Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2017 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

No one has bitten on this question, so I'm tossing it out there once again. I've listened to a good chunk of DaP 24 and Phil's bass has something going on, but it sounds as if it's only on his low E string or somehow (more likely) based on some frequency cut-off regardless of where he fingered the note. Anyone else catching this? Phil isn't louder in the mix on this (a la Hofheinz, 11/18/72), but his lower end has a distinct "octave down" teeth-rattling feel and sound that isn't present on any other recording I've heard (it is somewhat reminiscent of the later recordings on which he used a five or six-stringer, which explains the later sound (a low B string)). What gives?

nitsuj and budwhite like this.
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Whoa dude! I got mine today as well and it's basically the "flipped" number of yours: # 4411

Far out, man. :edthumbs:

four sticks and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

I have a nifty, very transparent old 1967 era Dynaco valve set up with very efficient Cornie IIs and i can't wait to check this show out tomorrow afternoon to see what's up with Phil's BASS GREAT. Stuck at work tonight. Will report back.

4. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

After powering through the whole show, we have our answer. Yes, there was a curfew for the building. It seems like they played a standard length first set and then were told that they had to finish by 11 or whatever. Which is strange because the review on the inner sleeve mentioned one of the earlier shows being 4 hours in length. Might have been an exaggeration.

Donna introduces PITB. 16 minutes is about the right length. The main jam-Truckin'>TOO-is excellent as you'd expect, but then the Stella Blue is unpolished, with Jerry not quite having worked everything out on that one yet, and a standard finish.

Overall, after the first listen, it's good, not great. Too many flubs, all of them vocal and most of them on Jerry. The band sounds fantastic, of course. It's a pretty strong first set for 1972 with only one cowboy song. That Bird Song is probably star of the show for me, at least after one go. I think we got this one because the others won't fit on 3 CDs. I am very curious about how they're going to release some of those epics from '73

Clearly below #21 and #23; maybe better than #22, maybe not. And I don't like the artwork for the entire series. These last two have been OK, but very few of the others are.

5. Archtop

The Playing in the Band improv demonstrates a nice transition from early to late '72. Maybe not as good as the Veneta version, but more evocative of the November versions to me (albeit, shorter in duration, but the recorded sound may also play into my assessment). That's worth the price of admission right there. Now, if anyone could shed some light on why Phil's bass on the low end sounds so very different on this recording, unlike any other I've ever heard, I would be very much obliged.

warewolf95, adamos and bmoregnr like this.
  6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Back in the vhs/dvd days, everything ran 4% fast due to PAL in europe. I never noticed it thankfully...

7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I won't be able to listen to this for a few days, but I will use what your bass-oriented ears have picked up on to point out a quick blurb Mr. Norman mentioned in a recent chat, where he said he'd be curious to hear what I or we thought of DaP 24 because he was shooting for a big low end and tried something new. What that is exactly I don't know yet, but it sounds like you have clearly picked up on the results.

I was thinking those with subs might be getting a real showing; my rigs don't go too low. As I enjoy a listening job I was planning to report back, but I'll use this post to ask for any other comments such as yours to pass along, then maybe we can get more deets. Happy listening. I've been in the mood for some new '72 so I'm up for this pick.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    warewolf95, nitsuj, Archtop and 4 others like this.
  8. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

I noticed the nice, deep low end as well. I like it - it doesn't sound like unnatural EQ at all. It reminds me a lot of Billy Cox's bass on the recent Band of Gypsys NYE vinyl set. Nice low bass you can feel. Overall, I think the sound is great and it's a fun summer '72 show.

9. Phan71

Phan71 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

2182 arrived here yesterday. One of these days I'll listen to this years output. (diving under chair).

11. Archtop

So far, this is, by all accounts, a really strong show. A bit short, nothing crazy over the top great, but plenty of good meat and 'taters. Every track that I've listened to, save for Bertha, is played really well. And Bear's recording is, while just a bit metallic/crunchy, excellent.

Anyway, very interesting info on what Mr. Norman said. So, here's what I'd ask (still on my first cup of Irish Breakfast tea, so if you need me to refine these down the line, let me know):
    • On previous releases, Phil's bass generally sounds very even across all strings/frequencies (let's leave the quad bass thing out of the discussion for now). Was this evenness how things actually sounded in the hall or is this new thing you are doing trying to replicate how things actually sounded (i.e., bigger on the low end relative to the mids and highs), but the equipment of the era was unable to "faithfully" replicate the unevenness?
    • Did your new approach involve something that was keyed off of what string Phil was playing (i.e., there was some electronic feature in Big Brown that favored the E string) or did you use some sort of frequency cut-off to approximate that the effect only shows up if Phil had chosen to play a given note on his low E string?
    The "uneven" sound is something I've experienced myself on many occasions, especially when being forced to use the house backline in place of my usual rig. While "the bigger low end thing" has its charm (and can be used for good dramatic effect is applied judiciously), on my rig I generally eq'ed and slightly compressed my bass signal so that the output from all four strings was more or less equal. Then I pulled a "Wetton" and sound-checked my bass at ~8 so I had 9 or 10 in my hip pocket if I needed it. Bass players; can't trust 'em. :nyah:

12. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

I’m in a non-Dead period at the moment (this year, pretty much) but let’s see if #800 - while the wife and daughter are out, plus tonight’s Deadeye show (Austin-based tribute band) -spark things up.

If not, I’ll go back to The Disco Biscuits. Untz.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm in a non-Dead period too. I expect the magic of 1972 works.

14. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

Listened to the first two discs so far and love it. The bass is definitely fat on this release, I really noticed it on He's Gone. Then I check this thread and see you all are already discussing it, not surprised!

15. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Bobby. Phil usually recites the lyrics, while Bobby sings them.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Sounded like Bobby to me as well. 9/7/85 Red Rocks is my favorite rendition.

warewolf95, US Blues and nitsuj like this.
  17. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

This pick is fantastic. Yes, it's a little shorter than some '72 shows, but it's all killer no filler. Love the vibe and chat between first set songs. The band is just cooking and Phil sounds amazing. Jeffrey Norman is doing such a wonderful job mastering these releases.

[EDIT] Just have to add that Phil's solo linking Truckin' to The Other One is earth-shaking. I don't know this show well, despite loving '72-'74 Dead, and it's really making me smile.

18. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue Forum Resident

I knew that I was going to be in the car for a good bit today so I decided to wait to open the discs until the car ride. I'm bopping along listening to disc 1 and enjoying the heck out of it. Disc 1 comes to a close and I go to reach for the second CD and notice something. Do you see the problem?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

warewolf95 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Good to see a Berkeley Community Theater show represented in the Dave’s Picks Series.

20. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Oops. Paging Dr. Rhino. Paging Dr. Rhino.

21. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

I DO have disc 2, unlike poor Ryan, BUT it starts (in more than one CD player) at 6-something minutes into Bird Song.

The only way to get it to Friend Of The Devil at the start of the disc is to let Bird Song 'start' (at the aforementioned 6-minute-plus position) then scroll backwards.

Fun.

warewolf95 and Ryan Donahue like this.
  22. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

That is bizarre. I’ve only ripped mine so far (EAC had fits with them in secure mode but burst seems to have worked fine from the handful I have tested), so I don’t know what oddities await.

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I thought 8/24/72 fit on three discs?

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Got DaP 24 yesterday. Glad I got the change of address fixed on the Rhino website. Dead.net was non functional in that area. I had to get someone to retrieve and send DaP 23 from our former home in Wisconsin.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue Forum Resident

Ugh, that's just a bad. Sounds like someone's asleep at the wheel.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.