Grateful Dead cover/tribute bands (JRAD, DSO, etc.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by heathen, Mar 14, 2019.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Tom Hamilton and Joe Russo handled the vocals, much cleaner than bands with Weir handle that tune.

JRM and ianuaditis like this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I just watched a clip of one from 2016, pretty cool and they do the singing a lot closer to the original style, though still a bit off.

As neat as it is that the band (mostly Phil) brought back some of those old chestnuts, stuff like not doing the 'accelerate-to-the-speed-of-the-universe-then-stop' jam in Viola Lee Blues, or not doing the two contrapuntal voices in the Eleven I find deeply disappointing.

US Blues and budwhite like this.
  3. US Blues

I simply find Bobby's additions to the lyrically interpretation of The Eleven to be lounge act schmaltz, and as such they are completely distasteful. IMHO.

klownschool and JRM like this.
  4. trd

trd Forum Resident

It occurs to me that July 3/4/5 weekend is High Sierra Music Festival’s 30th anniversary. My guess is that’s where they are headed

5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

2 of the cover bands I’ve seen do Viola Lee (High Time played it at both shows I attended while Stella Blue’s Band played it at the 1 show I attended) did great accelerating into meltdown crazy feedback imbued awesomeness.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  6. US Blues

I recall a Viola Lee Blues performed by Furthur which went to some unbelievable places. Phil played an enormous bass riff that stopped Time dead in its tracks.

ianuaditis, budwhite and Archtop like this.
  7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

We were VERY tempted to pay big prices to see that Brooklyn Bowl show last night but it would have been difficult to do.

We will watch the opening to each set this weekend to start to get fired up for February @ Capital Theatre

US Blues likes this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

He’s worth seeing as a bandleader in his own right as well.

trd and Dahabenzapple like this.
  9. trd

trd Forum Resident

See you at The Independent next week for his show?

I’ll be spending my thanksgiving at the home of another keyboardist who gets mentioned in this thread regularly. I’m curious to see if she wears the hat to cook ;)

Crispy Rob, JRM, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  10. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Very cool!

11. trd

trd Forum Resident

My lady friend and her go way back, it’s kind of cool. Couldn’t be nicer and she’s funny as hell. Her husband is real solid too. It’s nice to see good things happening to/for good human beings

Crispy Rob, DrLunchbox, JRM and 2 others like this.
  12. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

And he helps stream & archive a killer band! Her contributions aren’t too shabby either :cool:

trd and US Blues like this.
  13. DrLunchbox

She’s a fellow Michigander. Good folk from out that way.

trd, JRM and US Blues like this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Maybe. I have a rough workweek coming up, so it’s not looking too likely, unfortunately...

trd likes this.
  15. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

How are his solo shows? I’m not too familiar with his stuff but what I’ve heard didn’t have a lot of improv jams. Does he dip into any psychedelic space? Ghost Light at The Independent last week was a heater fwiw!

trd likes this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Great Googly Moogly, the Here Comes Sunshine--> Elizabeth Reed--> Here Comes Sunshine from 3/18/17 is gorgeosity encapsulated (says my boy alex). I'd love that have that gig on bass. I think I could do it justice with a tad of more out stuff. No, I'm no Oteil, but I dream. The world needs more dreamers, even if they are 56 years old.

17. DrLunchbox

That’s why I think it’s my favorite JRAD show. It’s the one I come back to the most frequently.

Archtop and JRM like this.
  18. US Blues

You youngins' need to keep dreaming big.

Archtop likes this.
  19. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

JRAD is so good they need their own thread here.

20. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

21. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

The JRAD show last week on 11/25 was the first time Liz Reed was played since that 2017 one. It was textbook perfect. Hoping the SBD gets up soon, it might even be better than the spectacular HCS sandwich filling mentioned above :cool:

22. DrLunchbox

Same.

JRM likes this.
  23. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Another stellar lineup this year...

[​IMG]

24. trd

trd Forum Resident

Interesting, same weekend as High Sierra and JRAD is headlining there too. I was hoping they’d be there most of the weekend and some of their other bands would play (benevento, surprising mr. Davis, maybe even a bustle set) since it’s the fest’s 30th anniversary.

JRM likes this.
  25. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Also interesting that Oteil will be with JRAD at Peach, but he was not announced for HSMF. Must be a not-yet-announced Ween conflict for DD.

trd likes this.