Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Oh wow, I thought you went to Dead shows in the late-80’s/early-90’s. Though, that doesn’t matter. You’re a fountain of knowledge and (you know) I dig you, man.

Al Gator and notesofachord like this.
  2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Better late than never.

3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ha! I was more baffled by its enormous popularity. Though, the 2nd set is the obvious answer.

There’s nothing wrong with the show—I did say that I did dig it. :cool: I prefer those earlier Hampton shows, and even that later Miami show just a little more.

4. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Brent's keyboard (piano) sounds is also a bit of a differentiator. His early 80s sounds weren't as good and the soundboard recordings are straight FOH where his keys tended to be higher in the mix since they had no stage volume. By the late 80s sampling technology got better so his piano patches were better. In the late 80's Healy/Pearson also developed the Utramatrix approach where mics at the mix location where time-delayed and mixed in with the straight SBD to get a more balanced recording. Plus many of the 89-90 shows were recorded multitrack for Without A Net.

sparkmeister, Crazy Otto, ARK and 4 others like this.
  5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Same. The last time I listened to 10-16-89, the Dark Star was better than I remembered, but it is kind of short, and I just never had the urge to go back to this one that often. I think the Miami show is the one I listened to the most out of the fall "Dark Star" shows, and once 3/30/90 rolled around, that was the only "modern" Dark Star I wanted to listen to (and 7-12-90 a few months later).

6. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

For me, the earlier years are about the dramatic change he brought to the sound, including the energey and vocals. The shows in 1979 and 1980 are joyful blasts.

The mid-Brent years have a maddening inconsistency; frankly, the playing is frequently less interesting to me, and Jerry too often relied on well-trodden paths. That said, there are plenty of gems to be found, and in particular 1985 had a real adventurousness to it at times.

But after the coma, something changed. When the band came back there was a renewed sense of joy and the shows had an extra level of fun. The band was tight and Jerry was fully engaged.

Then in the summer of 1989 (arguably a little earlier), something magical occurred. The band gained an improvisational flair that had been missing for many years. Songs like Bird Song and Playing in the Band started to open up and flow again. In the fall of '89 several old classics that hadn't been played in many years found their way back to the setlists. And those shows, from Hampton '89 through the summer of '90, are the peak of the Brent years to me, and IMO one of the band's best periods ever. And it certainly helps that many of these shows were recorded on multitrack and have amazing-sounding releases.

j4yheindeo, CybrKhatru, markp and 9 others like this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

3-29

uzn007, Al Gator, Crazy Otto and 2 others like this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. Or something like that.

9. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

When I was working at home last year due to COVID, I spent a ton of time online picking up Dick's Picks from Discogs or Real Gone. I sort of set a "ceiling" of 50 dollars a show and have picked up a good many. Interestingly, even though this Pick was "reissued" by Real Gone Music, it tends to run about 20-30 dollars outside of my price range. So it's still on the "list."

ODShowtime, elsanto, Al Gator and 3 others like this.
  10. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Agree with everything that's been said about this so far...I would also add that later on he used a wider variety of sounds (which he would often use simultaneously) and had a generally brighter and more shimmery sound.

trd, Al Gator and sparkmeister like this.
  11. Crazy Otto

I think this is referring to the Rhodes he used so much early on...he stopped using it sometime in the early '80s, maybe in '82?

Al Gator likes this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In '82 Brent had the Yamaha Electric Grand which I think was the most Keith-like sound he had. I understand it was so heavy that after a while the roadies refused to carry it.

13. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

If I listened to Nightfall of Diamonds often enough, I should remember that the show gets off to a better start for me if I skip "Picasso Moon." Just take off from "Mississippi Half-Step" and "Feel Like a Stranger." Actually, I could do without the other two new songs in the first set ("Never Trust a Woman" and "Built to Last"), too. But otherwise the band is in good form, and the "Deal" cooks. The second set "Dark Star > Playin'" sandwich doesn't get too far out there, but it's a mostly reliable sequence of songs and a pleasant facsimile of what the Grateful Dead once had been capable of doing. Middle of the road (for them), but solid. "I Will Take You Home" is a bit maudlin, but I'll allow it. My wife was here with me this morning for most of the second set, and the music didn't chase her from the room. Safe and solid can be a selling point for a lot of people. Really, it's a good example of '89 Dead. I'm not that wild about late-period Brent, but, on balance, I always enjoy this show. I prefer it to the Warlocks box. I'd probably take this over Dozin' at the Knick, too.

ARK, adamos, Gollum and 6 others like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Built To Last" isn't one of my favorite Dead songs, but it is interesting that the later choruses have Phil singing the low harmony behind Jerry. I'm not sure if they did that on any other song.

ARK, Gollum, frightwigwam and 3 others like this.
  15. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Yep, this. '89 never seems to get a lot of attention, but every time I play a show -- particularly from July '89 -- from that era, I always say "wow".

Spazros, Crazy Otto, Gollum and 3 others like this.
  16. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

I did the same thing, I 'calculated' the cost per minute of runtime. I found 25 cents to be acceptable, but have picked up stuff way cheaper, such as Movie Soundtrack for 30 Euro.

Anyway, back ontopic. Just finished Nightfall of Diamonds and found disc 2 a difficult listen, the midi is just too much for me. I skipped pretty much all of the first Playing through I will take you home, except UJB. I would have skipped I Will Take You Home as well, but was on my bike while listening, so couldn't. With all due respect, I find that a dreadful song. I'm also not very fond of We Bid You Goodnight, the Good Nights are too staccato.

GuitarStrangler, trd, track11 and 3 others like this.
  17. elsanto

elsanto Forum Resident

This Dick's Picks 19 1973 OKC show has been on my radar too for awhile. Looks like its getting reissued in December (Bullmoose has it for under 50, free shipping in US at that price too):
    - Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks 19: 10/ 19/ 73 Oklahoma City Fairground

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    John C Bradley Jr and uzn007 like this.
  18. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Same here. I found 19 for $56 last year and I have to tell you it's one of the best.

elsanto and John C Bradley Jr like this.
  19. Al Gator

Clickable Thread Guide

List of releases

By Release Date
    By Concert Date
    This week: 1972-09-17 Baltimore (released 2001-10-16 on Dick's Picks 23)

Next week: 1973-03-23 Daly City (released 2002-02-11 on Dick's Picks 24)

trd, Skylab and frightwigwam like this.
  20. Al Gator

[​IMG]

Dick's Picks Volume 23

Recording date: September 17, 1972
    Recording location: Baltimore Civic Center, Baltimore, MD
    Release date: October 16, 2001
    Recorded by: Owsley Stanley

Disc 1
    First set:
    1. "Promised Land" (Chuck Berry) – 3:39
    2. "Sugaree" (Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia) – 7:59
    3. "Black-Throated Wind" (John Barlow, Bob Weir) – 6:34
    4. "Friend of the Devil" (John Dawson, Hunter, Garcia) – 4:19
    5. "El Paso" (Marty Robbins) – 5:11
    6. "Bird Song" (Hunter, Garcia) – 10:55
    7. "Big River" (Johnny Cash) – 5:22
    8. "Tennessee Jed" (Hunter, Garcia) – 8:05
    9. "Mexicali Blues" (Barlow, Weir) – 3:57
    10. "China Cat Sunflower" > (Hunter, Garcia) – 5:18
    11. "I Know You Rider" (trad., arr. Grateful Dead) – 6:16
    Disc 2
    1. "Playing in the Band" (Hunter, Mickey Hart, Weir) – 18:48
    2. "Casey Jones" (Hunter, Garcia) – 6:12
    3. Second set: "Truckin'" (Hunter, Garcia, Phil Lesh, Weir) – 12:19
    4. "Loser" (Hunter, Garcia) – 7:20
    5. "Jack Straw" (Hunter, Weir) – 5:22
    6. "Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo" > (Hunter, Garcia) – 8:38
    7. "Me and My Uncle" (John Phillips) – 3:16
    Disc 3
    1. "He's Gone" > (Hunter, Garcia) – 10:21
    2. "The Other One" > (Bill Kreutzmann, Weir) – 39:07
    3. "Sing Me Back Home" (Merle Haggard) – 10:50
    4. "Sugar Magnolia" (Hunter, Weir) – 9:25
    5. Encore: "Uncle John's Band" (Hunter, Garcia) – 7:22
    Dick’s Picks 23 presents an almost three-and-a-half-hour show from the well-regarded fall 1972 tour. It’s a Baltimore concert (from less than a week before the Dick’s Picks 11 show) that is famous for its extremely long version of The Other One.

The first set is fairly standard for the era; the tunes are performed well enough, but there are a few times when the band sounds a little bored. Friend of the Devil roars along with some great work from Bob, while China>Rider is a fine version with great contributions from Keith bringing the pairing some real energy. Playing in the Band is wide-ranging, never staying in the same place for too long, a version to wash over a listener with closed eyes; it’s the set’s clear highlight.

The second set starts well with a lively standalone Truckin’ and a fiery Loser; Jack Straw and Mississippi Half-Step are all well-played. But the concert’s core starts with those laid-back notes that start He’s Gone. It’s a lovely, leisurely version, leading into the start of a massive Other One.

The Other One is one of the longest versions ever played, 39 minutes of wide-open exploration. It’s all over the place, a series of seemingly unrelated jams. It’s not particularly coherent, but that’s not the point of this version. Early there’s a drum solo, extended jamming around the song’s theme, and the first verse. Then we get a full-blown meltdown reminiscent of Feedback from earlier years. Various unthemed jams follow, and even a section where Phil and Keith play off each other.

Eventually the music finds its way to the second verse, and then quickly stops; Jerry immediately starts Sing Me Back Home. It has to be heard in this context, as it’s a perfect choice to come down from the preceding insanity, and a lovely version with some great harmonies from Donna. Sugar Magnolia rounds out this incredible set, and a pretty Uncle John’s Band encore is very welcome.

The release includes a small booklet with several concert photos and reprints of a couple of reviews of the concert. Bear’s recording is clean and enjoyable, although it’s a little light on the bass.

There are better complete shows from this tour, but the stunning third disc makes this a must-hear for any fan.

21. Crazy Otto

Dicks Picks 23: Baltimore, 9/17/72

For the second dip into ‘72, the Dick’s Picks series gives us another gem from the legendary month of September. At this point, the Archive wasn’t up and running yet, so this was only the second show from that month (DiP 11 being the other) that I’d had the pleasure of hearing.

Notes & Highlights:
    • The sound is pretty much perfect. Keith could be a little higher in the mix at times, but otherwise no complaints whatsoever.
    • A fire-breathing dragon of a first set with a fun uptempo FOTD and typically great performances of Black-Throated Wind, Birdsong (one of the best of ‘72, IMO), Big River, Tennessee Jed, China > Rider and Playin’. Nice surprise Casey to close the set too, instead of wrapping it after Playin’.

• They dive right into the second set with Truckin’, which has a nice rockin’ outro that unfortunately doesn’t quite stick the landing. Loser, Jack Straw and Me & My Uncle are all nice down and dirty versions, and Half-Step really soars.

• A perfectly paced and played He’s Gone signals the back half of the set, with delicious interplay and soloing clean through the outro. An incredible Other One emerges, a song they really stretched out in wonderful ways in ‘72. After an relatively mellow start, early drum break and jam on the main theme, the first verse finally appears...and then it opens up and we're in for it: there’s some spacey jamming that melts into a dissonant puddle before veering into an incredible jazzy stretch. Amazing interplay here, and there’s a nice segment where the guitars drop out and it’s just Phil, Keith and Billy. The transition back into the main theme is also smooth as can be. It’s a knockout and probably still my second favorite ‘72 rendition, right behind 4/26 in Frankfurt.

• After Jerry stings the opening note of Morning Dew, they slide instead into a gorgeous Sing Me Back Home, one of my favorite ‘72 ballads; that going from that Other One into a country weeper doesn’t induce whiplash says so much about this band. I was always a little surprised that this song got dropped, and also that JGB never picked it up...it’s exactly the kind of tune they did so well. A spry Uncle John’s encore is the cherry on this luscious sundae.
    From tip to tail, this is a superbly played show that blew me away when I first heard it, even more so than DiP 11. I’ve since heard a boatload more ‘72, and it still stands as one of the year's better shows. I'd also put it somewhere in the top seven or so of the DiP series. Also of note: this release is by far the best sounding source for this show, so it's for sure worth getting a hold of if you have the chance.

22. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

My problem with 23 is I grabbed it too soon after obtaining 36, which is similar, but on a different level. 23 is still great though and the big jam is still fresh for me.

23. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

23 ....another one I need to hear. I love 72.....

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think this show did not circulate as SBD until a short time before the release. I had a CDR copy, but it had the disc break between "He's Gone" and "The Other One." (I read rumors of a "Latvala Memorial Leak" of 70's SBDs after he passed in 1999, maybe this was one of them.) Great "Other One" (and, according to the list here, one of the four longest versions ever recorded - these four versions time out within 10 seconds of each other).

ARK, superstar19, Crazy Otto and 3 others like this.
  25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

You know the drill …

Dick’s Picks #23 — Baltimore Civic Centre, Baltimore, MD, 17/09/72.

Ah, September 1972. A legendary month for the Dead, chock full of phenomenal shows, bettering some of the European shows from earlier in the year, IMO.

This one is a real-tight showcase of supreme ‘72 country-psych-rock. It also happens to be one of my favourites of the year. Shall we? . . .

1st Set:
    • Promised Land — straight out the gate, and it’s “on”—a rock ‘n’ rollin’ opener kicks things off. Keith’s rolling boogie-woogie keys sounding fabulous;
    • Sugaree — silky smooth with wonderfully groovin’ soloing and bobbing bass;
    • Black-Throated Wind — nice extended intro which sounds at first like they’re gonna go into Jack Straw; throbbing bass, sweet and tasty licks from Jerry, twinkling keys from Keith, and Bobby in fine voice. A favourite version of this one and a 1st set highlight;
    • Friend Of The Devil — tight, with a lovely lilting bounciness—sweet, breezy perfection;
    • El Paso — as good a version you’ll hear of this one—solid, and well-played. I mean, it’s only El Paso;
    • Bird Song — this one’s up there amongst the all-timers. Just exquisite. Intricate and delicately smooth, exploratory jamming. Jerry plays what sounds like some Dark Starlicks early on, Phil’s bass ebbs and flows majestically, and Billy’s drumming throughout is impeccable and really on-point—that boy could play. A really superior version, even Phil thought so, exclaiming “Right on.” Indeed. I could listen to this on a continuous loop. It’s that bloody good. 1st set highlight;
    • Big River — an absolutely rip-roarin’, super-hot ride down the Big River, with that countrified twangy guitar sound;
    • Tennessee Jed — it’s got that saloon/barroom vibe. I love the twinkling keys, gruff and growly vocals, and Jerry’s soloing has a little bite;
    • Mexicali Bluesyee haw! another rip-snortin’ country-rocker;
    • China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider — a little raucous and sloppy compared to some, but real punchy and driven, with a particularly frenetic frenzied Rider;
    • Playing In The Band — a huge, jazzy 19-minute PITB, that swings and grooves like no one’s business, with a sensational, gloriously chilled spacey mid-section, to close the … wait;
    • Casey Jones — a strong and lean, muscular set-closer—I love the bluesy piano keys that punctuate through on this one, Keith is in his element. Joyous.
    2nd Set (missing One More Saturday Night encore):
    • Truckin’ — a hard-ragin’ 2nd set opener that catches fire midway through, and goes off, torching the place—a killer, white-hot version, with guitars and keys blending flawlessly;
    • Loser“last fair deal in the countryyyyy”… an all-timer with a sizzlin’, superlative Jerry solo that’ll steal your face right off your head, and Keith’s embellished keys, again, a highlight—that little swirling build-up before the solo, where the volume increases for a moment, is absolutely incredible, and never fails to give me goosies;
    • Jack Straw — chuggin’ along, this is a super-tight and precise, rockin’ version;
    • Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > — an early version, packed full of excitement—they seem a little lost on the lyrics, but this has intricate, supremely melodic jamming and band interplay. They take no time getting to the “Across the Rio Grand-eo” section on this one, which is followed by some scintillating soloing, then they circle back for another “Across the Rio Grand-eo” coda. Blissful;
    • Me And My Uncle — this one’s explosive and royally kicks ass. It’s crunchy, full of attitude and relentlessly rattles along. I love the aggressive, biting guitars. A stellar MAMU;
    • He’s Gone > — an absolute beaut with sweet licks, astonishingly pretty band interplay, a sublime to-die-for solo that’s full of emotion, and a gorgeous outro;
    • The Other One >buckle up … an insanely epic, earth-shaking colossus—this 40-minute mind-bending monster will pound you into submission (I believe this is the longest TOO). Intensely dark and deeply psychedelic, you really do get lost inside a haze of spaced-out jazzy bliss with seemingly no way out. Apocalyptic;
    • Sing Me Back Home — still dizzy and shaking after that TOO, emerging from the bunker to convey the wreckage, you feel the warmth of sunlight on your face, and you slowly open your eyes—this is an arm around the shoulder telling you it’s all gonna be alright. It’s calm, shimmering, heartfelt and downright stunning, capping off a most amazing, mind-blowing sequence;
    • Sugar Magnolia — deliriously energetic, this one buzzes with ecstasy and some unbelievably wild and majestic jamming;
    • Uncle John’s Band — a sweet and euphoric closer, with crunching, pounding jamming full of ‘tude.
    That was one epic 2nd set with highlight after highlight—absolutely breathtaking.

Did I tell you that I love this show?

I: Promised Land, Sugaree, Black-Throated Wind, Friend Of The Devil, El Paso, Bird Song, Big River, Tennessee Jed, Mexicali Blues, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Playing In The Band, Casey Jones.

II: Truckin’, Loser, Jack Straw, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Me And My Uncle, He’s Gone > The Other One > Sing Me Back Home, Sugar Magnolia, Uncle John’s Band.

E: One More Saturday Night*.

*missing from this Pick.