam > St. Stephen > Sugar Magnolia has some smooth and neat jamming.

Blissful. The perfect soundtrack to a chilled-out Saturday morning.

“One man gathers what another man spills. Yes, he does” . . .

I: Bertha, New Minglewood Blues, Ramble On Rose, Cassidy, Brown-Eyed Women, Mama Tried, Peggy-O, It’s All Over Now*, Loser, Let It Grow, Sugaree.

II: Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Dancing In The Street > Cosmic Charlie, Scarlet Begonias, St. Stephen > Not Fade Away > Drums > Jam > St. Stephen > Sugar Magnolia.

*missing from this Pick.

MonkeyLizard, ARK, Skylab and 4 others like this.
  6. Al Gator

LOL, it's still several hours until 9/25 for me. You're way ahead!

SJR likes this.
  7. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

SJR's time zone is frequently a source of humour in The Grateful Thread.

8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I’m here to entertain :righton:

9. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Don't give up your day job.o_O

ianuaditis, Crazy Otto, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

[​IMG]

ARK, ianuaditis, Spazros and 4 others like this.
  11. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Keep your "g'day" job....

ARK, ianuaditis, CybrKhatru and 5 others like this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

[​IMG]

ARK, uzn007, ianuaditis and 6 others like this.
  14. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Dick's Picks 20, Part 1, 9/25/76.

First time listening to this one as will be the case for most of the rest of Dicks. First CD was one of those sets that had me asking myself if I liked it multiple times. Band was tight but they lacked energy. Everything seemed slower and loping along although I did enjoy the slower Loser. Second set brought this up from "meh" to "Ooh". Lazy Lightning did nothing for me but Miss 1/2 Step started the ball rolling on the "good stuff", enjoyed the last Cosmic Charlie quite a bit, and then the fun hit for me as I felt the energy went up without losing the "tightness" throughout the rest of the show. I don't know enough about 1976 (YET, the box is waiting for me) to say whether this is essential or not but I am looking forward to the second show this week. Cheers to all you Heads. Fall is great. Great listening weather.

superstar19, SJR, Gollum and 3 others like this.
  15. Al Gator

Clickable thread guide

List of releases

By Release Date
    By Concert Date
    This week: 1976-09-28 Syracuse (released 2001-01-23 on Dick's Picks 20)

Next week: 1985-11-01 Richmond (released 2001-03-20 on Dick's Picks 21)

superstar19 and frightwigwam like this.
  16. Al Gator

[​IMG]

Dick's Picks Volume 20 (Discs 3 & 4)

Recording date: September 28, 1976
    Recording location: Onondaga County War Memorial, Syracuse, NY
    Release date: January 23, 2001
    Recorded by: Dan Healy

Disc 3
    First set:
    1. "Cold Rain and Snow" (trad., arr. Grateful Dead) – 6:36
    2. "Big River" (Johnny Cash) – 5:55
    3. "Cassidy" (Weir, Barlow) – 4:33
    4. "Tennessee Jed" (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:37
    5. "New Minglewood Blues" (Lewis) – 6:06
    6. "Candyman" (Garcia, Hunter) – 7:25
    7. "It's All Over Now" (Bobby Womack, Shirley Jean Womack) – 6:40
    8. "Friend of the Devil" (Garcia, John Dawson, Hunter) – 8:44
    9. "Let It Grow" -> (Weir, Barlow) – 11:41
    10. "Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad" (trad., arr. Grateful Dead) – 9:14
    Disc 4
    Second set:
    1. "Playing in the Band" -> (Weir, Hart, Hunter) – 10:40
    2. "The Wheel" -> (Garcia, Hunter) – 7:07
    3. "Samson and Delilah" -> (trad., arr. Weir) – 8:01
    4. "Jam" -> (Grateful Dead) – 5:40
    5. "Comes a Time" -> (Garcia, Hunter) – 7:50
    6. "Drums" -> (Hart, Kreutzmann) – 4:58
    7. "Eyes of the World" -> (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:39
    8. "Orange Tango Jam" -> (Grateful Dead) – 4:46
    9. "Dancing in the Street" -> (Gaye, I.J. Hunter, Stevenson) – 9:15
    10. "Playing in the Band" (Weir, Hart, Hunter) – 5:06
    11. Encore: "Johnny B. Goode" (Chuck Berry) – 4:33
    The second Dick’s Picks 20 show is from Syracuse and the first set feels similar to the Landover concert. We start with a lively Cold Rain and Snow, while Keith is a star in Big River. Bertha followed Big River but didn’t make the cut for the release, probably because the version from three days earlier was included in the first show. We get a typical-but-good Jerry solo in Tennessee Jed and he really digs into an awesome version of Minglewood Blues.

But it’s the last three songs that make this set special. Friend of the Devil is superb, lyrical yet intense. Phil is a monster in Let It Grow, and the little jam at the end is most enjoyable. Instead of ending they keep playing (led by Phil) and find their way into an unexpected Goin’ Down the Road, a great example of the unexpected twists 1976 concerts could take. It’s a great way to finish the set, and feels more like the end of a second set.

The second set is classic ‘76, full of twists, turns, and segues. We start with a spacey Playing in the Band. This segues into a slow Wheel, typical for the era. A short ending jam leads into the powerful rhythms of Samson and Delilah, a complete change of pace.

An inventive jam follows, and then a gorgeous version of Comes a Time. More than once Drums sounds like it’s going to turn into Dancing, but it doesn’t; instead Eyes of the World starts up, a rather rushed version. The highlight is the Orange Tango jam at the end, with an unusual rhythm, lots of percussion, and wonderful leads from Jerry.

Finally we get that Dancing; it’s got some nice jamming in the middle but the end goes on just a little too long. A Playing reprise rounds out this set, one that’s a fun listen.

Sound quality is similar to the other show on DP20; not spectacular, but quite listenable. Most bands would kill to have live recordings like this from their tours.

While I enjoy Dick’s Picks 20 (especially the second show), it’s not a key release for me, and it’s certainly not one I’d recommend as an early purchase for a new fan. In many ways it’s been supplanted by subsequent releases from 1976. But it certainly has its pleasures for the more deadicated collector.

17. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Dick’s Picks 20, Part 2: 9/28/76 - Onondaga War Memorial, Syracuse, NY

Ok so here we go with the second show included in DiP 20, which is significantly more interesting than the companion concert from Landover.

Notes & Highlights:
    • The first set isn’t quite as hot as Landover, but there are some fine performances here nonetheless. Tennessee Jed is nice and twangy, Candyman is perfect and features that gorgeous trademark tremelo/chorus/etc. solo. They come into the break hot, with a rare and rocking pairing of Let It Grow > GDTRFB that hints at what’s to come.

• Any second set composed entirely of Playin’ > lots of other stuff > Playin’ is bound to be a corker, and that holds true here: it’s a 70+ minute monster of uninterrupted music. Playin’ mostly stays in the same lane with not much out-of-the-box exploration, but it’s still engaging with some nice rhodes from Keith and great interplay. Out of that comes Wheel, which features a cool extended outro jam with a patient and seamless transition into Samson. A brief Playin’ jam follows and slows down to go into an emotional Comes A Time, one of my favorite Jerry ballads from this era.

• A brief drum segment leads us into the back half of the set, kicked off by a very brisk Eyes; it’s a little too fast for my taste, but is nonetheless well executed. Yet another jam emerges from Eyes, and it’s unlike anything I’ve heard them do before -- a little latin, a little eastern, and a deliberate groove leaving lots of space for everyone to do their thing...a real joy to listen to. I definitely didn’t see Dancin’ coming out of it, and the transition is maybe the only brief awkward moment in the whole set. This one isn’t as long or as interesting as the one from 9/25, but it still delivers a good time before circling back to the Playin’ reprise that closes the set.
    This is the show that turned on the ‘76 lightbulb for me, with the second set showcasing just what the band was capable of that year: diverse, malleable and well-played setlists sprinkled with patient and exploratory transitional jams, all delivered with a loose and laid-back vibe. I still have issues with the tempos and occasional slop at times and it’s more of a “have to be in the mood” kind of year for me, but the great ‘76 shows like this one are truly compelling experiences.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For this second set it's worth hearing the audience recording as in the SBD some of the transition from "Playing" to "The Wheel" has been lost. On the CD they crossfaded in the drum intro of "The Wheel" from a different show (10/1/76 according to Wiki).

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

^^ Photo of the show shared recently by Bob Minkin Photography through his Instagram/Facebook feeds. Weir with his first beard, which I guess he had until circa June 1977.

21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

ARK, Spazros and Gollum like this.
  22. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The super-speedy Eyes of the World from 9/28/76 is quite a rush. I recommend using the tempo to set the speed on your treadmill. Lose an extra three pounds by the end of the week! :winkgrin:

ARK, Spazros, superstar19 and 3 others like this.
  23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Good timing, as I just posted this earlier in the week you know where

(The other half of) Dick’s Picks #20 — Onondaga County War Memorial, Syracuse, NY, 28/09/76.

Another stellar ‘76 show with a very strong 1st set. It’s all great but in particular, the opening and closing songs; I love a Cold Rain And Snow opener, there’s such a cool-relaxed vibe and groove to this one; a delightful Friend Of The Devil is sweet and gooey, jammy perfection; and a blazin’ hot, ferocious set-closer Let It Grow > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad—I don’t think I’ve ever heard this combo anywhere else(?), it has monster Phil-bombs aplenty, sizzling jamming and a wondrous transition—it’s wild, and it’s cookin’!

The whole 2nd set is as good as it gets and quite frankly, ridiculously high-energy, with one huge and fantastic non-stop jam sequence of Playing In The Band > The Wheel > Samson And Delilah > Jam > Comes A Time > Drums > Eyes Of The World > Orange Tango Jam > Dancing In The Street > Playing In The Band.

All woven around a mega PITB sandwich, everything is turbo-charged and played super fast, with some blink-and-you’ll-miss-‘em, effortlessly seamless transitions and jams; hang on tight and set controls to warp-speed for an absolutely blistering Eyes Of The World;
    the quite stunning Orange Tango Jam that follows, sounds like a far-distant cousin of Spanish Jam—it has a wonderfully jazzy and mystical vibe, and is worth discovering—this sequence within a sequence is the show highlight.

A trip.

I: Cold Rain And Snow, Big River, Bertha*, Cassidy, Tennessee Jed, New Minglewood Blues, Candyman, It’s All Over Now, Friend Of The Devil, Let It Grow > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad.

II: Playing In The Band > The Wheel > Samson And Delilah > Jam > Comes A Time > Drums > Eyes Of The World > Orange Tango Jam > Dancing In The Street > Playing In The Band.

E: Johnny B. Goode.

*missing from this Pick.

Driver8, Spazros, superstar19 and 4 others like this.
  24. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Haven’t dug into DP 20 too deeply over the years, but easily my favorite of the Dicks Picks cover art!

25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Tina Carpenter who I knew well from Dead tour did the cover art for Dick's Picks 19-24, not coincidentally my favorite artwork in the series.

Spazros, superstar19, Gollum and 7 others like this.