Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think the multitracking ran from summer '89 to spring '90. After that Phil went through the tapes to create Without A Net. Garcia also multitracked a few JGB Warfield stands for their album in 1990.

ARK, lucan_g, rbbert and 5 others like this.
  2. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

Clickable Thread Guide

List of releases

By Release Date
    By Concert Date
    This week: 1978-05-10 New Haven (released 2002-07-20 on Dick's Picks 25)

Next week: 1978-05-11 Springfield (released 2002-07-20 on Dick's Picks 25)

Skylab and frightwigwam like this.
  3. Al Gator

[​IMG]

Dick's Picks Volume 25 (Part 1)

Recording date: May 10, 1978
    Recording location: Veteran’s Memorial Coliseum, New Haven, CT
    Release date: July 20, 2002
    Recorded by: Owsley Stanley

Disc 1
    First set:
    1. "Jack Straw" (Robert Hunter, Bob Weir) – 6:51
    2. "They Love Each Other" (Hunter, Jerry Garcia) – 7:45
    3. "Cassidy" (John Barlow, Weir) – 5:22
    4. "Ramble on Rose" (Hunter, Garcia) – 7:00
    5. "Me & My Uncle" (John Phillips) – 3:00 >
    6. "Big River" (Johnny Cash) – 6:56
    7. "Peggy-O" (trad., arr. Grateful Dead) – 7:52
    8. "Let It Grow" (Barlow, Weir) – 9:40 >
    9. "Deal" (Hunter, Garcia) – 7:05
    10. Second set: "Bertha" (Hunter, Garcia) – 8:07 >
    11. "Good Lovin'" (Rudy Clark, Artie Resnick) – 6:20
    Disc 2
    1. "Estimated Prophet" (Barlow, Weir) – 12:04 >
    2. "Eyes of the World" (Hunter, Garcia) – 12:18 >
    3. "Drums" (Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann) – 18:00 >
    4. "The Other One" (Kreutzmann, Weir) – 16:31 >
    5. "Wharf Rat" (Hunter, Garcia) – 10:14 >
    6. "Sugar Magnolia/Sunshine Daydream" (Hunter, Weir) – 9:33
    The 25th installment of Dick’s Picks ventures into the spring 1978 tour, the second official release from the year. We get two nearly-complete concerts from two different cities. This week we’ll dig into the first one.

This era isn’t known for its subtlety, but instead tends to feature more straight-ahead rock-and-roll versions of the songs. It’s also known for some very long Drums segments, and this release includes nearly 40 minutes of Drums.

New Haven’s first set opens with a supercharged Jack Straw. The following They Love Each Other is enjoyable; Keith’s solo isn’t very inventive but Jerry follows up with a winner. And that’s the way of the set - rocking versions of these songs, without much exploration. A dynamic Peggy-O is a must-hear version, the energetic jam at the end of Let it Grow is a highlight, and the set-closing Deal is over the top.

The second set starts with the common pairing of Bertha>Good Lovin’; Jerry’s main solo in the former is top-rate, but the transition starts a verse too early and they don’t quite recover. Good Lovin’ would have been fun in person but goes on too long for this home listener.

The heart of the show begins with a fiery Estimated Prophet; the band is flying here. This leads into a fairly standard 1978 Eyes, played at a fairly fast clip, with plenty of nice Jerry solo moments. But the 18-minute Drums kills any momentum - it’s far too long to hold up on tape.

Eventually Drums comes to an end, and it turns into a Space with continued light drumming. This noodles (in a good way) for several minutes, frequently around The Other One theme. It builds into a top-rate version of the song, driving and dynamic; this sequence is the concert’s highlight and worth revisiting many times. The following Wharf Rat is also wonderful; a lively Sugar Magnolia brings this surprisingly excellent post-Drums sequence to an energetic end.

I’m not a huge fan of mid-1978, and this pick was a disappointment to me when it was released. But I do enjoy the second set highlights, and they continue to get some play time here. Next week we’ll cover the second show from this Pick.

ARK, beatboy1975, Spazros and 13 others like this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In addition to being very long, the Drums segments from this tour usually involved most of the band and roadies playing various percussion instruments along with Bill and Mickey. These are fun but tend to wear out their welcome quickly on tape, and I've read reports from people who saw multiple shows in 1978 that they got tiresome live too.

Here's video of one of those Drums bits, showing Jerry, Bob and Steve Parrish along with others I can't identify joining in.

trd, Spazros, Crispy Rob and 8 others like this.
  5. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Dick’s Picks 25, Part I: 5/10/78, New Haven, CT

We’re back to Spring ‘78 for DiP 25, composed of two nearly complete shows from 5/10 and 5/11 and which were new to me at the time of its release. First up is the New Haven show, which I haven’t spun in a very long time; we’ll get to the 5/11 show from Springfield next week.

Notes & Highlights:
    • The sound is pretty good, if a little muted in the crisp highs. Thank goodness they saw the error of their ways with that cover art, though.

• After an energetic Jack Straw opener, we’re treated to some...colorful Bob-Jerry banter and a savory TLEO. Me & My Uncle isn’t usually a tune that sticks out, but I love the driving and almost funky way they do it in ‘78. The rest of the set is fine if somewhat unexceptional until we get to the closing pairing and set highlight that showcases their range: there’s some great exploration in Let It Grow, followed by a straight-up rocking Deal.

• Bertha > Good Lovin’ gets the second set off to a wobbly start, but things get more interesting after that. We’re treated to a rightous Estimated bridge solo, which by this point has been fully stretched out; the typically exploratory and rewarding outro winds its way into Eyes, a common occurrence back then. This one is well-played but doesn't otherwise distinguish itself.

• I don’t really need 17+ minutes of drums, but the extended spacey intro to The Other One that emerges is a nice change-up. It’s clear from the outset where they’re headed (perhaps that’s why it wasn’t tracked separately as Space), but they patiently build it up until they’re into the song, even forgoing the standard Phil intro riff. It’s an unusually dynamic and searching version for this era, with Phil in particular just owning the song; this performance is something only he could not only get away with, but also turn into the show highlight. This is also one of my favorite Wharf Rats, mostly for Jerry’s emotionally stunning vocal performance.
    In the end, this is a decent show for me that only occasionally enters the realm of the exceptional. Glad to have that Other One > Wharf Rat, but it’s kind of surprising that this show was part of the Pick, when none of the superior music from April had yet to see the official treatment. Maybe the fact that these tapes weren’t widely circulated previously played a role, but at this point I’d take almost any of the subsequently released ‘78 material (DaP’s, July Box) over it.

trd, beatboy1975, Spazros and 10 others like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think most of the April 1978 tapes weren't in the vault until the ABCD deal.

7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Posted previously Thread Grateful The in—

(Half of) Dick’s Picks #25 — Veterans Memorial Coliseum, New Haven, CT, 10/05/78.

A killer, aggressively jammed-out Jack Straw opens—they’re really feeling this one; Bobby’s on slide guitar for a pretty pleasant They Love Each Other; Cassidy rocks and jams pretty hard—again, they miss/leave off the final “Flight of the seabirds” refrain; a tight and propulsive disco-like beat, sparkling and shimmering Me And My Uncle; Big River is a smoker, with wildly exciting soloing; Peggy-O is a sweet and melodic beauty, as is usual; Let It Grow bolts out the gate, then settles into a simmering groove, before some scorchin’ hot shredding and exceptional outro jamming; a rollicking, insanely energetic Deal, complete with a blistering, scintillating Jerry solo and Donna’s outta control screaming closes the 1st set.

2nd set opener, Bertha, is a bit of a slop-fest with Jerry messing up and forgetting the lyrics to one of the verses, so they just jam it out for a bit; a super-tight Estimated features what sounds a little like Lost Sailor for a moment during the mid-jam; Eyes is wicked fast and uptempo, played with gusto—hang on tight!; exploding out of a massive Drums and what sounds like a Spanish Jam-esque Space, TOO is thunderously fierce; a powerfully emotional, hard-hitting Wharf Rat has a thrilling solo and some epically sublime, superlative jamming with humongous Phil-bombs peppered all over the place; a rippin’ Sugar Magnolia brings proceedings to a rockin’ end.

I: Jack Straw, They Love Each Other, Cassidy, Ramble On Rose, Me And My Uncle > Big River, Peggy-O, Let It Grow > Deal.

II: Bertha > Good Lovin’, It Must Have Been The Roses*, Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > The Other One > Wharf Rat > Sugar Magnolia.

E: U.S. Blues*.

*missing from this Pick.

trd, beatboy1975, Spazros and 6 others like this.
  8. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Dick's Picks Vol. 25 (Discs 1+2)
    1978-05-10 — Veteran’s Memorial Coliseum, New Haven, CT

I've been lurking around this thread since last posting for Vol. 8, (because that's been the last release I've owned/heard), so I'm very excited to contribute again!

Gave this a fresh listen two days ago to prep for this milestone, taking notes simultaneously, which I've edited and shared below:
    • The sound is great on this release. Everyone raves about the sound quality of Cornell 77, but for me, this is miles better. Much better balanced and up-front vocals. Can hardly believe it's not a multi-track recording.

• Jack Straw rips out of the gate, very dynamic and rockin’ between the different verses. Jerry seems to be having a bit of an off-night, particularly in the first set, which Bob ribs him for on occasion. Maybe Jerry wanted a night of playing instead of singing.

• Bob appears to have taken the reins in this show, communicating to the audience, his songs seems to be much more together. The Bob songs in this first set are where the real fire is. I can hear Me and My Uncle a hundred times, and this one still made me sit up, with a great quick transition to Big River that jams along real energetically.

• Keith is playing it safe, I believe he was going through personal (drug-related) issues at this point in the career, and his solo in “They Love Each Other” never really goes anywhere.

• Reaching the end of the first set, I’ll stand by my assertion that there are plenty of dynamics in tonight’s show. The drummers are bringing it in that regards, knowing when to drop back and thing build it up again. Let It Grow is a great example of this. This leads into Deal to finish the set, and finally Jerry has dusted off the cobwebs, it swings nicely. Donna is solid in this first set too, only really letting loose at the end of Deal when she starts hitting the banshee notes.

• A few tape issues open up second set, with a bit of flutter in the intro to Bertha. It’s a rollickin’ version, and Jerry has finally shaken off those first set blues. The transition to Good Lovin’ is a nice tight turnaround, and while it’ll always be a Pig Pen track at heart, Bob does his darndest with it.

• Estimated Prophet is an absolute highlight of this whole show. Very tight from the outset, and smokin’ all the way through! The instrumental build up and then cutaway into the second verse? Amazing.

• But guess what we don’t need? A nearly 20-minute version of Drums. My limit for these are about 10-12 minutes, and this is just way too long. The fact that there are two instances of Drums that reach this length on this release (nearly 40 mins worth) is totally overkill.
    • The transition into The Other One is great though, the left channel keeps a conga groove going while the 6/8 groove pattern slides in underneath (supplied by Jerry on the wah). It’s closer to a Space segment for the first 9 minutes or so before exploding into all out TOO glory.

• Overall, much stronger second set than the first. With the exception of the extended Drums, (and maybe the performance snafus in Bertha - but I don't mind that), the second set is fantastic all the way through. Set 1 is only really buoyed by some really great Bob tracks.

beatboy1975, Spazros, uzn007 and 9 others like this.
  9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

The next show is cray-cray ;)

trd, Crispy Rob, Crosseyed and 5 others like this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Bob plays a bit of "Lost Sailor" in the tuning break before the pre-drums jam on 4/22/78.

Crispy Rob, SJR, superstar19 and 3 others like this.
  11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I like the long and weird 1978 Rhythm Devils performances.

Spazros, Al Gator and Crosseyed like this.
  12. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

If I recall correctly there is one from April where there are wild turkeys gobbling.

Update: Horton Field House Normal IL to be exact: Drums -> 4/24/78 Grateful Dead

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    trd, Spazros, uzn007 and 4 others like this.
  13. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

uzn007 and superstar19 like this.
  14. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

I have limited knowledge of the band's live shows, I'm still exploring Dicks Picks and Road Trips releases, I have so much to check out still.
    I think everything from 71-74 should be released.

But I wouldn't mind an official release from 1994/03/30, the show with the last Dark Star, and the longest Drums>Space segment in the band's history, as far as I know.

adamos and ianuaditis like this.
  15. Al Gator

I appreciate those who post their thoughts on the week's shows. We're getting into the releases that not many people have heard, but I'm not giving up. I'm going to keep this thread going!

Clickable Thread Guide

List of releases

By Release Date
    By Concert Date
    This week: 1978-05-11 Springfield (released 2002-07-20 on Dick's Picks 25)

Next week: 1969-04-26 Chicago, 1969-04-27 Minneapolis (released 2002-10-01 on Dick's Picks 26)

Willowman, Blue Note, Gollum and 3 others like this.
  16. Al Gator

[​IMG]

Dick's Picks Volume 25 (Part 1)

Recording date: May 11, 1978
    Recording location: Springfield Civic Center Arena, Springfield, Massachusetts
    Release date: July 20, 2002
    Recorded by: Betty Cantor-Jackson

Disc 3
    First set:
    1. "Cold Rain & Snow" (trad., arr. Grateful Dead) – 7:03
    2. "Beat It On Down The Line" (Jesse Fuller) – 3:31
    3. "Friend of the Devil" (John Dawson, Hunter, Garcia) – 8:36
    4. "Looks Like Rain" (Barlow, Weir) – 9:13
    5. "Loser" (Hunter, Garcia) – 7:48
    6. "New Minglewood Blues" (trad., arr. Weir) – 5:47
    7. "Tennessee Jed" (Hunter, Garcia) – 8:47
    8. "Lazy Lightnin'" (Barlow, Weir) – 3:21 >
    9. "Supplication" (Barlow, Weir) – 6:31
    10. Second set: "Scarlet Begonias" (Hunter, Garcia) – 9:41 >
    11. "Fire on the Mountain" (Hunter, Hart) – 8:35
    Disc 4
    1. "Dancing in the Streets" (Marvin Gaye, Ivy Hunter, William Stevenson) – 15:12 >
    2. "Drums" (Hart, Kreutzmann) – 19:53 >
    3. "Not Fade Away" (Buddy Holly, Norman Petty) – 10:21 >
    4. "Stella Blue" (Hunter, Garcia) – 8:56 >
    5. "Around & Around" (Chuck Berry) – 9:15
    6. Encore: "Werewolves of London" (LeRoy Marinell, Waddy Wachtel, Warren Zevon) – 8:30
    7. "Johnny B. Goode" (Berry) – 4:15
    The second nearly-complete show from Dick’s Picks 25 is from May 11 in Springfield, and it follows a similar template to the previous evening’s show. There’s enough strangeness here that I’m convinced the band was not quite sober.

The first set is mostly about the Jerry songs. The opening Cold Rain & Snow has several nice solos, and some not-bad Bobby slide. Friend of the Devil has a fine solo from Keith on the electric piano before Jerry takes over. Loser is all power but loses some emotion in its relentless reading, while Tennessee Jed is a bit of a mess. Bob gets his chance to shine in the closing Lazy Lightnin’>Supplication, and the jam is probably the best thing in the set as Jerry’s solo rides along the music with enthusiasm and imagination. Nevertheless, the set isn’t a classic.

The second set starts with Scarlet>Fire. I wish this were a great version but it falls short. The first half is laid-back, but doesn’t really go to any special places, while Fire is full of energy but is marred by too much of Bob’s questionable slide guitar.

The band is having a great time in Dancing in the Streets with some random vocal interjections and laughter, but the song goes on too long. Drums lasts almost 20 minutes with very little magic translating to tape, again much too long; something’s wrong when Dancing is almost as long as Scarlet>Fire, and Drums is longer (and this is coming from somebody who frequently enjoys later-era Drums segments).

Eventually we get to Not Fade Away, and it’s a lively, jammy version. It’s followed by a wonderful, dynamic Stella Blue; this pairing is the show’s high point. Even Around & Around has a great rock-n-roll Jerry solo (but yes, the song outstays its welcome). The rare Werewolves of London encore isn’t impressive musically but is still fun, and a rare second encore of Johnny B. Goode closes out the show.

For me, this show is a very puzzling selection for a milestone Pick. It would have been fun to see, but it’s a show I never reach for. At least it’s a nice Betty Board, not quite at the level of her best recordings but still very enjoyable and better than most other bands’ live recordings.

You might have expected special packaging for the 25th entry in the Dick’s Picks series. It does have a one-off cover design, featuring an outline of Dick inspecting a tape. But that’s all; the insert just has a couple of photos and credits.

In the end, this special 25th installment in the Dick’s Picks series was a disappointment for me, and it’s not one I’d recommend seeking out. As is obvious from the many other releases from this era to follow, Dave is much more a mid-1978 fan than me. But these aren’t even among the best shows from the era - the Dave’s Picks from the era are generally much more entertaining, and there are many other options for exploring this transitional year that easily surpass this Pick.

17. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

(Part 2) ;)

It was around Vol. 20 (before or after?) that I had decided to stop buying any post-hiatus Keith-era shows. Just never a big fan of that era. So I didn't buy 25, 29, 33, 34 when they originally came out, unlike all the other volumes. I did buy all the RT series and DaP regardless of year, though, so a couple of years ago the completest in me kicked in and I bought the missing back DiP volumes.

I still have never even listened to this one.

Al Gator likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Here are Dick's journal entries about these shows (based on audience recordings he got in trade). His 5/11 writeup starts on a harsh note but seems to veer in a more positive direction in the last few sentences about the second set. I seem to remember that in his last years he mentioned wanting to release the show, which I think didn't circulate yet as a SBD.

[​IMG]

Dignan2000, SJR, Gollum and 6 others like this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

20. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

"... their usual professionalism."

21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Previously—

(The other half of) Dick’s Picks #25 — Springfield Civic Centre, Springfield, MA, 11/05/78.

The (in)famous “Mescaline Show”—it’s a long strange trip where everything seems a little off, and features a lot of wild growling and some strange vocals, especially during the demented 2nd set where giddiness and infectious laughter threaten to derail proceedings. It sounds like a lotta fun, and you get a sense they were having a great ol’ time. ;)

An aggressively relentless, thumpin’ opener Cold Rain And Snow sets the tone; Jerry’s two ballads, Peggy-O and Stella Blue, in particular, are stunning highlights; Lazy Lightning > Supplication, and Scarlet > Fire are mega-jammy with some frenzied and frantic playing and singing; Dancing In The Street is flat-out mental; oh, and Bobby dons a werewolf mask for the encore!

Deliriously crazy, crazy stuff.

[​IMG]

I: Cold Rain And Snow, Beat It On Down The Line, Friend Of The Devil, Looks Like Rain, Loser, Mexicali Blues*, Mama Tried*, Tennessee Jed, New Minglewood Blues, Peggy-O*, Lazy Lightning > Supplication.

II: Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain, Dancing In The Street > Drums > Not Fade Away > Stella Blue > Around And Around.

E: Werewolves Of London, Johnny B. Goode.

*missing from this Pick.

22. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

For the special 25th volume of the Dick's Picks series, with the cover illustration of Latvala inspecting a tape reel, it looks like Dave chose two shows that Dick would not have picked, himself. Curious.

Isn't this the set that showcases one date recorded by Bear, and the other by Betty? Any observations about the audio differences?

Crazy Otto and Al Gator like this.
  23. Crazy Otto

Dick’s Picks 25, Part II: 5/11/78, Springfield

The notorious mescaline concert comprises the second half of Dick’s Picks 25. There is a palpable madcap energy to this show (Bob’s zaniness is especially amplified and Jerry even lets out some wild growls), particularly in the second set, so perhaps there’s some truth to the legend.

Notes & Highlights:
    • The sound is no different from the first show -- good, but a little dull in the highs.

• Bob is very active on the slide for much of this show, which is sometimes cool, but often annoying and distracting; actually, a lot about Bob in this show is a bit annoying and distracting.

• Rain & Snow is always a fun way to open a show; other first set highlights include a dynamic FOTD with a fiery solo, a striking Looks Like Rain (a song that usually does very little for me), a smoky Loser, and a really dynamic Supplication to close it. Minglewood is a weird version: instrumentally it’s surprisingly twangy and smooth, but Bob’s way-over-the-top vocal performance doesn’t at all fit with what’s happening around him; it’s a good illustration of my main issue with this show.

• A relatively brief Scarlet > Fire kicks off the second set; the transition jam doesn’t leap out of the speakers like some others from ‘78, but it’s silky smooth and has some cool subtle things happening: Bob drops some dank dubby delay and Jerry’s lines are tasteful if restrained. Whatever they partook in during the set break seems to kick in during the Fire outro, when we’re treated to some cringey yelps, growls and even a spanish tongue roll. The shenanigans continue in a wildly energetic (and at times downright silly) Dancin’ featuring some intense Jerry soloing, both with and without the Mu-Tron. As in 5/10, we get another long drum segment to test our patience; it eventually eases into a fun if relatively standard NFA. Stella is a fine version, although Jerry’s over-exuberant vocal performance mars it a bit. A ridiculous and often difficult to listen to Werewolves is the most notable (and fitting) thing about the remainder of the show.
    Despite the silliness and general lack of subtlety in the vocals brought on by whatever substance was involved, there are a few performances here worth revisiting. Like the first half of DiP 25, however, it’s not something I listen to often and falls more into the decent-but-not-exceptional tier of releases for me.

24. Crazy Otto

They sound more or less the same to me...

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The credits I found online say that Bear recorded May 10, Betty May 11.

ARK, rbbert, Al Gator and 3 others like this.