Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2016 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gammondorf, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

:laughup:

2. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Mine came yesterday (Sydney, Australia)

It was stinking hot yesterday and I was not in the mood and only listened to 2 tracks. Saturday all to myself and 12/9/81

Cover art is great. Still disappointed with the cover for #19. 1970 Dead playing in Hawaii should have been THE BEST cover.

3. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

So...I didn't love DP 20. Did anyone here miss out, and want to buy mine?

4. blackdog68

blackdog68 Forum Resident

4-2-73...hmmm. Probably a great sounding show would be my guess since it is not much different nor as excellent of a setlist as the release that Dave did 3-28-73 (I think) Hard to justify unless collecting. Kinda like the 78 shows a that were a day apart. Even those were more relevant in terms of setlist variation.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  5. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Just listened to the first disc of DaP 20, first three songs are pretty poor performance's but things start to hot up on Little Red Rooster, got to the end of the first disc and wanted more

Crispy Rob likes this.
  6. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

4/02/73 is a monster, just wait. One of the most requested shows for a reason. While it doesn't have a big eye-catching Dark Star or Other One there in the setlist it's the Here Comes Sunshine that alone makes this a must own. Add on a nice early Weather Report Suite Prelude-> Eyes Of The World-> China Doll sandwich and the rest is just gravy. Luckily the rest is extremely well played, one of the best shows from one of their best years.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They made HCS the "space" vehicle that night rather than Dark Star or Other One, an experiment I don't think they tried any other time.

footlooseman and Crispy Rob like this.
  8. blackdog68

Ok. fair enough. I did eyeball that HCSSpace. HCS is always a jam machine. I'll buy in. Thanks for feedback

Lands End Drums likes this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

4.2.73 is a great show.

As for "hard to justify unless collecting"...you do realize you are talking to Deadheads. Collecting is like breathing...it's in our DNA. :laugh:

10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That was easy. :D

That HCS--> Melt--> Bobby McGee is reminiscent of the great Other One--> Melt--> Bobby McGee from the 9/28/72 monster at the Stanley Theater. Another show that needs releasin'.

Quincy, footlooseman, JayB and 3 others like this.
  11. blackdog68

Wait a minute...I was sure this was the Air Suppply thread.....my bad ;)

12. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Guy needs to move :D

13. Did a re-listen to DaP 19 (Hawaii, 1970).
    Very under-rated release.
    Amazing Good Lovin' on Disc 1, a Black Peter with hints of Dark Star on Disc 3, and a very good That's It For The Other One, Dark Star, St. Stephen, Lovelight(!!!) at the heart of the release.
    I wonder why this one didn't grab me the first time around.

14. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

unravelled and John Bonham like this.
  15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I love 9/28/72. Jersey City 1972 would've been a great box set....which will never happen since 9/27/72 was a Dick's Pick.

JayB, Archtop, notesofachord and 3 others like this.
  16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I've come back to this one a few times. I really like it. There is a more laid back feel than some of the better known 1970 electric sets with a good groove throughout. I don't think the peaks of this show match up but the whole show definitely deserves repeated listening.

17. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

It is really a very solid show, but I can totally relate. I was a bit disappointed at first, but it grew on me and still does.

18. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Hear hear. I recently confessed in The Grateful Thread that I was falling in love with this show. A jam of over eighty minutes to conclude the show. I superb sound from Bear's recording. Jerry mastering the Strat for the first time. Really, an excellent show.

Is it the 13 February Dark Star? No. Very little is. Is just about every note of it excellent? Yes and very few shows in this era fit that description.

19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Jan. 23, '70 is an "average" (okay, okay slightly above...) early 1970 show. That is a peak era for the band IMO. Therefore, it's awesome.

The 2nd night in Hawaii, the 24th, might have actually been the better show. It's a shame about the missing reel from the 2nd set, because what's on disc 3 of Da19 is absolutely smoking!

20. Archtop

Fixed that for you. :D :nyah: Forgive me; I'm not a fan of editing other's posts, but this was a life or death situation.

The 13 February 1970 Dark Star, as great as it is, is the antipasti for the fully-realized and fully-executed 19 September 1970 Dark Star.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  21. notesofachord

If 9/19 is a 9.98, then 2/13 is a 9.91

In other words, they both be amazing.

For me, which Dark Star is a perfect 10?
    It's still 2/27/69. Live/Dead.

22. Archtop

Phil's D or G string is ever so slightly flat at the beginning of the Live/Dead version (depending on how he's voicing his lines). It nags at me badly. 4/08/72 is a 9.98 for me. 9/19/70 is a 9.9999437.

budwhite and notesofachord like this.
  23. notesofachord

Interesting. Bobby's out-of-tune guitar is partially the reason I didn't heap praise on Dave's 18 as heavily as many of you. Although, it really is a strong release with mucho unique jamming throughout.

24. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

21 September '72!

:wiggle:

notesofachord and Archtop like this.
  25. Archtop

Bobby is also woefully out of tune on 5/24/72; China Cat.
    Ah yes, the Dark Star--> Mind Left Country of Spain Jam (28:15-) Fanfreakintasticophied!!!-->

I need to check out the 17 September 1970 DS. I may have already, but my wits ain't what they used to be.

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.