Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Also remember this release has two different recordists who generally take different mix approaches. Kidd Candelario recorded but he had other duties so he couldn't always spend a lot of time on his mixes; in this case early '73 he was newer to doing the recordings if memory serves. I believe Kidd's tape was in the vault. Rex Jackson recorded his own mix for his own tape much like Betty and much like Betty I believe he had more time to focus on his mix and IMO he was a darn good mixer. I expect that this is the tape that came back in the Betty trunks and I am guessing it was the one primarily used and Kidd's filled in the missing parts.

I've only begun to focus on the differences but using Archtops demarcation Loser feels like Kidd's and the stuff after like Rex's. I am curious what others think.

2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I finally got to check this and I think you are right; it is that same thing recently discussed where in this case Jerry's guitar moves center mix at that mark for a spell and then back out right channel in the jam.

Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and Mad Dog like this.
  3. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

Just revisited 30 this weekend, it has climbed way up my list for favorite Dave's Picks. Spectacular sound quality and great playing with some very unique takes on classic songs.

4. beatboy1975

beatboy1975 Amateur Appreciator

Amen! From what I can gather around here, I always figure that I'm one of the few among us who adores Dave's 6. Apparently I am, along with you and a handful of others. It inexplicably seems to be overlooked, as both shows are classics of the highest quality, unquestionably. I'm listening to it as I type, and I cannot understand why more folks don't dig this one more. It's an all-time keeper for me.

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I'm curious what makes you say this?

6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The only weak part is when Pigpen gets out of sync with the band during Hard to Handle. Other than that, that Fox Theater, St. Louis show is a classic!

7. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

Same here. I've called four times, and they keep telling me the warehouse is just about ready to ship, or it's being expedited, and I should get an email about the shipment in a day or so.

PhoffiFozz and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

This is arguably my "pet" era, so of course I love this release...fun TC-tinted Dark Star (if nothing approaching the monster version on 2/13). But I've gotta say, the bonus disc 12/21/69 is the cream for me. Arguably my most coveted bonus disc, and a crown jewel from the vaults. I think it would've been a classic tape had it circulated. Vocally the finest Masons without a close 2nd, and Jerry's voice is so sweet on Black Peter. It always is on these Dec-Feb versions, but especially this one. Plus you get a '69 Smokestack (and the briefest Good Lovin ever).

9. Dave's 6 and the bonus disc are my favorite of the whole series. But it's so potent I tend to save it for special occasions.

10. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Exactly the same thing here. I am calling again today.

Jackstraw78 likes this.
  11. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I haven't received 32 either. What number are you calling to follow up?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Jeez... sorry to hear that. I hope we can all get this resolved SOON!
    1-800-440-8025

Joe Spivey likes this.
  13. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'm astounded that you guys STILL haven't received them. That's horrid. I hope it gets resolved right quick.

14. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Do check it out, he rules.

15. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Since I posted that I have done so, it is fantastic. I love it and I love that he's playing around with multitracking now, it's powerful but without losing the delicate touch that defines his solo output.

Mother likes this.
  16. PoptopiaDave

PoptopiaDave Forum Resident

Just a heads-up to those who haven't received their Dave's 32 yet. I had contacted Dead.net about a Dave's 31 that I never received as well as a replacement for a damaged Dave's 30 that I got. It took awhile, but in both cases they came through! Received my Dave's 30 earlier this week, and my Dave's 31 today!

Doggiedogma, WaterLemon, ARK and 6 others like this.
  17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Did they contact you before sending the Dave’s 30 replacement? I’ve had a couple of replacement requests pending for a quite a while now. It’s never taken this long to get a response (or a remedy) but with all the problems they’ve been having I figured that wasn’t necessarily unusual.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. PoptopiaDave

PoptopiaDave Forum Resident

They sent me an email a couple months back, informing me that they'd receive a batch of replacement copies in a few months.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Ok thanks. All I’ve received so far is the autoresponder after I made each request; it’s probably time to follow up.

Matthew Tate and PoptopiaDave like this.
  20. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

After a bit of time away I just jumped back into disc three of Dave’s Picks 32. I like this band!

21. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Listening to disc 3 of DaP 32 after recently acquiring on this forum. There are not enough words. This show just keeps picking up steam as you progress through it.

22. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

I listened to that disc yesterday afternoon. It made me late getting to somewhere I was supposed to go because I just couldn't turn it off. (Actually, I did stop it before Johnny B. Goode).

KCWhistle, anth67, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  23. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I had reported my Dave's 30 as missing as two months went by with no sign of it... and it finally arrived one day a few months ago. Yesterday I received the replacement copy I ordered. So if anyone is missing Dave's 30, let me know.

24. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Bummer! I ordered 2 of them, got one (1991), still waiting for the other (1990). Hope that doesn't get canceled too...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    KCWhistle, Joe Spivey, trd and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.