Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Believe it or not, not everyone in 1993 had the mentality of Beavis and Butthead.

[​IMG]

2. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Don’t know about Dick’s, but shouldn’t current series have been Dave’s Faves?

3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Google hurt ya, eh? Lol

4. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I certainly did. Schwanz-Auswahl would have been a perfect name.

Freebird and notesofachord like this.
  5. Arrived in the southern interior of BC today.

6. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Jerry sounds good on Gator.

7. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Any story worth mentioning?

Did he really just listen to The Dead ALL day? Hahaha.

8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

As near as I could ever tell, he lived and breathed it but he def was into other stuff, once (at Shoreline in 93) he was carrying on about the Allman Brothers and was leaving the next day to see them in Vegas. I first met him in 88 and then sporadically there after. I was a seldom taper over the years, preferring to get my freak on instead, but I always hung around the boards for a bit before shows. He must've had a million conversations with a million different people, always seemed high as a kite, but also seemed like he remembered exactly where he had met me before. Its funny to think about now, but it was amazing all these familiar people I only ever saw on dead tour. It really was strangers stopping strangers...

Always typical pregame talk, upcoming shows, Jerrys' haircut, and recent breakouts(pre internet word of mouth tour talk and duprees lot rags were much more exciting then waking up and clicking on youtube to see what happened las night). he was the one who told me Carlos was going to sit in for a couple songs at the Bill Graham run in 91.

I still have the copy of 10/21/78 that he gave me

9. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Dave's 32 is my favorite pick of the year, and could become one of my favorites overall. Just a smokin' show (that admittedly takes a few songs to get cooking). All in all, 2019 was a good year for this sub, which is one of the reasons I re-upped despite vowing that 2019 would be my last year due to total 70s Dead saturation. I liked #31 a LOT more than many of you (a solid B+ show for me) and liked #30 a lot less than a lot of you (70 is just not my zone), but 32 is definitely my 'pick of the Picks' this year.

10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Tough to beat a proper '73 show. :agree:

11. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

No sign of mine yet in the UK but USPS/Royal Mail would seem to be a cheaper option for Rhino than UPS (Not called 'Useless Parcel Service' for nothing)

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  12. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

On paper the Dark Star is only a few minutes long! All depends where you want to delineate the end of Truckin' ... there is a good long jam after the song proper and one could posit that the 15+ minutes before v1 is part of this Star. They simply go into the verse to make it official. hmm...

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, laf848 and 9 others like this.
  13. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I was wondering if the brief Dark Star-esque guitar notes at around 35 seconds into the “Jam” track make that the real start of the DS, or if that was more a musical conversation in the moment, i.e. Dark Star was suggested but then they headed somewhere else first. To me the fact that the “Dark Star” track is so short is an indication that they felt they’d already explored that territory for the night, in which case it could all be considered DS.

14. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

For whatever reasons, the heavy sound of the kick/bass drum really bothered me during He’s Gone. So much so that I’ve put off listening to the rest of Set 2.

Freebird, trd and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

The kick drum thing seems to moderate in Truckin'>Jam>Dark Star segment. At least to my ears it does.

16. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Mine arrived on Tuesday.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I’ll keep this in mind. I’ll be back at this over the weekend:)

US Blues and Billy_Sunday like this.
  18. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Definitely a good show for anyone who wants to check out what Billy's doing! The first set is hit or miss - that "Box of Rain" is pretty tough listening - but the 2nd set has a good head of steam going. The drums seem loud in the quiet songs, but much less noticeable in the louder tunes. "Stella Blue" is reaaaaaaaaal nice.

19. Billy_Sunday

That's kinda my take on it as well. There is more Dark Star than just the ~3 minutes or so as tracked/tagged.

20. Billy_Sunday

I am pretty sure this is a show I had on cassette way 'back in the day' but likely not the whole thing... even 2 c-90's would not hold it all!

Pretty crystal clear recording, that's for sure. It's both a blessing and a curse, to a small degree. The vocals seem a bit high in the mix overall. Box Of Rain is probably the worst offender here. Phil's voice seems to be several dbs louder than the rest of the band, and as a result make it kind of a rough listen. It's not that the vocals are bad, they're just a bit too high in the mix. Which is a shame. As someone posted earlier, as far as the performance itself, the band was about as "on" vocally as you could ask for in 73-74. I agree with that assessment. I think another factor is simply how 'dry' the recording is. Now I'm not saying drench it in reverb or anything. This is what board tapes from this era generally sound like. Checking the archive, it looks like no audience tapes from this show circulate. Would be very interesting to hear what this somewhat dry recording sounded like as it happened, in the room.

All this being said, the hot vocals are mostly a first set issue. After that the whole things seems to blend together a bit better.

Crispy Rob, adamos, KCWhistle and 3 others like this.
  21. a sound painter

a sound painter The no drama drumma

#10363 has arrived in Southern Ontario, and appears to be scratch and scuff free to boot. Ripping now and excited to dig in once the right frame of mind has been achieved, once the kiddies have gone to bed.

Crispy Rob, bliss44 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

My initial reaction upon listening to this release was that it was a matrix of two soundboard tapes. It just has that vibe, and in kind of a sterile way. The drum mix definitely improves, or at least I don't notice it as much, as things heat up.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  23. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Okay, third time's a charm with DP32's China/Rider, I think. The recording is super muddy or the mix squished. It makes my head hurt a little. It's especially frustrating when this is your favorite medley. <shouts at sky!>

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  24. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I thought C>R was a low point in this show. Something just seemed a bit off.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

There isn't a single sentence in this post that I understand. I kind of wish I did, it gives me FOMO.

zephyr25 and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.