Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Listening to all of set one of 7/25/74 and part of set two after the recent discussion, I'll mention that it too has a fine Scarlet.

2. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Luckily, my subscription copy of Dave's 31 arrived safe and sound, and no one has needed my "extra copy" yet. So it's just sitting there...

3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I need to listen to that Dark Star. I defended it a little before but I have never really listened to it properly, with attention. I always mean to. I'll listen to it tonight, but probably not with full attention...I may get to that tomorrow.

US Blues likes this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I listened to it again. Never noticed before that Phil is absent for a large part of it (as Mr. Rain mentioned) which is kind of a bummer, but I still enjoy the proto-"Slipknot" very much and the weirdness before it is pretty cool, and there's several minutes of good "normal" "Dark Star" improv at the beginning before Phil takes his break.

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Phil drives the Scarlet Begonias with a powerful bass line, kickin' it through the WOS.

KDubATX, budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

You'd think he'd have learned his lesson after 1968-02-14

7. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Well, I'll go to the top of my stairs ;)

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I read somewhere about how on 7-19-74 Phil walked off because he needed a bathroom break and Jerry wouldn't stop playing. Maybe the person who told that story was thinking of 7-25.

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Bill said the same thing about Jerry.
    Bill and Phil probably drank a bunch more beer than Jerry

10. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

I don't think Jerry was much of a drinker. But Phil and Billy definitely were, at least back in the day. "I started out on Heineken but soon hit the harder stuff".

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Worst Dark Star pre-'78 goes to CSN.

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

But save the nuclear arsenal when we have to face off with Dave Matthews Band fans.

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Just relistened to Dave's 31 aka Chicago 12/3/79 Disc 1 (hey, kids, use dates and locations when you can for those of us who existed in the space/time continuum before arbitrary Dave's and Dick's and Road Trips volume numbers were assigned). My first impression last time was pretty solid but unremarkable set and Althea was too slow. This time around, perhaps paying more attention, perhaps not, it was so so until about mid-way through It's All Over Now where, much like many shows I attended where the band needed to warm up a bit, everything clicked. This time I dug the Althea a lot more (and it was much better than the 12/31/79 Althea I hear earlier today). Anyway, while not an all timer, the back half of the first set seemed on this listen to have enough X-factor to make me see at least part of why it got picked by Dave in between his attention getting diverted by various waterfowl. Yeah, 12/1/79 is clearly better, but also well known and we have had the soundboard reel in circulation since before many people here were born and anyone with any kind of moxy (in the parlance of our times) at all already has it, so I am coming around to thinking this was a pretty solid under the radar pick.

14. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

didn't they say on Festival Express that that was one of the only times a lot of people ever saw Garcia hammered?
    That Tele looks suspiciously shopped onto that pic
    [​IMG]

15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

That’s George Harrison s tele, George gave to Delaney bramlett

Here’s more of Jerry playing a tele, great shots at 4:50:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  16. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

When do the subscriptions for the coming year generally go up for sale? Like, when should I be watching out for 2020 subscription info?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I ordered ASAP as far as I remember and my confirmation email is from 10/25/2018 3:11pm pst.

Matthew Tate and MattG like this.
  18. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I recall this year's sub being announced slightly after the last pick of 2018 went on sale (ala carte). DaP 32 is supposed to be released 11/1, so sometime around or after that I would guess.

Matthew Tate, ianuaditis and MattG like this.
  19. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

Dave's 31 showcases the format.....this is how 12/3/79 lives, and for that reason Space is my favorite part of the show. With headphones, the (glorious) sound of the cassette winds away in the left channel. By the time Sailor>Saint rolls around, it's kind of amazing what was achieved with cassettes in 1979.
    The filler ain't too shabby either (where is it on the Giants release? Surely the 78 Scarlet>Fire coulda made it).

trd, Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  20. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I've just got (promised) a full subscription refund after I reported to them a 98€ invoice for a transport and fuel surcharge (sic!) I had got from UPS.

I wonder whether Warner/Rhino had laid off all the personnel responsible for (capable of?) handling physical product sales.

Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Heads will roll

US Blues likes this.
  22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Cassettes were at or near their peak by 1979

Crispy Rob and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Fatties.

Do I win a prize for finishing the sentence?

24. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Does the subscription cost cover 98 euro? Seems like you're still out a few bucks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Actually they are supposed to give me 12 euros ($13) back by the current conversion rate. I paid approx. 110 euros in mid-December (it wasn't an early bird subscription).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.