Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Wonder how many bought tickets for both shows? Sure seems like a no-brainer in hindsight.

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Various Fillmore East stage photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I'm at work so not the most attentive listening but loving the energy on the 1/2 late show.

SteveFff and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this one! I got the "Your order is on the way!" shipping notice 9 days ago, which, as we know, doesn't really mean much. But it's been 9 days now, and the tracking number they gave me is coming up with zilch on both UPS and USPS. Should I be concerned?

Anyone else still waiting?

beatboy1975 and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. anth67

Love how every band member is watching Pigpen. (Maybe Billy's watching Mickey, but close enough.) Pig holding court onstage, sweet photo.

6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I had the same situation until yesterday. I reached out to customer service twice until I got them to do something about it-now it is in Springfield, Mass and on the way. Be persistent.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I still gotta wonder how much GD / Rhino is actually saving on the “Mailing Innovations” level of dis-service.

Jack_Straw and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Got mine yesterday... first one I’ve ever gotten that arrived damaged. The mailer needs a lil reinforcement. Even the flimsy cardboard was better

jeffsab and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Sorry to stay off topic here but I’ll second this. And to my ears, Charlie Miller’s transfers sound significantly better than the original DP 4 mastering to boot.

Crispy Rob, KDubATX and AlienRendel like this.
  10. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Just like the CM sourced 5/2/70 sounds better than DP 8.

Crispy Rob, ratstack and budwhite like this.
  11. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

That new 48K 5-2-70 of Charlie's from last year sounds truly wonderful. I believe that was straight from Dick Latvala's DAT.

I think for DP #4 shows I prefer the release as the edges are a bit softer. Charlie's are a bit louder and more forceful and depending on one's system certainly may sound better.

The February 1969 Fillmore West run from the Box Set and the Miller tapes sounds a bit different. The drums on Charlie's sound more open while the other instruments are more direct on the Box Set. Depends on my mood which one I want to listen to. :^)

12. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Let's ask Bear...
    Here are more songs from the shows I derived Bear's Choice from... lacking those parts previously released in Bear's Choice. It is a kind of musical "puree" made by mix-and-match. I had little say on the format here. In fact, I was criticised for suggesting that each night be released as a whole show (with the Bear's Choice parts included) on separate albums,in a set. But then, what do I know about such things? Perhaps if there is enough interest they may eventually do it. Each show was many hours long- way to long for more than a single show per night. I don't know about Love's usual gigging habits,but the other two bands liked to play long sets. Two set changes took time- the Allmans played a relatively long set, each night filled two 45 min reels- and there were jams. Love's set was pretty short, about 45 minutes. Sat night's set went on until well after midnight, Note on the box says "ends 5:38 AM. The Dead always played long shows in those days, during which they took a break, dividing their set into two parts as was the practice for almost their whole career. There are some missing tapes from 11 Feb and of some of the jams, also for a couple of Love's sets, tape was short and Love did not impress me, and I had not real interest in keeping them in my diary- so with the vain hope each night that they would improve, I used the same reel of tape over- thus I only have the last show- all their sets were less than 45 min and thus fit on a single reel. I always recorded all the bands and all the sets I mixed on all my shows like some people keep a diary, at least so long as I had enough money to buy reels of blank tape- sometimes I didn't, but cassettes were also made of all shows. We are going to search the cassette boxes to further details on these shows.

Ok, everybody- time for a little more history. I want to correct of a bit of false information about this series of shows which originated with Dick Latvala. It was his idea there was an "early show" and a "late show" on each night, which was based on the fact that this was a usual practice at the Fillmore East at the time for other shows. He claimed I must not have recorded any of the bands first sets, or somehow (not explained), only those tapes from the series were lost. This was based on his interpretation of some remarks made by Zacherle as he introduced the the Dead's (only) show on Saturday, which began shortly after midnight on Sunday. He persisted with this nonsense in spite of my efforts to convince him otherwise- which I found odd- since I was there and did the setups and did the sound mix for all three bands, while he was not even in the hall. The truth is that the year before the Dead had told Bill Graham they would not again do two shows on a night at the Fillmore East after a double show booked in Feb '69 with Janis Joplin and her new band Cosmic Blues. The band normally played two sets (you could call it a "split set") with a short break- 30+ min average, and did not like having to play veryshort sets to two different audiences, with a break of considerable length between sets. Also we- the crew- had protested about all the extra work we had to do setting up and tearing down for two shows. At that time, NO other venue required this practice, only FE. I think this is why Bill scheduled three bands for this series of shows, perhaps as a kind of get-even for our refusal to go along with his routine.

Anyone who managed to pass 6th grade math can figure out there could not have been two shows with three bands in a night- but for those who are math-challenged I will spell it out for you: Show starts at 8PM ...actually it never in the real world started exactly at 8, The show was quite late starting on Sat, apparently due to some problems with the gear- I don't remember the details. Allmans then played over an hour, averaging approximately an hour and fifteen minutes to an houra nd a half (check out their album). They played the same set of songs in the same order each night, with some jamming on Saturday. Allmans have a large setup similar to the Dead, with two drummers. First set change takes 30 min, rushing, 45 min at normal pace. Second act Love plays a very short set, between 30 and 45 minutes. The second set change took 45 minutes due to the two large setups which had to be moved. The Dead played in a split set format as usual, with the second set starting off with acoustic, and then segueing into electric, total Dead with the inter-set break was about 2 and a half to three hours, rather a bit shorter than (the sometimes seen in those days) four full hours, except for the Sat night show- which ended at well past 5 AM- according to my note on the tape box, at 5:58 AM. Add this all up, and you get a total of an absolute minimum of 5 hours and fifteen minutes to a max of a bit over 8 hours (Saturday's show lasted ~9 hours including the extensive jams- none of which have been included on CD release- and something I am pushing for. There also were jams each night (can't find all the tapes of the jams). The second show start time at FE on nights the usual two show format was followed was 11:30, with a one hour audience clearance break, so the first show always ended at 10:30,and the FE staff were like a mob of Nazis on that timing. Even an F student in math can see that there is only two and a half hours total time for both music and set changes available between 8 and 10:30. Let me state here unequivocally, that there were NO "early or late shows" which no-one, for some unexplained reason bothered to record- (FE sound staff also made secret-from me- recordings in the basement fro a tap in the PA lines- and their tapes duplicate mine except the used larger reels and had some bits not on my tapes due to my changing reels in mid song. I say unexplained, because I even have tapes of the sound checks in my archives. Actually to be accurate there were no "late shows", since the shows all were ticket for and officially started at ~8PM during this run. Anyone who can come forward with a genuine ticket (verifiable by GDP and BGP as authentic) for any show in this run with a starting time other than 8PM will be given US $1000 cash by me personally. Hey-- why don't all those who so fervently believe (while none were there on the nights) that there was indeed two shows- why don't you all get together and start a fund by collecting $100 from each believer and put it in a trust. If I prevail on this, I get the whole kitty, and if I am proven wrong, each person gets his or her $100 back and the person who can prove it gets my $1000. Put your money where your foolish mouth is. I am tired of hearing this bloody nonsense.

As a further note, the band did not play any "other venues" in NYC during the period around the date (nor in fact, around any other date, anywhere while on tour). They were under contract to BG, and trust me, he would never allow any band he contracted to any of his venues to play anywhere else in the vicinity, especially near the date. This had been a critical factor in the demise of the Carousel Ballroom in San Francisco in 1968.

There are many tapes in circulation which claim to be of "rare" shows. The reason these shows are "rare" is usually because they never happened. In addition there are many tapes in circulation which are not as marked. The only way a person can be sure the tape in their hand is of the show written on the box is if they were at the show and recorded the tape themselves on their own machine. From the feedback I have had, and the tapes I have listened to, I estimate 30% or more of both audience and "board" tapes/CD's are either mislabeled or faked.

Albums

ianuaditis, bmoregnr, Ezzie and 16 others like this.
  13. David Beckwith

Whoa! Good stuff, @scribbs! That all does make sense as I have scratched my head on the whole timing of all that.

14. anth67

With all due (mad) respect, Bear was apparently mistaken. The first reviewer in the new liner notes clearly was ushered out after the early show, his first Dead show "was over" by his own account. This is a year after the Feb '69 appearance Bear claims put the kabosh on playing to separate audiences same night. And the expanded Bear's Choice ~ issued after this essay ~ identifies "Good Lovin" from the Feb '70 run as being from the Early Show. Even if you don't trust the latter documentation, the concertgoer's experience on 1/02 is pretty clear. And you see this yet again on 5/15/70.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  15. runonguinness

runonguinness Forum Resident

That is well argued by Bear but wrong. Why do ticket stubs of Fri 13 1970 11:30pm and Sat 14 8:00 exist if there were not two shows per night? Why would anyone go to the trouble of producing a fake 11:30 Friday ticket? Why would that be more valuable than a 8:00 ticket other than to get Bear's $1000 when he would just claim it's a fake.
    gd70 02 13late tix — Postimage.org
    gd70 02 14t davmar777 — Postimage.org

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For Feb/March 69 the Miller tapes are a different mix from the box set. For 2/13-14/70 and 5/2/70 Miller and the Dick's Picks are from the same source.

budwhite likes this.
  17. notesofachord

I think that Bear is remembering the An Evening With The Grateful Dead shows from the spring summer and fall of ‘70. In those Jan/Feb shows they were likely still playing two shows.

18. David Beckwith

Yes, correct.

19. David Beckwith

Now my head hurts!

ianuaditis, Smokin Chains and anth67 like this.
  20. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Finally had a proper listen to 30. Jaw dropping performances, especially the 3rd disc. Lovelight is on fire. The call and response from Pigpen and Bob is fantastic, and that kind of vocal rhapsody is what Bob's voice was made for.

21. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Sorry.

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

According to the Bear he is never wrong. :whistle:

23. beatboy1975

beatboy1975 Amateur Appreciator

I'm still waiting for mine here in Portland. Tracking "information" provided in my shipping notice is utterly, literally useless. I've made two phone calls, sent three emails to Dead.net, and I've got nothing in return except for two-and-a-half weeks of frustration. I wouldn't be surprised if I receive Dave's 31 before Dave's 30. Please Mister Postman!

Matthew Tate and trd like this.
  24. notesofachord

[​IMG]

Ezzie, beatboy1975 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Kind of crazy we got 2 of the 15 Mason's children's performances with Dave's 30. The one one the bonus disc is pretty psychedelic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.