Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

So how do you manage files w/o itunes, when you're putting them on SD cards?

2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident Thread Starter

just drag and drop. No software required.

3. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Yes.
    I have all my music labeled in a windows folder in advance of dragging and dropping. How is your stuff organized now?
    I would guess the order you used to see it is the order you will see it now.

bzfgt likes this.
  4. bzfgt

Right now I put it in itunes and then if I have to, I name the tracks and number them. I don't think I can do anything like that directly with the FLAC files in finder or whatever.

5. bzfgt

What do you do if they play in the wrong order, or if the tracks are not named?

Wrong order might not be a problem if the FLACs are in order, I think they sometimes go into itunes and get reordered, but then itunes is just creating the problem it's solving. But you can add track numbers there.

Names I don't know.

6. dtuck90

there are plenty of tag editing tools available. Are you windows or mac?

bzfgt likes this.
  7. bzfgt

Mac. Are there any particular SD cards I should get? Just go to Amazon and type "SD cards"?

8. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

FLAC files should be tagged (within the files) with artist, album, and track number, and hopefully more than that. Any FLAC-capable player should understand these tags and display/play in order.

bzfgt likes this.
  9. dtuck90

xAct is a good tag editing freeware for Mac. MicroSD cards are the ones you need. Sandisk and Samsung probably most reliable. Some cheaper brands might not necessarily have the advertised capacity.

bzfgt likes this.
  10. bzfgt

Thank you!

11. bzfgt

I know sometimes when I decode them to WAV or whatever and put them in itunes, they don't have names and (less commonly) go into the ipod out of order...

12. dtuck90

WAV files can’t handle tags. FLAC or Apple Lossless has no problems.

13. bzfgt

Cool.

14. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Can anyone direct me to the Dave's Picks 2019 subscription thread? :wave:

15. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

XAct is good and it’s free. I also use an App called Tag, which I really like. Can do replay gain, etc. I believe it’s paid, but it’s not too expensive. I really like it.
    Tag from Feisty Dog

lambfan68, dtuck90 and bzfgt like this.
  16. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Dark Star
    St. Stephen
    Dire Wolf
    High Time
    Mexicali Blues
    Looks Like Rain
    Doin That Rag
    New Potato Caboose
    Unbroken Chain
    The above is what I first wrote a few days ago when someone started this. Now that @Matthew Tate brings it up, I might have to find room for The Stranger on there, maybe instead of Looks Like Rain.

Edit - I had only put 9! But what about Box of Rain? Friend of the Devil, etc.?
    For me whether I think about subscribing depends on the first couple of shows. If it's some combination of 74, 69 or 4-16-78, I'd have to think pretty hard about it.

I'd probably just end up giving most of them away though, my GD dollars are probably better geared towards the box sets/retail release stuff anyhow.

This is the only post on this page where I understand what's going on.

17. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That's an easy substitution. You can add The Rub as well without being penalized.

18. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

10 Favorite Dead Songs( deadicated to The Eleven)

Birdsong
    Franklins Tower
    Eyes of the World
    Cold Rain and Snow
    Fire on the Mountain
    Box of Rain
    Cumberland Blues
    Uncle Johns Band
    Terrapin Station
    Dire Wolf
    Brown Eyed Women

Apparently, I am not much of a Bobby fan.

WRT Daves Picks, I am close to done, I think. Feel like we're at the point of diminishing returns. Did not subscribe this year. Scored my 2/26/77 a la carte. Will try to get the 73 show on Tuesday, but if I don't it'll be OK.

KCWhistle, bzfgt, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  19. Doctor Jimmy

Doctor Jimmy From Bach to the Beach Boys

For me

The Other One
    China Cat Sunflower
    Brokedown Palace
    Wharf Rat
    Stella Blue
    Scarlet Begonias
    Eyes of the World
    Help on the Way
    The Music Never Stopped
    Estimated Prophet

20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I would suggest thinking about the files on your SD cards as folder views, so an artist has a folder, then 5 albums etc. Make sure your files are tagged properly including using a file name format where the file name starts with the track number. Most taggers I would think have the ability to bulk rename file names from your tag names + track numbers and vice versa.

Many players will use the tag names and track numbers to drive order of playing etc. so this folder view isn't necessary, still, you will need to manage the files on your card; you upgrade your Miles Davis Bitch's Brew to the MFSL and so you have to find where to replace it on the card. Also, back up the cards! I use the Fii0 X5ii and absolutely love it, basic, great, end of story; these things can get pretty finicky sometimes it seems. Anyway, the one thing about that X5ii is to exceed card limits, I have two 400gb cards, you have to eschew the "file managment" feature, and just use folder view; no problem, my cards are ready the way I want them. Additionally the X5ii has a quirk where in file view it shows the file name on the screen, not the tag name (that is only when using the file management feature); no problem my file names are ordered by track number so wham bam I'm ready to go. One thing to point out though is in file view you can't play by genre (unless your folders are set that way) or by random-- which people report as not being very random on a few of the older Fiio players anyway.

Note if you go with that folder view you have to make some choices about how you alphabetize, how you handle the The's, maybe album names start with year rather than name. This assumes you are not doing anything funky with genre based filing.

Al Gator and bzfgt like this.
  21. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I wish that there was a requirement for files to be tagged. I get sick of downloading shows from Archive.org and finding none of them are labeled. I know people are finicky about tags, but track number, song title, artist and album tags should always be present.

22. bzfgt

No doubt. It's not so bad when the whole thing isn't titled, but track names are the worst.

23. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

it’s why I use GratefulGrabber extension and download from the Archive. Full tags but only the lossy files are available for download, which is perfectly fine for me.

24. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I suppose inherent in choosing show A for release over shows B through Z is the admission that shows B through Z aren’t as good as A but that’s not what you’re taking about. Other than David L’s comments in the liner notes for some of the ‘80s 30 Trips shows, the closest I’ve seen TPTB come to acknowledging imperfection is a reference in the Dave’s 20 liner notes to the disastrous Jack Straw in the first set.

25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

When my FiiO X3 2nd gen player recently starting stuttering (the jack specifically) I got a Sony Walkman (that is, a new one that plays hi-res audio, takes a SD card and plugs into my car). It has a touch screen but also has buttons on the side for starting and stopping and volume. It’s easy to scroll through the lists and whatnot. I’ll never use 95% of the features because I can’t understand them but I recommend the player.

This is really important to me. I don’t understand all that tagging business. I just want to put the files numbered from 1 to whatever in a directory called “Dave’s 5” or whatever it is and have that appear on screen as I labelled it. The Walkman does that (as did the FiiO).

Billy_Sunday, US Blues and bzfgt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.