Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I'm working the two 50th Anniversary shows in Portland. Feb 2 & 3 I think are the dates. Wait until those old Deadheads get trapped on the ballroom floor all jammed together, no room to dance. Twirling allowed in the back of the mezzanine.

Hope they found a singer. I can't take Phil vocals other than Box of rain.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Erm. What? 2/2 & 3 where? Pray, tell me more.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

The Crystal..Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  4. libertycaps

[​IMG]
    From this.

[​IMG]
    To this.

We've come a long strange trip way, baby!

5. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

one vote for 8/21/68 Fillmore West!

6. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

I'd be happy with the second Shrine show, 11/11/67. Multitrack!

US Blues, dgwint, ronbow and 5 others like this.
  7. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I think a good multi-track recording from this era would be an excellent choice.

JRM likes this.
  8. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Those two shows sold out within minutes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

@pbuzby usually knows this kind of thing- is there much left from 67-68, especially multitrack, besides (maybe) 11-11-67?

My understanding is almost everything that was recorded for Anthem was basically destroyed in the process (cutting and splicing of tape etc.)

It will be interesting to see what they come up with, it'd have to be from a pretty small window of time to make it relevant to Anthem, IMO. Late summer of 68 is already into Aoxomoxa and Live/Dead territory, at least conceptually. Anthem is more Summer 67-Spring 68. ( I know they're not constrained to that, but the 66 show being tied to the debut makes it seem like a factor.)

budwhite likes this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

That is my understanding too, although maybe there are some things left. I remember the second half of the "New Potato Caboose" jam from Anthem is not on any recording on the Archive (the first half is from 3-17-68 which was in the Download Series) so if they have more of that show it could be interesting.

scoutbb and ianuaditis like this.
  11. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Could the Owsley Estate/Archive have a few 68s?

ianuaditis and JRM like this.
  12. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

"For Dave's Picks Vol. 26, we're heading back to the Fall of 1971, when Pigpen was home resting, and Keith was a month into his tenure with the Grateful Dead, for the complete show on 11/17/71 in Albuquerque. This was the Dead's first show in New Mexico, and they welcomed the welcoming New Mexican crowd with some of the best music they played in all of 1971. The 15-song first set is only outdone by the spectacular second set, featuring one of the most powerful and intense versions of "The Other One" you'll ever hear, as well as a "Not Fade Away" that rivals the one played two nights earlier on 11/15/71 in Austin. Add to this that CD 3 is rounded out with half of the 12/14/71 show in Ann Arbor (with Pigpen back on stage!), and the 2018 Dave's Picks Subscribers' Bonus Disc features the other half of 12/14/71, and you have a release featuring two of the best shows of the second half of 1971." - David Lemieux

Due to the high velocity of sales, there is a very good chance that Dave's Picks Subscriptions* could sell out the series this year, so please subscribe if you don't want to miss out.

*Limited to 5 units per order. Subscriptions will close at 11:59PM PT on 12/22.

NorCal, adamos, Kevin55 and 4 others like this.
  13. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Dave's Picks 26: Albuquerque, 11/17/71.

Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  14. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Yeah, what he said.

dajokr, Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

wow. usually you can subscribe until sometime in January

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Awesome, and presumably doofus-skeleton-artwork free (and hopefully octave bass weirdness free). This is already shaping up to be another great year of releases.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. libertycaps

DaP 26 = 11-17-71 & 12-14-71? Hmmmmm. Well, i'm a massive fan of RT 3.2, so this should satisfy the HEE-HAW in me. That Set II of Albuquerque looks massif. Would rather have the complete 12-15-71 as a stand alone pick. That Set II is one for thee ages. Hopefully, in the future....

Oh. There's not weirdness about 666 PHIL LESH BASS TERROR 666 if your home rig can handle it! :frog:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My home rig can handle whatever Phil can throw at it, but I can tell the notes he actually played from those that have been digitally altered. Just as shinola and some other substance are both brown, both bass tones are loud and deep, but one is real and the other ain't.

19. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Approved

Lil' Brian and dajokr like this.
  20. libertycaps

Let's just revel in the Phil Doppelganger Full Norman "effect" and that fact that our home rigs and dedicated listening spaces can reveal both. Me? I absolutely embrace and love Experimentation. Chaos. & Theory. It's in the bones and in the blood or it's not. Phil would and/or did approve.

This is our Passion. End of.

21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Do you think #26 is what Dave talked about or did he change his mind? Is the Albuquerque show uncirculated or perhaps from a bad source? Otherwise I can't see anything spectacular about this release

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. SBegonias17

Both shows circulate in their entirety, but I would certainly say that 11/17 is under the radar (11/14 and 11/15 get the buzz). 12/14 is well known and well thought of in trading circles.

So either Dave changed his mind or, more likely, took a broader view of under the radar than most of us speculating did.

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Second set big jam from Ann Arbor is almost the same as Albuquerque. Not complaining though. Looking forward to this release! But yeah, a Dark Star would have been nice

24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

ugh, looks like I may have to order. I don't think my girlfriend ended up getting me the subscription for xmas. bad part I really don't have the money at the moment. I spent it on gifts for everyone else assuming I was getting the 2018 subscription for xmas

25. SBegonias17

The big news is that they may sell out through subscriptions - I’m sure that’s their preference.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.