Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2017 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

2. BurtThomasWard

Anything from Chinee is pretty much 120% bootleg, yes.

3. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  4. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Look at the seller's past sales, 4 "unnumbered" copies of DaP 9 from this one seller, in China. Sounds totally legit.

5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I looked at his listing for #19, and then his feedback. My spidey sense tells me that this is legit. He's sold a bunch of GD items, and other cds in the past.

6. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Oops, missed that part.
    :hide:

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  7. BurtThomasWard

Well, I wouldn't trust that too much then, eh? :biglaugh:

budwhite likes this.
  8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Stella Blue #10 works for me.

9. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

It may just be a matter of copying the same description for different ones, but I'm also suspicious about how it says the track list of #20 is obscured by the attached bonus disc. Err, it certainly shouldn't be.

10. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

“You know, you know, all things must pass and all that s**t.”

DrLunchbox likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

those might be bootlegs but there are official unnumbered ones. these were promo's, store copies, etc. not sure how many exist though but there is always an american seller who has 1 or 2 of each daves release unnumbered with a scratched bar code shortly after the release date

Six Bachelors likes this.
  12. pterodactyl

pterodactyl Forum Resident

I guess I'm coming late to this discussion, but I heard the bass extension right away and it flipped me out. Probably because I'm a bass player and I have played the bass in question. While I appreciate the search for low end, using synthesized bass really detracts from the sound for me. That instrument has a very specific harmonic signature and using a synthesizer pretty much obliterates it. Which one he used isn't really an issue, there are a number of them out there. I've used them myself while mixing, and they are great for what they do, but the key is to make it so that you can't really tell that an additional octave is present. I'm sincerely hoping this is a one off and that at some point a non-enhanced version becomes available. Otherwise it's a great release (and I disagree with the previous poster about Weir in Bird Song, I was just thinking how much loved his playing on that song). Bass aside, Jeffrey did a fantastic job providing a clear, spacious recording from such an old source. The drums are wonderful. I think this will be a favorite.

[​IMG]

zongo, hyde park, Dominick and 16 others like this.
  13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I got my shipping notice this morning. One week after it arrived.

14. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

don't waste your secondary market money on that Boulder 81 release

15. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Just got mine as well, at first I thought it was RFK shipping.

16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

me too

17. MikeP5877

RFK was my first thought too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I still don't have my copy of DaP24. I called Dead.net and they said that it had shipped and should be here by early next week. That seems pretty late when everybody else has had their copy for a week or more.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Me too!!!

20. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Peak extension is kind of a subset feature in HDCD mastering. You can still use the Pacific Microsonics A->D workstation to master in HDCD, but the mastering engineer can choose to employ the peak extension feature to get the full benefits (in theory at least). The last few years worth of GD HDCD releases no longer feature peak extension employed although even before that there would be GD HDCD releases without it here and there.

bmoregnr likes this.
  21. MikeP5877

The primary market was waste enough.

ducksdeluxe and *Zod* like this.
  22. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Whoa! Is that the real Big Brown? If so badass and how does it compare to other bass' that you're used to?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    ianuaditis and notesofachord like this.
  23. pterodactyl

pterodactyl Forum Resident

That is the real Big Brown, which was at Alembic for documentation, etc. It's an amazing instrument and has the bloom that you get when playing through a loud amp where the notes develop resonance and focus through acoustic coupling (not quite feedback) acoustically. You can really feel it. But, my Starfire, which has Series II electronics and Alembic hardware and is from the same year, is pretty close. A bit different, but not worse or better. They are both '67's but Big Brown has a much thicker neck (as well as an ebony fingerboard, which wasn't the case at the time of this recording) and the headstock replacement. Where my bass has the edge is that it is quieter. The electronics in Big Brown were adapted from 1960s telephone multiplexing technology, where frequency precision was extremely important but noise wasn't, so no matter what you do with the filters, there's a fair bit of noise. but it's really fun to play. Ron was nice enough to pop the top and give me a tour of the guts, as well.

Here's mine. I originally had the caramel pickups in there, but they died. They were super low impedance and sounded great, so I'm hoping to get them resurrected. You can also see the collateral damage from bridge and pickup experiments!

[​IMG]

24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Welcome, ye winged lizard man with incredible low-range guitar instruments!

25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I agree with your entire post, but in particular the bolded part. And, oh my! To play Big Brown - I'm so jealous.

I'm just surprised that so many listeners can't hear the false low octave sound. It's obvious (and annoying) to me. Either that or they can hear it and actually like it - which is even more surprising.

Crispy Rob, Dahabenzapple and Archtop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.