Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Best show of the month.

RockRoom likes this.
  2. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Possibly the best bonus included on a GD live set to date. Sound quality is a bit worse than we've come to expect, but holy cow does this set of songs rock. They were on fire coming out of that Iko Iko!

Freebird and KCWhistle like this.
  3. JasW

JasW Forum non conveniens

That is where my collection and I have always been (although I recently added November '67 with the second trip around the sun from the Shrine Auditorium). I have nothing after Closing of Winterland. The last time I ever saw the Dead was two months before, at the 1978-10-18 show.

I'm excited for PNW, and I yawned when I heard DaP 27 would be '83. I hope DaP 28 is from the summer of '71, hopefully 1971-08-14. I'm tired of '77. It's good, maybe even great for what it is, but what it is is post-hiatus. 1971-74 is where it's at.

Ezzie, citizensmurf, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  4. US Blues

Although there are no Betty Boards after Winterland closes, there are some shows from January and February of 1979 that are well worth you attention,

Spadeygrove likes this.
  5. JasW

JasW Forum non conveniens

I've listened to parts of a couple of shows from those two months, but I won't add them to my collection. It's not that my preference is supposed to line up neatly with K&D's departure. The phrase"Closing of Winterland" has a nice finality to it. It's very much a personal thing for me. I contemporaneously moved on from the Dead after '78, a year that had been an odd listening blend of both the Clash and the Dead, i.e., punk/new wave and what's now called classic rock. I saw Blondie in Berkeley, and both Elvis Costello and the Dead in Winterland that year. 1979 was the year that it became all post-punk/new wave all of the time. Gang of Four, Joy Division, more Clash, etc. I didn't come back to the Dead until later in the 80s, and that was when I picked up S&R and then E72 on CD. Whatever the Dead did in the 80s and 90s had no interest for me, and still doesn't.

6. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Yeah 9390 has made it to midsummer … I mean Royal Wootton Bassett

boagas1883, US Blues and Freebird like this.
  7. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Don't think many here will complain with back-t-back '76/'77 Dave's. More likely we'll see a '77/'79'/76 or '76/'79/'77 type constellation for the next few.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I’ll complain. :wave:

I’d like to see a ‘68 to complement the recent Anthem of the Sun release. Something special for the supporters of the Dave’s Picks series.

And after that I’m thinking we’ll see a 79.

Paul Remesic and ducksdeluxe like this.
  9. Paul Remesic

Paul Remesic Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the returned Betty Boards include anything from Jan-Feb '79?

Stat1516 likes this.
  10. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

We're probably getting a late '68 show with the Aoxomoxoa re-release. And then an early '69 (perhaps 1/26/69 - Avalon Ballroom, 2 tracks made it on Live Dead and the show is less than 80 mins IIRC) if they re-release Live/Dead along the same lines. I could also see next year as when we finally get our Ark Box.

I think that era will be well covered in the next 18 months.

I think a '76 entry as one of the next three is a slam dunk. I would of said '79 as well, but the '83 release kind of puts that on the burner for a bit - I think it will be no more often than one every 4-6 entries outside of '69-78.

We'll be due a '78 again before we get a '77 (remember Dave's 25 was '77 in this year's set) looking at release frequency. Also will be due '70, '72, '73, and '74 as well. I think the PNW box takes '73/74 off the table for a bit. My guess is that we will get a Fall '72 show for the one to drive subscriptions (Dave's 29 - perhaps we finally get 9/28).

If I had to guess the next three:

28 - 1976
    29 - Fall '72
    30 - Spring 1978

11. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

IIRC Live Dead is not part of the 50th Anniversary releases as they are only doing that with the studio albums.

ianuaditis and Freebird like this.
  12. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

9-28-72 would be AWESOME as the opening pick for 2019...my initial thought was a 77 as every year they have opened the new year with a 73, 74 or 77 show...but 72 would fit that bill as well.

13. David Beckwith

I remember it being one of my favorites for sure. I honestly haven't listened to it in many years as I keep on thinking, "it'll be released soon so wait for that." One day. One day it will!

SBegonias17, Freebird and US Blues like this.
  14. Freebird

Solid reasoning SBegonias17.

9/28/72 is my favorite show.

15. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Not 12/21/68 :/ I exchanged emails with Dave and he said no go.

Matthew Tate, Freebird and anth67 like this.
  16. SBegonias17

I believe that @US Blues would have a better idea than me, as the resident expert on that era, but from what I’ve seen/read, I do not believe anything has returned from early ‘79.

17. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I'm having a hard time finding anything suitable from late 68 on RL. So many recordings from that period have big cuts. I wonder if it'll be a RT-style curation. My choice would be 8/21/68 but I think it's too long to fit on a single disc. Please don't edit that one.

I would think that they would release something that has some Aoxomoxoa songs on it. The only song they played from the album in 1968 as far as I can tell is Rosemary on 12/7, so perhaps it'll be early 69 instead. But once again WTF do I know about what they're thinking.

18. SBegonias17

St. Stephen is on most of the shows from the latter half of ‘68, but point well taken.

I was surprised with the selections for both rereleases so far, probably will be for this one as well.

Freebird likes this.
  19. US Blues

Sadly, I do not believe Betty was taping on those tours. No SBDMR's have ever circulated from that time, I am confident we'd have seen them if they existed. Naturally, I pray to Allah that I am wrong, and that as we speak Dave is preparing the 10 January 1979 show to lead off next year as a 40th Anniversary pick.

Well, I can dream, can't I? :love:

Crispy Rob, Freebird and SBegonias17 like this.
  20. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

There was at least one Mountains of the Moon in December, too (12/20). And the Hartbeats did a Cosmic Charlie in October...not that Bob would earmark that for an Aoxomoxoa release....!

For this one, I'd actually be okay with them compiling a live version of every song (even the What's Become of the Baby noodle-over from 4/26)...including Clementine, of course : ) With Jeffrey taking his best stab at that Rosemary recording from 12/07 for historical purposes. Please only pelt me with soft fruits and vegetables for suggesting a compilation. Hey, they could even tack on the studio William Tell with bagpipes.

(1/24/69 would work, too)

21. Freebird

Side note:

The Go To Nassau is a good sounding release so something good should be able to come out of the 80’s.

Maybe?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    KCWhistle, trd and US Blues like this.
  22. David Beckwith

Yah. And lots more good 80’s choices in my book waiting in the wings.

23. US Blues

That's a multitrack recording, not a cassette SBD.

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes. Then later in 1980 they recorded the Warfield and Radio City runs on multitrack for Reckoning/Dead Set, but most of what they didn't use on the albums was erased and reused (as I think we discussed recently in one of the threads here).

Freebird and US Blues like this.
  25. Freebird

Not to distract from from the thread but the Heartbeat shows got me thinking, IIRC, there were some guest appearances on those Heartbeat shows.

Are guest appearances on Dave’s Picks off the table?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.