Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The Land of Enchantment representing. :tiphat:

2. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I love NM.

US Blues and zephyr25 like this.
  3. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

I’m glad that you like this release but perhaps I can lend a protagonist point of view.

With only 4 shows released a year I think every show should be as close to top shelf/bucket list material as possible. People are paying their hard earned money for these picks.

I think this is a cool show - but that’s it. Not release worthy by any stretch. More pointedly, Jerry is not on his game. There are times where he is clearly struggling and other times where he sounds listless.

This is an unfortunate thread I’ve found running through many of Dave’s picks - where Jerry’s playing is not his best and he is not “ON”. Either Dave cannot recognize this or this is not his main consideration - I’m not sure which.

Frustrating for me since I have been a subscriber since day one and will continue to be.

4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I can't say that I necessarily disagree with your overall sentiment, but I tend to listen to fragments and segments, not shows. If I get a 3-minute or a 7-minute WOW moment in a release, it's pretty much served its purpose for me. If I get a 60-minute improv segment that's really good, that's gravy. Maybe you missed my initial reaction which was stating that this is a "crap show." I got lambasted for that comment. I have since clarified my position upon further listens.

I can't say that the DaP series has been consistently excellent. The curated series from Dick Latvala is generally much better, despite his approach, which seems to be hated by many. Of course, he had the whole enchilada upon which to draw. My take is that Dave doesn't want to dry up the well too soon. Clearly, they have some gems left in the vault: 9/28/72 being a prime example. I figure we get one of these per year for the next 10-20 years. Then we get other shows that meet the full-show criteria foot-stomped by so many minions as to not go unheard.

If the hoard would allow the release of curated material, the release to release quality would improve on average, IMO. Since that does not appear to be an acceptable option, we get what they choose. And they choose to be in this game for years to come.

5. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I agree with this. It's strange to me that so many people seem to simultaneously believe that they should only release full shows, and also that if they don't "spread things out" they'll run out of truly great shows too quickly. Personally, I'd rather they just focus on releasing great music -- both great shows and curated sets of great performances.

6. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I remember being at a Dead show (second night of a two night stand) and a guy was complaining how the first night Jerry "didn't have it, so I walked out in the first set". All I could do was think what a ***** he was for walking out on a Dead show. Complaining anout a Dave's release kina reminds me about that. Every show that gets released is a new experience. Relish it for what it is. It may not be your favorite, but it's still the dead...how can it be bad.

I'm not sure how many great sounding shows they have unreleased in the vault...nobody knows but the Dead family. We don't know how much longer Dave's picks will be around. Maybe they will curate more shows in a Road trips format. Maybe they will reissue things. Maybe the releases will stop altogether. Every new release is a good thing. I may not love every one, but I love that they are getting released.

WaterLemon, bzfgt, Ezzie and 10 others like this.
  7. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Well said.

acetboy likes this.
  8. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Reminds me of the old joke:

"It was terrible, the mix was bad, Jerry forgot lines, the playing was uninspired, it was torture to listen to......and way too short"

9. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

And every show you listen to is another two to three hours spent in the presence of Jerry's spirit. You may not listen to it more than once, but the band only played it and lived through it the one time themselves.

10. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

None of us can say how many great sounding shows they have unreleased but we can name 50 which would be much more worthy than 12/3/79. Of course, this is just my opinion but what isn’t my opinion is that they is a ton of great sounding, unreleased material in the vault.

11. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

"I'll take 50 Additional Great Sounding Releases" for $1000, Alex." :^)

giantleech, WaterLemon, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

And remember:

If you really dislike it - sell it. There's no reason to keep something that you dislike on the shelf. "But, but, they're be a missing number on the shelf when I look at my Dave's collection!".

Yeah, I can't help you with your OCD, sorry.

13. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Quote from the Landover parking lot just after the show, 9/03/88: "I don't do Bobby encores."

All these years later, I still have no sympathy for that guy missing Ripple.

14. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

In my advancing years, I've definitely left a few shows early, but I'd never walk out of a show I wanted to see because the first set wasn't up to snuff.

bzfgt likes this.
  15. Crosseyed

I’ll say it again with only 4 shows released a year every show should be top shelf/bucket list material. There’s no excuse for weaker stuff.

Doggiedogma, dgwint and Coltrane811 like this.
  16. notesofachord

The problem is:

Is there a consensus of what is "bucket list/top shelf"? All fans of this band have different preferences and not everyone worships at the altar of '72-'78.

For example, I didn't find 1/22/78 as mind-blowing as everyone else, but I recognize that it's a very good show with some unique moments. I appreciate that it came out and that most folks consider it "top shelf". For me, 1/2/70 (Dave's 30) and 2/2/70 (Dave's 6) are "top shelf" and yet some folks don't like Pigpen stuff and sold their copies.

See?

jay.dee, GerryO, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  17. Crosseyed

There’s a collective mind - deadheads invented this kind of thinking⚡️

That list posted by Rob? - I think that’s his name - is a good place to start.

There’s no denying a classic show and there are plenty of them where Jerry’s playing is effortless and sublime.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  18. notesofachord

Like I said earlier in the thread, unless Dave gets fired and someone else steps in that uses this so-called "collective mind", then nothing will change. Dave likes what he likes, all 20,000 copies sell out, the band/Rhino/ABCD get their money and the ball keeps rolling.

We can complain online about what gets released as much as we want, but unless they stop selling out, nothing will change. It's just blowing smoke...

19. Crosseyed

Yes I agree.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

For me, if they only released Garcia’s Close Encounters space I would have been satisfied.

21. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

I totally understand the sentiment as it was also my 1st impression.

Oddly enough, my car's been in the shop the last 3 weeks and I've had this set rotating through my parents car since then. So I've spent quite a bit of time w 31. After getting over the SQ issues, I've found much to love, especially on discs 2 and 3.

The FOTM is super slinky and I'm loving the majestic terrapin into PITB. Disc 3 is terrific!!! Lost>saint and the estimated>franklins>jam being true highlights .

It's very a interesting and pivotal time period for the band, leaving their 70s comfort zone for the newer, more "modern" sounds of the 80s.

As someone who hasn't delved deeply into this year, it find it quite fascinating and enjoyable. And if I want primal 69 , I'll go there; or arena perfect, I'll hit '77; or cosmic cowboy psychedelia, 72 is my choice.

As someone who prefers physical media, I'm glad they're branching out a bit.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, Crosseyed and 2 others like this.
  22. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

I guess I have now "virtually" walked out of a show, because after finishing discs 1 and 2 of Dave's 31, I can't bring myself to put in disc 3. I'm glad to hear the filler is better, though, because the 12/3 show has been a tough slog so far. I look forward to trying it soon, and hope for the best.

Seriously, though, I can't think of a show that I've heard that has been so consistently mediocre. The better moments (hardly transcendent, and definitely not reaching any kind of noteworthy "high" - IMHO, of course) are far outweighed by the cringeworthy moments.

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the 3rd disc is the best disc

Crosseyed and Doggiedogma like this.
  24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Jerry may have messed up the lyrics, but he never forgot lines.

25. trd

trd Forum Resident

At worst he’d spill a little on his shirt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.