Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Regarding Henry Cow, I saw Fred Frith live for 2 sets a couple of years back - both small groups with Ches Smith on drums and it was close to the best guitar playing I’ve ever heard live. I have a few of his improvised based recordings and I listen when I can.

bzfgt and footlooseman like this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

The label hasn't done itself any favors by making the various compilations all sound alike in terms of naming. Some are great, some so-so and other overlap with others but it's very unclear what's what. So, I've done nothing.

I'll send you a few youtube viddies if you wouldn't mind.

Problem is that I have enough budget to buy music or to travel and the limited travel I do is with my wife and she wouldn't be into that. We'll see how things evolve. Plus, I find it difficult to get up for shows these days and have for several years.

I saw Wynton Marsalis there in 1987 or so. That was more in line with the staid persona.

US Blues and Dahabenzapple like this.
  4. kdawg

kdawg Senior Member

I was listening to this earlier tonight. I like it, don't love it. It's about as good as Dick's 6. The issue is the mix for me. at least on disc 1, the guitars are too far back. but you could say the same for d6.

the vocals are not great, Brent kind of holds a bunch of the songs together, covering for jerry's voice. he just didn't seem to have it vocally this night.

5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Fish Rising is wonderful. It's actually the first Gong-related thing that I ever heard. I randomly bought a used LP of it many years ago because the album cover intrigued me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

The band made mistakes and we love them for it. That has nothing to do with the production of this set though. Leaving out a part of the song due to a crappily done audience patch is an error by the producer and/or engineer. We don’t love them for their errors...do we?

jazz_case, bzfgt, KCWhistle and 4 others like this.
  7. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Wow - working thru this release it does not get better - my second impression is no better than the first. General speediness (is this at the right speed?), unfortunate balances (horribly loud slide guitar and organ on Minglewood), obnoxious use of digital delay on vocals (Mama Tried, Big River w “garbage can” effect), poorly-performed Help on the Way...Perhaps the second half gets better?

This has gotta be one of their worst releases. It really reminds me of the old trading days when you’d get a new batch of tapes and there would be that one clunker you would painfully drag yourself through hoping to find any redeeming qualities...

This is really sub-standard, in terms of performance, balances and sound. I can’t fathom what Dave was thinking - does this really reflect the best of what the vault has to offer for the early ‘80’s?

Betty Boards and ‘70’s please. (One month to Pacific Northwest!)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  8. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I like discs 2 and 3. Not thrilled with disc 1.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Did anyone else hear Bobby playing Victim Or The Crime during Space during the most recent Dave's Picks, or has this high heat finally got to me?

10. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I wrote this a few days ago, I pulled it from my notes:
    If he started playing WRS Prelude in 1969, I could see him throwing 'Victim' in there as early as 83. The full tune was broken out at an acoustic gig in 87.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. John69

John69 Forum Resident

You heard it during Slipknot? I will have to check that out. Did you hear it during Space also?
    And I'm pretty sure Bobby started playing Victim Or The Crime in 1983 with Bobby And The Midnights, or whatever his band name was that year.

Matthew Tate, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  12. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Balances and sound, you aren't off, but I honestly think this sounds pretty good for an early 80s release myself. Gotta strongly disagree about the performance aspect, though. That second disc, in particular, sounds like a band on a hot streak.

13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It could have been space and I just wrote Slipknot! I haven't gotten a chance to check it out again.

I had no idea he did Victim that early, I'd love to hear that, but can't seem to find any Midnights online.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

If Bobby played Victim or the Crime with the Midnight's, and nobody remembers, did it really happen? :nyah:

15. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I remember @ Park West in Chicago w/mimosas:cool:
    When GD busted it out I thought that Bob was really struggling with writer's block.

US Blues likes this.
  16. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

I agree with this sentiment. I think it’s a very good sounding 80’s release. Better than DP #6 and DVP #20 for example...and the second disc is a beast...I also really, really like the Baby Blue. It grabbed my attention right away and held it.

jazz_case, US Blues, nitsuj and 4 others like this.
  17. notesofachord

There will always be folks that are unhappy when Dave steps outside of the '72 - '78 bubble, regardless of how strong the performance may be.

"Can't stand Brent"
    "They're playing too fast"
    "Cassette not as nice as Betty boards"
    "Drums sound like shoes in a dryer"
    "Weird effects on vocals"
    "Don't like new songs such as Day Job"

and on and on and on and on...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  18. notesofachord

Actually, I just played the DiP6 show a few days ago and Jerry is mixed louder and the vocals are mixed lower. In that regard, the Hartford show is better mixed. The reel-to-reel recording on Dave's 20 is a bit nicer, but the performance isn't as white-hot good as Boise '83, IMO, and there are a lot of audience patches.

19. David Beckwith

I’ve always felt that DP #6 has sounded a bit muffled, at least on my systems. This new release seems to sparkle a bit ore to my ears...it also sounds a bit fuller to me than DVP #20, but I haven’t A/B’d them. Will do so soon!

Crispy Rob and Doggiedogma like this.
  20. David Beckwith

#truth

Variety is the spice of life! I’m even fine for a nice Hornsby show to come out next year. Blasphemous in some circles, I know.

jazz_case, bzfgt, SBegonias17 and 3 others like this.
  21. John69

John69 Forum Resident

There is a show on LL from 1984 with Victim and I thought I remember it first being played in 1983 but can't remember where I saw that - a show on the hard drive maybe. An old deadbase - did they ever have Weir setlists in deadbase? db etree is down or I would check there.

mmthmj likes this.
  22. notesofachord

Indeed. Bruce really pushed the band to new heights during his short tenure for sure. I'd love to see a hot '91 show get released next year.

23. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Madison Square Garden 1990 is a perfect example of that. He gets them going right off the bat, getting the band to play like each moment counted. Maybe the last GREAT run I saw live. What a time!

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  24. John69

John69 Forum Resident

ianuaditis likes this.
  25. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

New lost Dead song: "Polishing a Turd".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.